Why should I care about 8 core processors?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by IhatebeingAcop, Feb 12, 2017.

1. IhatebeingAcop

IhatebeingAcop Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    As a gamer, most games four cores. Why should I care about Ryzens 8 core processors?

Thanks
    Adam!

2. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Actually alot of new games are using more then 6 cores/threads.

Quite a few load up my 12 threads on my 3930k. The whole games only use 4 cores was really back for me 2010 ish era.

Bad Company 2 was the first real game to utilize Hyperthreading with 8 threads properly.

Dirt 1 was able to use 8 threads but did not run correctly on hyperthreading. But used 4 cores rather well.

Personally, I would not even use 4 cores anymore, even as a game. Especially if you play any Battlefield games or frostbite games online or even many online games. Unless you play e sports "crap".

I have an i5 2400 rig 4 threads @ 3.4ghz, Phenom X6 1055t @ 3.5ghz, Xeon X5670 12 threads @ 3.6ghz, and my 3930k 12 threads @ 4.6ghz that I test many things on.

3. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Short answer is, you shouldn't care for it personally, at least not for a few years yet. Unless you are looking for a new PC, then it wouldn't be a bad idea to consider it.

For the industry though, its great, as it may help the price of Intel 8 cores drop as it competes with them performance wise.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Of those games that can use more than 6 threads, most dont need to with a fast enough CPU.
    4 cores with HT (or equiv) with high IPC that clock high still rule almost everything.
    6 or 8 cores with HT dont clock as well so are less capable for gamers.

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If you have just bought a 4 core CPU, then no i would worry about it that much.
    If you are looking for a new CPU and want it to last for many years then it's definitely something to consider.

Most games nowadays started development many years ago, and/or were aimed at lower specced hardware.

If AMD can make 8 core CPU's affordable then developers will be more inclined to take advantage, then there are console that favour core count over clock speed.

Many games/engines could be built around having more than 4 cores, and unlike graphics settings that can easily be scaled down if you have an older GPU, there might just no way of making that game playable.

6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    If gaming is all you do, then no you shouldn't care too much. Buy the fastest quad core you can afford and call it a day.
    If you do any video/photo editing then it would be beneficial now.

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Don't forget Project Scorpio. It's so close to being a PC that games released on it and PC would likely be essentially the same (not ports). There may be some improvements etc. The game engine though would basically be the same, and Scorpio is 8 core, probably 16 thread. For future games therefore, 8 cores would be advantageous.

8. wsgroves

wsgroves Guest

If all you do is game, they will still have their future uses. For those that do more things with their pc such as rendering etc, they are a godsend. I with they were going to release the 16 core version for home use.

9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah if gaming is all you do than a quad i7 or i5 should be fine for a while to come. But if you do video rendering then a hex or 8 core Cpu will be better and faster for that. With me gaming with a little bit of video rendering a quad i7 is more than enough to fit my needs no problem.

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Got a hexacore, was hoping to see it make some sense, won't happen soon though. Making use of more than four cores in games is still somewhat a rarity...

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah same here with holding on to my current rig for many years to come because it will take some time for programs (other than video editing software) and games to use more than 4 cores. Plus if anyone that has a hex core or a 8 core currently and they decide if they want to live stream the extra cores will help alot.

12. @renadier

@renadier Master Guru

GPU:
    2X AMD R280X @ 1072/1250
    I'm using 70% of my 8 core cpu playing bf1 ,I assume that would be 100% for a 4 core.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^^
    AMD FX has higher cpu usage in general.

OT
    future proofing? I was gonna get me a 8core 3yers ago, but back then there was no Haswell 8core yet, ok 1 yr later and only X variant for 1000€ - no tnx.

14. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    That's not how it works.

15. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    I would still pick my crappy 4c/4t cpu over any 8 core cpu with lower IPC.

[​IMG]

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Plus the FX 8 core is much different than the RyZen 8 core and the Intel 8 core.

Also it would depend on BF1 and what part of BF1 you are playing.

17. ontelo

ontelo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Well DX12/Vulcan really start to benefit from threads. I wouldn't go with 4 cores anymore. Future proofing!

18. Rillipiru

Rillipiru Master Guru

GPU:
    660 ti 2GB
  19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It won't be king, but it will likely get close enough that only the PC Master Race people will care.

20. Rillipiru

Rillipiru Master Guru

GPU:
    660 ti 2GB