1080 Ti = 1070 GTX prices go down ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Hammie, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    I know next month the 1080 Ti comes out. My question is when it comes out will the price of the 1070 GTX 8GB drop, compared to now which is close to 360 to 400 dollars right now. Thanks :banana:

2. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    Maybe but nothing major till amd can answer with powerful card. Then prices will start dropping.

3. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Come on guys there's like a massive price gap between 1080 and Titan XP to be filled, be surprised if there's any price drop at all, let alone upto 100 dollars.

Only Vega being awesome could bring the price down, and that's only if AMD dont charge anywhere near as much as Nvidia imho

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    nVidia has dropped prices on X70 & X80 with every Ti launch so far, why should this time be any different? They want to sell cards right? And slapping a 1200$ price tag instead of 800$ wont exactly help in that regard.

5. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Thanks for the responses guys. So looks like the 1070 GTX 8GB soon will be a 300 dollar card. A little OCing and your set. gl

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I dont see why. Prices only go down if theres something directly competing with them. Either if AMD has something or if Nv has replacements for the 1070/1080. The Ti doesnt compete with them, its just a higher performing card with a logically higher price.

7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    This

8. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    More like 349,99 i'm sure

9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Based on the last decade, I'd say little if any price adjustment. They serve a different audience.

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    nVidia isn't stupid. What's the point in selling overpriced cards if noone is going to buy them?

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Well they have been over-priced since day 1 and people have been buying them. Dont you think the reason they are over-priced is because there is no competition?

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I understand what you mean but there is a limit to what the masses will buy. The Titan is just a luxury item that a few select enthusiasts bought. The 1080 on the other hand sells fairly well (with 1070 and 1060 in the lead). If nVidia keeps pricing it's cards like they use to, ~850-900$ for the Ti, they they'll sell fair quantities. But if they price it at 1300$ I doubt that the card will appeal to more than enthusiasts.

13. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I think the titan is there so no one can blame them of hiding the good big chip hehe, everthing was more exciting when they were making the best cards they could do. Milking the market seems to be the priority nowadays, look at all these guys upgrading their 1080s within the same generation, not only they are paying more, they are paying twice :3eyes:

14. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    ^ This. For example, I was keeping track of the the last series (970's), when the 1070's series came out. Almost 2 years later the price drop was about $20-$30 down for an 970 compared to what I paid for mine. It really all depends on the retailer, and how much they have in stock.

Retailers buy their stock in bulk from an distributor for a set amount. They can't go to much lower then their profit margin, or they will lose money. That isn't going to happen. So, I would not hold your breath.

15. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    The equation for costing any (global) item or service can be complex and is based on a huge number of factors.
    Yes competition comes into it as does recouping R&D cost plus profits plus meeting shareholder expectations plus profit margins plus global currency fluctuations plus global economic states plus consumer confidence plus strategy (loss leaders) blah blah blah.
    So NV start off with a per unit costing taking all R&D and production costs into account, then they add a predetermined standard profit margin. That figure is the bare minimum sales price (the must have), they will then look at competition for that model and the other factors as mentioned above, that gives them a best case price (a nice to have).

16. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    $999 confirm 1080Ti

17. HittriX

HittriX Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    Like Nvidia would confirm a price before they announce the product :wanker:

18. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    If it was $999 then they would shoot themselves in the foit. That is titan prices right now on sale. Unless it was about 5% slower then maybe that high of price. I would put it around $850-900 tops depending what company u buy.

19. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Sad, GPU's cost 3 x more then a CPU ... sad.. their milking money. I will never spend more then 300 dollars on a video card. thx

20. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    Um that depends on the cpu. You get to intels top tier cost more then these graphics cards do.