Valve Introduces Steam Audio

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Steam Audio is has been released, delivering an advanced spatial audio solution for games and VR apps. Steam Audio includes several exciting features that significantly improve immersion and open up n...

Valve Introduces Steam Audio

2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    If this is the same thing they added to CS:GO, i wasn't that impressed, and turned it off.

3. AMD4Life

AMD4Life Guest

GPU:
    NV GTX 980 TI 6GB
    I've never been much of a fan of virtual surround/reverb effects and always preferred a properly implemented stereo signal with quality headphones. That said, I understand some people feel differently and this has its place.

4. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Bounces, audio occlusion... that was EAX back in Win95-WinXP...

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Wasn't that thing already in Portal? When it came I was bugging around everything. And even at start where there is long fall, you get to hear Wheatley from above with all the echoes.
    But if you hack yourself upwards to source of audio, it shifts as you get closer and becomes clearer while echoes go more to background and have time delay.

6. malitze

malitze Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury X
    Did the same at first but after some patches now I feel locating is easier, especially when it comes to height.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't think any of their current titles implement this system?

For me, the pinnacle of sound is R6 Siege. I don't think it's a very realistic system (in terms of realistic propagation), but it's absolutely incredible for positional audio. I can tell when someone is above or below me and even how many rooms away they are. The destructive system makes it even better, you can blow holes in walls and use that to increase the volume from specific directions. I've played tons of FPS titles and it's by far the most useful in terms of gameplay.

Hopefully this will be as good or better. I'd like to see more gaming companies make use of sound/audio/music in games - I feel like few do it really well yet it has a significant impact on the experience.

8. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Sounds good - nuff said!

9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    If this is the same as what they use in CS:GO, then thanks, but no. It sounds muffled and weird. Like you're underwater.

Meanwhile, using the Dolby Headphone function of my sound card for converting 5.1/7.1 surround to binaural audio for stereo headphones sounds much, much cleaner. And more realistic. With CS:GO's HRTF, the audio seems to mostly come from inside my head. With Dolby Headphone, it actually sounds like it comes from the correct distance around me.

10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    would be very surprised if this is not what they implemented into CS:GO, though i'm certain it's the only title.

In terms of portal 2 earlier in this thread, it definitely was not in that.

http://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/2016/12/17260/

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    This is nothing to do with headphones or the quality of a basic stereo signal.
    Its about simulating how sound bounces around a virtual environment based on objects positions in 3D space and how sound reflects/is blocked by them.

What you are suggesting is akin to using bitmap images to create every image possible in a game environment.
    They cannot record every single way a sound can be heard and make it vary as needed.

12. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    If you truly want immersive, accurate and high quality sound you really need a good receiver and some kick ass speakers. But it will cost you a fair bit. Headphones can be great don't get me wrong, but they can't ever emulate 6(or more) individual $1000 speakers (each). Nor can they shake the room :)

13. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Well said and I agree, this Steam Audio thing is a positive, some games currently try to do this & some work better than others, will be interesting to see how good the positional audio is with this new system. For this implementation it sounds as if some simple good audiophile headphones is the best way to experience any benefits of this.

14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    eax was jusr reverb and other cheap effects type of garbage to begin with, and Creative killed A3D and Aureal, which had had a proper physical model of sound propagation, and which hopefully Steam Audio aims to be

15. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    It'd be nice. Seems like most developers don't want to take the time to implement better audio or don't think it matters.

16. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    It had nothing to do with Creative Labs as Aureal won favorable lawsuit any way and that alone should have give them a big boost in investor at the time in grant slam of things because of financial scandal with Media Vision in long run aureal still end up filed for bankruptcy as lack of no financial backing, poor management practices, total lack of financial accountability that cause they own doing in first place.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  17. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    True, at least in the case of Fallout 4 which I was just playing today - the positional audio is terrible, very hard to locate an enemy based on their voice etc, with their distance being a particularly hard thing to judge from it. (In fact I just uninstalled that game after only 23hrs play - I found it depressing & boring & just a chore, least I got my SSD space back now! Strange as I remember being engrossed & enveloped in New Vegas.)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  18. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7700 XT
    There's nothing strange about that. New Vegas was developed by Obsidian (talented) while F4 was developed by Bethesda (boring).

19. qqryq

qqryq Active Member

GPU:
    GigabyteGeForceGTX970 OC
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It would be nice as a plugin for Foobar with ASIO, WASAPI ...
    Unfortunately the Windows mixer loses a lot of detail.