Download speed problems

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Octopuss, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    I have a really weird problem with my download speeds.
    I pay for 30/10mbit connection and as far as I can tell, I do get what I pay for (roughly 3,4MB/s down and around 1,2MB/s up).
    Everything is fine when I download through a browser.
    The problem is Steam and some torrents.
    I can never ever get more than 1,1MB/s from Steam (basically, 8mbit or so equivalent). Torrents are hit or miss. Some suffer from the same problem, and some happily go full speed.

Interestingly, I get full speed from Origin.

I repeatedly asked my ISP whether they limit certain types of traffic in any way, and they always said no. I tend to believe them, because they definitely have tons of capacity. Where they have optical connection available, they offer symmetrical 1gbit/s speed and it actually runs that fast.

Now my question is, what could be the problem? Especially the Steam speed. Is it possible the limit is applied on a router somewhere between me and Steam servers, and not on my ISP's side?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I other words, you are fine. I know it can be bothersome, but find something else to worry.
    Neither Stean, nor torrents guarantee you your maximum speed.

Try choosing different download server in Steam settings.

3. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Yeah it might be just Steam servers in your part of the world here Steam maxes out my connection every time.

4. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Changing the download location doesn't help at all. That's the first thing I tried.

5. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Also you can only get what they are putting out. For instance I have 60mb down but when d/loading from NVidia I only get 6.5mb down and depends on busy time of day with everyone on at once ect, if you get where I'm going here.

6. Rabbitdude92

Rabbitdude92 Guest

GPU:
    HD7850 2GB
    Wait you pay for 30/10mb but even in browser only get 3.4mb down? Have you ran a speedtest?

7. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Check the case of the letters.

8. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
  9. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    I didn't, but if port forwarding was the problem, downloads would probably not work at all.
    Besides, Origin works just fine and at full speed without any additional settings.

10. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Steam is hit or miss I find.

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    You can call your ISP and ask them to test the quality of your line but like others said, you aren't going to always get consistent download speeds that max out your connection. Mine fluctuate anywhere between 15MB/s and 30MB/s on Steam all the time. Depends on server load, your network load, etc...

12. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    The weird thing is, my line is super stable and I get full speeds out of it 99% of the time.
    [​IMG]
    This is wifi btw. Really good technology my ISP has I'd say.

It's just Steam that's being limited by something somewhere - but I can't figure out what the reason might be.
    My ISP repeatedly told me they don't limit anything. I guess they might not lie considering torrents are not and neither is Origin.
    Steam claims they don't limit speeds either (but the hit or miss thing is very true).

Is it possible that a router somewhere between my ISP and Steam servers is doing this? I asked this in the first post but noone answered that yet.

13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    No. Like said before, you aren't going to always get the advertised speeds. And now knowing you are on WiFi, that would most likely be the cause of your speed fluctuations.
    Also like said before, try different Steam servers to see if anything improves. Other than increasing the speed from your ISP, there's not much you can do.

14. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Sigh.
    My speeds do not fluctuate. At all!

Let me recap.
    I have 30/10mbit connection and I do get those speeds. I can download from anywhere but Steam at ~3,6MB/s any time of a day.
    Steam seems to be hard locked at 1,1MB/s for some reason I am trying to figure out. Download speed from Steam does not fluctuate either. It's just never going faster than 1,1MB/s.

15. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Well, it's not Steam. I changed servers to Czech Republic and it didn't dip below 9.0MB/s.

[​IMG]

Something on your end or the ISP, if the ISP says it isn't them, then it's your end.