Temps with i5 4460

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by dudecat64, Feb 26, 2017.

1. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    Ok i have my i5 4460 with stock cooler. Tonight i decided to use cpu-z cpu stress test to see how the temps were. Well they top out around 60c. WTF stock cooler sucks major at those temps. While under load the cores stayed around 49c according to core temp program. Not to sure how accurate that program is but i can tell the cpu is getting hot cause system slows right down and alot of programs slow to open. After it cools back down system becomes somewhat stable again. So i am thinking water cooling to keep the temps down so i can overclock this cpu over 4ghz to get the max out of it. SO what water cooling kits are lga1150 compatible and offer best bang for the buck. Thanks guys.

2. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

I had that cpu in a budget rig.

No overclocking. Its a non K cpu and Haswell is locked down even with FSB overclocking. Best you can do is 3.4ghz with a decent mobo that lets you lock the turbo boost.

I used a $20 Cooler master cooler with 92mm fan and threat heat pipes and it was 45c @ 3.4ghz in Watch Dogs at 96% load on all 4 cores.

3. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    Well that sums it up i will go ryzen in the future. Sucks that the 4460 are locked so no overclocking.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    You got some other issues going.

49/60c is not hot.

90c is hot.

Pretty decent temps for stock cooler so your problems are else where.

5. pokyeah88

pokyeah88 Member

GPU:
    strix gtx 1070
    my max temp around 60-65, with cooler master hyper t4. but it's hot here at south east asia.

50-55 with air conditioned room.

6. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    Could it be the ram using all four slots? I am not sure what else could have been the issues.

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    you're not making convincing enough case of hw/temps issue.
    (how come its not completly stable when cool?)

id reinstall feeaking windows on spare partition, and see how it goes from there

8. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    I will be stress testing the cpu for couple hours to see if it crashes windows. Will post back later with results.

9. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    ok using cpu-z stress test my cpu topped out at 65c after 3-4 hours of running the cpu stress test. System was stable so maybe it was a driver issue that worked itself out.

10. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

If you are looking for good cooler then I would suggest Cryorig H7 or M9i which are two great coolers, then Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power, Scythe Fuma

AIO or CLC are good but in most cases you will have same temperatures like with good air cooler with lot less noise

Just use good TIM like is Noctua NT-H1 or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and you should be OK

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

11. SOLLERHOLLER1

SOLLERHOLLER1 Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX590 8GB
    I have the same cpu i locked to 3.4ghz and it runs perfect if you want slightly better temps change the stock cooler to a cooler master geminii m4 or m5 should be better then the stock cooler. However thats not the only factor to consider you should also look how your fan setup is setup to get better results. Even though the current temps are not hot i would suggest if it is a gaming rig to make sure on idle you run it at 29 degress to 35 degress Celsius on a average. Which is possible depends on system setup. When gaming u should reach to the 65 degrees barrier max. thats the result i got if anyone with this cpu got similar results share please :)

12. SOLLERHOLLER1

SOLLERHOLLER1 Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX590 8GB
    my point being the lower you can get the higher the lifespan of cpu is what u going to get at the end of the day. However it is not 100% accurate when it comes to lifespan on A product. water cooling is waste of time on a locked cpu rather upgrade it to a unlocked cpu if u plan on water cooling.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  13. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    Well the 4460 went to cpu heaven. My spare motherboard i was testing i got back from gigabyte and killed the 4460. Not sure what happened but its dead now. Contacted intel about it but they can only refund my money for it as they don't stock this processor anymore. I know it wasn't heat related. Gigabyte replaced my second motherboard under warranty. So know i have two lga1150 motherboards with dead cpu.

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Buy another one off ebay?

15. SOLLERHOLLER1

SOLLERHOLLER1 Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX590 8GB
    I am actually not surprised it died u said it was running at 49 degress to 60 degrees Celsius. Because it is a locked processor those temps are a little hot for it to be doing all the time. That's why a none stock cooler is recommended on a new build if you going locked cpu. If you going unlocked cpu water cooling is recommended. :)

16. SOLLERHOLLER1

SOLLERHOLLER1 Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX590 8GB
    no but it could have been board overheated it. When it was running hot so with both temps going to that temp. May have caused a electric interference somewhere very possible.

17. SOLLERHOLLER1

SOLLERHOLLER1 Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX590 8GB
    nevermind no one is getting my point i guess... I don't know why people keep fighting with me when i make a obvious suggestion...

18. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    Sollerholler1 thanks for all the replies. It was a bent pin in the socket i didn't see and thats all it took to fry it. Told gigabyte about it and they were nice enough to replace it but not the cpu. I am going to sell off the boards.

19. SOLLERHOLLER1

SOLLERHOLLER1 Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX590 8GB
    Pleasure anytime :)