60fps in Fallout 4 at 4K?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Danny_G13, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Cannot for the life of me figure this one out. I cannot seem to get Fallout 4 at 60fps at 4K with 980Ti SLI.

That hardware (inc. 4790K @ 4.5Ghz) should be able to hold 60 in this game even at 4K - it's hardly an incredible looking game.

And I've seen plenty of evidence 60fps is quite possible with this rig at 4K but for everything I've tried, including all the bits with Nvidia Inspector, I cannot seem to get much if any scaling at 4K in this game. I'm getting around 30-50fps here. Something is clearly not quite right.

Is there a trick I don't know about? I have noticed I cannot find Fallout 4 in the drop down box of Nvidia Profile Inspector as a profile, and have to make my own.

What am I missing here?

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Two things, Ansiotropic filtering to 4x and Shadow distance to medium. I have everything else set to Ultra and I can maintain 60 FPS at 1440p. Shadow distance is the real FPS killer. If you don't have a Fallout 4 profile that shows in Nvidia Inspector that leads me to ask what driver version you're using.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    For some reason in this title, setting AF 4X is smoother...less juddery, and adds a couple of FPS for no perceptible decrease in image quality. Bilago has a really nice config tool on Nexus for FO4.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/102/?

4. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    Personally, I've found that Fallout 4 SLI scaling is questionable at best. If I were to guess, I'd say a second card adds about ~20%. I wasn't monitoring CPU usage, so no idea if that was limiting it (at the time a 5930K OC'd to 4.5GHz).

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    The scaling is sh1t because of a poorly threaded gamebro engine.

Try faster RAM mhz/timings and you'd be surprised on the increase.

6. fl2015

fl2015 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Both shadows and godrays are highly demanding on CPU, big problem with shadows is that on ultra and high the distance settings aren't that different yet medium the settings have too low amount.

So rather than just sticking shadows on medium it's best to go into the FalloutPrefs.ini and edit the following settings:

fDirShadowDistance=
    fShadowDistance=

The first one I believe is dynamic shadow distance, this is the biggest performance hit and should be set lowest. I recommend below 7000 for both settings as this provides a good balance between medium and high.

Next shadow setting is:

iDirShadowSplits=

This basically controls the shadow detail pop-in, lowering it can increase fps.

For godrays either have them off or follow this as a guide on how to reduce the performance impact of ultra (as other settings add pixelation):

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15211/?

7. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    I was on the newest ones, but I've removed and gone up to the hotfix 72's and the profile is there now.

The one hard and fast answer in this thread seems to be tweaking various visual settings. Which does show how poor this engine is these days.

8. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Done most of the various tips of what this thread suggested, thank you everyone for the ideas, and I do see a big boost in performance. It doesn't quite nail 60fps constant, but is more like 40-65 depending on location. Didn't think I'd have to reduce game attributes with this hardware, but apparently I did!

Certainly better but still not really good enough!

9. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    It's better than you give it credit for. I ran it with one 980Ti and the performance was more or less unplayable. About 15-25fps I'd say. But the second one put it to around 30-50. Still pretty awful but scaling. Just.

10. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Been wanting better RAM for a while now. The amount I have is fine, but 1866MHz is quite modest now. I want 3000MHz stuff.

11. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Guys you can't run games in 4k yet... Not with a 980 SLI or a 1080 SLI , Im talking 60fps at all times and all details set to high. No matter what scenario you get 60fps locked ...

The 1080 Ti cant do this either. Try the new nvidia GPU's coming in 6 months or soo and SLI them and I think you can get 60fps constant 0AA 16x AF all details set to high. thanks gl

12. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    I get 1 fps in any game I run at 4k so a 980 should give 30fps,, and sli give 45fps but there will be drops. Not until the new nVidia generation SLIed, then you can do your 4k Im shure. gl

13. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Your CPU is not the problem, its plenty, resolution strictly has to do with the video card and video cards cant drive 4k yet. thx

14. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Maybe a 512 memory bus with 8GB GDDR5 1080 Ti can give you a playable experience, but nothing to get excited about.

15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    The edit button is there for a reason!

16. fl2015

fl2015 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    On a single GTX 1070 at it's factory clocks with a much older CPU I get around 45 fps average at 4k DSR. Keep in mind I don't have the high res texture pack installed VRAM usage hovers around 4.6 GB.

I would of had a guess that it was your cpu holding you back, although I did see this vid of someone running it with 80% scaling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdUaaPytFaY

I'm guessing you might of already tried that though?

17. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Turn off godrays! That setting alone takes 50% of the fps. (and volumetric lighting if you need even better performance)
    Use fallout 4 tweaker for easy tweaking of settings.
    http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/102/?

18. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Sorry about that yasamoka, I got exited :0

19. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Yeah had a look at all this, and my performance is far better now, if still nowhere near locked into 60.

But this was my point; my hardware SHOULD be enough to run this game at 4K at 60fps at max, but it isn't. The game engine is older than my nephew, more or less, and yet my hardware struggles with it at 4K?

I should point out I too am using the ultra texture pack, but I am having to bring so many settings down to get a consistent framerate.

Prehistoric engine, it really is.

20. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Are you high or just randomly typing words in?

21. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Very odd. I decided to verify the cache and lo and behold I am now locked into 60 for the most part. We'll see how long this holds up.