My Video Card Dead?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by marshy61, Feb 26, 2017.

1. marshy61

marshy61 Member

GPU:
    HD7970M
    Hi I have clevo p150em laptop Windows 10
    7970m Hd amd
    Intel 4000hd video card

Today when i was playing game i had "Thread stuck in device driver" blue screen error and i couldnt boot my pc so i had to remove my amd driver in order to boot again.After that i could boot and installed amd drivers again but when i try to open any game that error showed again .I thought maybe i should format my pc but same thing happened again with new windows.
    My last try was formating w7 to try again but now my pc crashes while %50 at driver installation i have no idea what to do

Is it possible to fix my video card or is it completely dead?

p.s:Normally 16.6.x further drivers stuck during installation so tried all with 16.6.2.

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    1) Install Windows.
    2) Install your chipset drivers.
    3) Install your patches to Windows.
    4) Install AMD driver for Notebooks. (there is a difference)
    5) Install Intel driver that supports Optimus.

3. marshy61

marshy61 Member

GPU:
    HD7970M
    Thats never happened me before and i didnt do diffrent thing while i install intel or amd drivers(there is no notebook driver for new releases but im gonna try old leschatlabs drivers) also this thing happened when there is no new windows update
    By the way i managed to install amd driver to my windows 7 but after pc restart windows explorer couldnt operate it kept reseting itself and there was so much lag

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Sounds like an IRQ conflict.

5. marshy61

marshy61 Member

GPU:
    HD7970M
    Even with leshcatlabs driver it doesnt work.I can install without problem but when i try to open any game my graphic card stops and gives an error about graphic driver not responding.I think its dead.

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Did you check that you have the discrete graphics passthru set up properly in Intel driver settings?

7. marshy61

marshy61 Member

GPU:
    HD7970M
    I tried to googled what you said but still didnt unterstand what that is so i didnt checked it.(my system has amd enduro if its means something)

8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    When you have switchable graphic systems with an Intel GPU, the Intel driver controls which GPU is used for which application. All output from the dedicated discrete AMD GPU passes through the Intel one to get to your monitor. In the Intel GPU control panel, you can enable the feature and assign which apps use the AMD one.

9. marshy61

marshy61 Member

GPU:
    HD7970M
    The thing is i have been using this laptop like 3 years and i never done what you said before and never had a problem with my amd.(also couldnt find the settings you mentioned)
    All i do when i want to play a game with my amd card is change a setting in amd not intel.

I've come to the conclusion that no matter what i do my amd wont work.My pc either freeze or crash when i install driver.Because of that i am using only intel ,in future maybe ill do heating the amd driver chip thing which i found that solution in the internet.

Thanks for trying to help

10. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Try disabling the AMD card within the BIOS to see if you can at least use your laptop like that.

It could be that your Win install is also crashing because of driver issues or a broken ISO.

Am not certain if the dGPU chip is baked into the mobo on Clevo laptops but it most likely is. Try checking ebay to see if you can find a spare mobo if you are out of warranty.

If games / benchmark apps do not work with 16.2.1 (use afterburner to confirm) then you might have a burned chip. This is not uncommon. Replacing the cooling units/ fans can be done on an annual basis if your laptop operates 24/7.
    It most likely overheated over the years and gave out.

It could be something as simple as nano fractures on your mobo.
    There is always the option of trying to do a DIY reflow via hairdryer/ heatgun .. or if the mobo is disposable you can pop it into an oven.

11. marshy61

marshy61 Member

GPU:
    HD7970M
    I cant disable my amd but i can use my pc with intel driver without an issue so its all good.
    It might be about fan thing because gpu fan has been making sounds almost 4 5 month and finally burned my card or idk :)
    Also i really dont know anything about mobos and i think my card disposable because there are replacement for my card at ebay(nvidea 980-70)