RX 480?? any good?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by korennya, Feb 15, 2017.

1. korennya

korennya Member

GPU:
    sapphire 390 8gb w/bp
    I'm dealing with the damn memory freq flux on my 390 and all this black screen crashing. It's really pissing me off. I started an RMA on it but it's likely not going to fix the issue given what I've read and how many people are having this problem.

So i'm wondering now how bad the RX 480 is? Is it seriously flawed like the 390/390x? Don't really want to deal with another mountain of headaches. I'd get a 1080 if it wasn't so damn expensive, but the Rx 480 has a promo goign on where i can get it for $220. Decent deal, but not if it it's just more problems.

I would be putting it on a 1080 60hz display, but it might also run a 4k 55" tv as well. So needs to be stable in both configurations.

Thoughts? I've been team red since the 9700 pro (that was a good card) but considering team green now. I've had it.

Wish I could wait for Vega, but it's going to be out of my price range anyway.

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    If you game at 1080@60Hz and play media content on a 4k 55' TV, it is a worthy graphics card.Be sure to get the 8 GB version.
    Don't want to present my opinions as facts, but i bought the RX 480 and for now it is the best card in that price range $200-220.
    But of course, there is always a green team waiting to get your money and offer something else.
    Don't get the reference model, it is cheapest, but the loudest in its own right.
    After a few hiccups, i ended with XFX RX 480, custom PCB and maybe the quitest RX480 around.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I think you should try to reach for something like GTX1070. You can use that extra performance. Going from R9 390 to RX480 you gain nothing.

4. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I agree with Undying, given that you're coming from a 390, the 480 would just be a sidegrade and would bring nothing to the table other than reduced power consumption - if you wanted an upgrade you could consider the Fury, or 1070 or, if you can wait, wait for Vega but we really have no idea when Vega is due.

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Just stay with the stable driver until it's ironed out. Your card is fine. The absolute minimum you should go should be a 1070, but Vega is literally around the corner.

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The GTX 1070 also costs quite a bit more than the RX 480. I would say wait for Vega :).

If you do decide to upgrade your card keep in mind the rest of your computer will likely hold it back. You haven't listed the rest of your specs, the most important considerations are the FX cpu in use, the RAM amount and speed, and the PSU.

7. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    I found the RX480 a great card but I was coming from a 2GB R9 285 so was a pretty good step up for me where as the R9 390 > RX 480 maybe only 3~5% better with better power consumption

If you can get it for cheap then do so

8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    As a fellow 390 user, the memory flux issue was fixed in 17.1.2, and 17.2.1 is working fine too. What is causing your black screen? Is it from overclocking causing screen fail using 3rd party app?

9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

11. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    Powercolor red devil 8gb RX 480 here, no issues at all, smooth and quiet, $219 at newegg, thinking of getting another one for crossfire x, I'm using fx 9590 at 5.1ghz with gigabyte 990fx gaming board.

12. korennya

korennya Member

GPU:
    sapphire 390 8gb w/bp
    No. the card is completely stock setup. I can really only guess what is causing my crashes. It does it mostly at idle or web browsing and I'm using 17.2.1 right now. It's better with this driver but certainly not fixed. Computer needs to be reset every 6-8 hours or it will crash with a black screen.

I tried tweaking voltages only a little to try and stablize it but they do absolutely nothing and I have no idea why. If i try to just set voltage control to manual from auto in wattman screen goes black and I have to reboot and hope the setting wasn't stored or it'll just go black endless cycle.

I tried just adjusting core voltage in AB but nothing happens. WHen I load the gpu and watch hwinfo core voltage stays the same no matter what I do to the voltage adjustment, even when running at it's default max 1040mhz speed.

I missed the deal on the 480 hoping to just RMA this card and wait it out for vega. Even if Vega is out of my price range hopefully it will push down the price of the current market cards to within reason.

As far as the rest of my system, it should support a 1080/vega just fine. It's a fx-6300 running at 4.5ghz, NB/HT at 2600, and memory currently at 2133, but I've had it up at 2400 fine. Have a nice 960 evo supplying the data.

Only time i've noticed it slow down was heavy physics going on, but on 1080 gaming I run everything on max and have it frame limitied to 60, and that's pretty much where it always is. If it wasn't for the damn crashing when Idle, it'd be pretty happy with the 390.

And no.. it's not my cpu OC causing it. It crashes with the whole system on stock settings.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    My brother got XFX RX 480. Only problem he had was that Freesync @ 144Hz mode sometimes thrown black line on screen and tiny almost unnoticeable change of gamma in between frames (little blinking). But still noticeable.

Solved by us exchanging DP cables as his was 3m and mine was just 80cm.

As for performance:
    RX 480 is constantly in performance around 1~5% above r9-390x. So while it is tiny upgrade for you with r9-390. One can say it is side grade.
    But there are games where it matches Fury X in performance. (Not many.)
    - - - -
    As for your issue.
    Many people had trouble with moving from Crimson to ReLive drivers. as some components did not update.

I would try uninstall through AMD uninstaller (Remove All AMD...). restart and then install 17.2.1 followed by another restart. And then check if driver version match that what you was installing.

14. chris89

chris89 Master Guru

GPU:
    RADEON R5 M430 2GB
  15. darkcoder

darkcoder Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
    Since you will be moving from a 390, you will be doing a downgrade if move to a 480.

16. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    The only two logical answers i could come up with is either
    1: upgrade to fury or 1070gtx
    2: wait and see what vega brings to the table.

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Crossfiring the RX480 would probably go to waste on the old AMD platform. It would be better to put that money towards a motherboard and CPU upgrade to Ryzen :).

18. BugMeister

BugMeister Guest

GPU:
    2x RX480 NITRO+OC(8G)
    - I'd go for it, no probs here
    - amazing cards..

19. entropism

entropism Member

GPU:
    GTX 570
    You can snag an XFX GTR 8GB rx-480P8DFA6 off Jet.com (mine shipped from newegg) for under $220. If I didn't have to pay tax (I live about 15 minutes from Newegg's NJ location) it would have been $207 shipped.

Just use TRIPLE15 for a promo code (it's for new members' first 3 orders) and you get 15% off.

20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio