Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Arrives late March

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Chart doesn't line up for me in firefox

3. SuperAverage

SuperAverage Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte xtreme 1080
    Just move the top line over one column, was confusing as hell to me too, but then again, im drunk.
    As usual.

4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Do hope there will be AIO cooled versions of the TI. If that's the case, will certainly consider swapping my 1080 for a Ti. Lets see!

5. dwiewolverine

dwiewolverine Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 Ti SLI
    yeahh yeahh yeahh:banana:

6. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    10GB memory seems unlikely, its a way too odd amount for such a bus width.

7. moeppel

moeppel Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    8+2 :nerd:

Anyhow, I don't see this card as attractive in terms of price:performance given how the 1070 and beyond are priced. Unless AMD pulls another Zen with VEGA that also won't change in the foreseeable future.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Shut up, release the card, and take my money :banana:

I hope the custom board partner's variants won't be away too far, and that the waterblock manufacturers don't take too long :nerd:

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Smaller 4096SP Vega will be cheaper to make than 4096SP Fiji and will apparently perform better. So AMD will have this to face GTX 1080.

GTX 1080Ti is something to be faced with Bigger Vega. At least in terms of performance.
    And considering impact of what technologies AMD puts in GPUs, I'll wait for Big Navi as that should last for quite a few years.

10. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    AMD didn't even manage to get the 1070/1080 competitors out, and now Nvidia is already releasing the next step. That really reveals how bad AMD's financial situation is: Everything takes forever.

11. baasgene

baasgene Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuf OC
    my 1080 is doing fine, it allows me to wait for Vega and see what they offer. I feel that Amd has a winning formula these days they really give Nvidia a go in DX12 and Async titles. They're still competing with cards that have been for sale for 3 and a half years (290x)

If Vega is within a stone throw of Pascal performance, then they will really kill it in DX12 games.

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Yes but Vega will be that much sweeter when it does come out. And cheaper too!
    For having me wait this long, dirt cheap is what I expect.

13. moeppel

moeppel Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Picked up a Fury Nitro temporarily which I'll likely swap for a vega card come their releases.

Anyway, looking at the specs the 1080 sits fairly neatly between the 1080 and Titan Pascal. That said, given that both the numbers are known the question remains who that 1080Ti will really be for. Then the thing of it coming a year later than it needed to - unless those chips were sold off somewhere else.

Overkill in 1080p and likely still just a bit too little for 4K60hz. This leaves the 1440p bracket which is currently likely driven by more 'enthusiast cards' such as the Fury, 1070 or 1080 already. All of those likely not worth trading for a 1080Ti given its (yet unknown, but expected) price tag.

Now, there is a small chance that AMD may have been sandbagging with Vega but I personally don't believe it until I see it. I do however look forward o the Fury successors.

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Vega is a big question mark right now, when we get the first real benches we will get an idea. Other than that, it's merely a wildcard. With AMD's history, I have a hard time buying every bench that's "leaked" as valid under real everyday use circumstances.

Fox, what tech's are AMD putting on theri GPUs? Haven't owned one in years, does it justify a buy for those extras?

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    AMD did pull another AMD...
    As in a way, Fiji with current prices and driver updates is competitor to GTX 1070.
    (Yes, not overclocked vs Overclocked, but masses do not overclock.)
    Probably not even big Vega for me. But it is close. AMD Navi will have fully working ability to discard invisible geometry at low computational (time) cost.
    Vega has just an taste of it (AMD stated double geometry throughput in slides and final notes state 2.6x, but 11/4 = 2.75).

For Navi to be brought down to its knees one will have to put as many visible polygons on screen as possible. Invisible polygons will be just culled at nearly no time cost.
    I expect that geometry which brings Navi on knees will slaughter any current GPU.

And as such I expect Navi to last till developers have reason to put extreme polygon complexity on screen.
    Fiji: 4 geometry Engines = 4 polygons per clock processed
    Vega: 4 geometry engines = 11 polygons per clock processed
    - - - -
    Then there is shader/compute performance. I remember that Slide for Vega and talk Raja had about improvement. He was very optimistic and slide was either wrong or crazy in potential.
    Slide not only shown double operations per tick, but it did show double frequency in comparison to old GCN.
    (And I was like, are they pulling old nVidia's double shader clock?)
    And then I connected 2 together (Infinity Fabric), can this actually allow for Shaders to tick at different speed than rest of the chip without additional latency/complexity? Like 20% higher clock?
    [​IMG]
    - - - -
    And afterward there is Memory handling. Vega already has promise coming with it:
    - greatly reduced utilization of vram in comparison to current GPUs under same gaming conditions
    -> that as consequence reduces stutter from caching of stuff which is not needed
    - improved compression and ability to load from memory only parts of textures which are needed for rendering for given polygon (if you see only 10% of some surface, then only ~10% of texture covering it will be loaded)
    = = = =
    There are some other not so big things for gaming. But Vega has 1st iteration of many things and Navi will have them fine tuned + some new stuff (if we are lucky).

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    If it was 1070 competitor they wouldnt be selling it on flash sales for 200 something bucks ;)

To anyone buying 4GB card I say, GO WITH CHRIST!
    :D

17. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    How much will this be>? $ 800 I assume?

18. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Well I have been saying this from day one. Nvidia will drop their 1080Ti before AMD can drop Vega. And behold AMD have no easy task with their Vega cards. I'm actually thinking that the whole Vega lineup is taking waaaay to long and that at the end of the day will bite AMD in the sack. By the time they launch their Vega cards, Nvidia will be working on something new again. I still don't know why on earth AMD is so slow with GPU launches.

19. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Or they are just less competent than NVIDIA?

20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    They never pulled their Maxwell. So they are that much behind.

The only thing keeping them in game is highly generic nature of gcn, and its ability to execute well on modern workloads. But it seems like they've hit perf/watt wall with gcn, and without Maxwell like arch. redesign they wont be able to execute well.