Could Nvidia be prepping a Volta release?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    So currently I am on a business trip and I get a message over facebook from somebody that I do not know personally. He posts that Volta just appeared in HW IDs. After the break more. ...

Could Nvidia be prepping a Volta release?

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Nobody has 10nm yet, so it's either a paper launch or it's not really Volta.

3. tezza192

tezza192 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980TI
    Absolute clickbait Guru3D - Im dissapointed you are going down the same route as WCCFTech :(

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Not clickbait at all you guys. It has been rumored more then once that Nvidia is giving its Volta a 16nm FinFET treatment.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I've heard of this as a 12-14nm refresh for Pascal later this year...but....mum is the word.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  6. looniam

looniam Guest

GPU:
    RTX3060 bcuz
  7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    OK - That would be the original source then, thus spotted in the AIDA database. Yep I find this an interesting spot.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  9. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Announcing Volta for Supercomputers, who will not be seen in them till 9months ? and launch the 1080TI for march in midtime ... quite possible..

GP100 was launched this way, ( and still not available outside HPC super contract ).. GM100 was too released this way ..

10. Inolvidable

Inolvidable Guest

GPU:
    MSI GXT 970
    If the same year we had Ryzen with exceptional performance and price, Vega and Volta (and Scorpio and Nintendo Switch..)... Oh boy! Thank God I started to update some key components little by little a while ago (a 10 years old PSU, Case, 8TB Nas HDDs and SSD) and I have been saving agressively since then for the right moment to spend big. To me that is one of the best moments for a PC enthusiast that happens rarely these days (once every 3-5 years or more).
    The fall seem like the most probable season to buy big (but smart). Ryzen will have been tested well enough and the new GPU's wharever they are will also be around the corner or already there.

The only drawback about waiting till the fall is that Intel might have a brutal response to Ryzen a few months away. Intel does not like roadmap changes but who knows...

We'll see

11. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock

You will not see Volta in gaming parts before a good while ( let say, one year ) ... WHat you will see is a good presentation of it, with contract for supercomputer ( who can take a good year before be finalized )... It is how have work Nvidia thoses last 3 generations .. and this will not change.

When i say that Nvidia is better at marketing that Apple ...

12. Inolvidable

Inolvidable Guest

GPU:
    MSI GXT 970
    Unfortunatelly that makes sense. I hope that Ryzen and Vega can deliver (meaning decent performance improvements). I am not expecting anything revolutionary but at least better than the usual 3-5% overall improvement for the same price we are used to.

On the bright side, any modern CPU will be a huge upgrade to me. I begin to feel how my system is getting old for my needs. This beauty has given me a lot for what I paid for it, but this time I am more into the high performance mood rather than in the price/performance one. I am part gamer part heavy multitasker and I have really missed more cores/threads...

13. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I agree with others, most likely 1080Ti announcement and at same time announce Volta with future release roadmap. Highly doubt Volta is so close to release, however if thats the case, Nvidia perhaps wants to destroy Vega?

"shrug"

14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Really, as much as Ryzen is a done deal for me, on the GPU side i think it's gonna be a tough call to make this year.

I feel like upgrading my 5820K+980-Ti this year

15. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    With your 980ti at 1515Mhz is 1080ti really gonna be a big upgrade considering 1080ti is probably not very overclockable? GTX 1080 wouldn't be a big upgrade over your overclocked 980ti for instance.

On topic of Volta release, I don't think we're gonna be seeing it this year, I would bet there will be another iteration of Pascal instead later this year.

16. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I don't see why the 1080-Ti shouldn't be highly overclockable? The full ships are usually more robust and remain relevant longer. My 980-Ti is missing some juice for my fancy 4K monitor.

17. baasgene

baasgene Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuf OC
    So, you think a CPU upgrade will in anyway benefit you at 4k? Not very soon. I will upgrade my 5820k in 3 years only probably, perhaps 4.

18. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Where did he mention CPU in that comment? o_O

19. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    All Pascal GPUs don't overclock far, they all kinda stop in the 2000-2100Mhz mark for actual clocks you'll see while gaming, so overclocking doesn't bring big gains - unlike how far you overclocked your 980ti in comparison to it's stock clocks.

20. baasgene

baasgene Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuf OC
    Lol he didn't, I quoted his other post by accident :)