AMD RX 500 series line-up by May or June 2017

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    There is some new information floating around about AMD's next-gen line-up of graphics cards. A lot is being shuffled to introduce a new line-up before the summer starts. Vega 10 and Vega 11 chips wi...

AMD RX 500 series line-up by May or June 2017

2. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    AMD competing with Nvidia's top of the line? Wow. That would be great. I hope they'll adopt Ryzen prices. ;)

3. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Really these cards should have been released sometime summer last year, it's all well a good to finally have some competition in the top end it's just very very late to the table. specially if the rumours about Volta coming out later on this year which will leave these cards in the dust... again

4. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017

5. MainFrame Alpha

MainFrame Alpha Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 TI
    this would explain Nvidia rushing to release 1080TI and the rumors about the upcoming Volta.
    if Polaris is going to be a part of the RX500 series are we going to see a refresh and a re-brand?
    and if Vega is gonna be released by May/June to compete with the GTX 1070 & 1080 and maybe even the 1080Ti, but at the same time Nvidia is going to release Volta line :3eyes: maybe June/July :bang:
    dose this mean AMD is going to be one step behind Nvidia performance wise AGAIN!
    or there is something i am missing here.
    HH should know more by now :nerd: i know busy with all the new toys testing for the 28th :infinity:

6. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    A lot of people are not willing to pay Nvidia prices, so I think the trick is the price point. Assume that the 590 has the performance of a 1080, but at a much lower price. I'm sure that'll convince some to try AMD again. In that case AMD sure does compete with Nvidia.

7. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    I wasn't willing to pay for a 1080, or a 1070 when they came out. They did not fulfill the desire to buy a GPU that cost less than what I had before and performed at the very minimum 100% better than the GTX 680 I had.
    The RX 480 seemed to fit the bill, so I got one when they were relatively new and on sale. Because inflated price made me unwilling to buy one. Did not consider nvidia at all at this price range because the 1060 just doesn't cut it imo.

So price is important... but what's more important is the reduction of the idea that AMD is somehow absolutely terrible. The whole fanboy attitude is just terrible for consumers everywhere.

And it doesn't matter in the slightest whether or not they are slightly behind, it's a bare minimum that buys the highest end products, especially right at launch.

8. MainFrame Alpha

MainFrame Alpha Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 TI
    i was not talking price, price have been always the AMD advantage, and i am definitely not talking from a point view of a fanboy, my loyalty is always to my wallet :nerd:
    the RX400 made a lot of people update to AMD and you could clearly see it from a market share point of view:)
    i clearly said (performance) wise which is normally the Nvidia marketing strategy for a new product lunch.

9. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I'm mad to update my GPU for almost a year now, was going to swap my R9 270X for a RX470/480 but found the prices in my country not attractive enough and couldn't sell the old girl for a good price so I stick with it. Vega is not something I can afford, hopping for an affordable Polaris refresh, maybe a RX570?

10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Oh lordy , more and more great news , i cannot wait for a full review of the Big Vega so that i can compared the price versus performance ratio of GTX 1080Ti versus the Big Vega , keep them coming ...

11. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Wow, AMD is on fire lol.

Can't wait to make my new build this year, seems like an amazing year to upgrade/build pc's!

12. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    Love the fact that AMD is pushing the envelope. With the way they're pricing their new stuff, hopefully this will drive down the cost of hardware. Intel and Nvidia have been overpricing their products far too long. But with the way I see it, AMD is banking all their eggs in a basket hoping they will sell a lot from Ryzen and VEGA with competitive prices. Hopefully they'll do well, if not I don't think we will see the company around for long.