Samsung KS8000 65" SUHD 4K HDR Smart TV best PC gaming settings ?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by chispy, Feb 11, 2017.

1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I have just bought a brand new Samsung KS8000 SUHD HDR 65" Smart TV to replace my Vizio 4K UHD D50uD1 50" Smart TV on my man cave to future proof me and be set for the next 3~5 years. It will be used on a daily basis for everything from watching normal TV , Blu Ray movies , 4K content and HDR in Netflix , Hulu and youtube. I will have the TV professionally calibrated in a few days by a TV certified technician.

It will also be used as my PC Monitor to play games at 4K HDR 60Hz and here is where i might need some help.

What's better for 4K gaming , Full RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4 ? I'm still a noobie at all this new tech. Is HDR will be widely supported in future PC games ? ( High Dinamic Range - http://www.samsung.com/global/tv/blog/what-is-HDR-and-why-is-it-the-future-of-4k-tv.html ).

I'm overwhelm by the information and my old brain cannot process and digest so much information out there , i have spent already 4 to 5 hours googling all kinds of stuff that i need to learn. I would like some feedback and details on all of this subjects but watered down in layman's terms so i can understand. Also any recommendations for a good sound bar 2.1 set up ?

The TV is connected thru HDMI 2.0 from my GTX 1070 , right now i'm using 4K 60Hz YCbCr 4:4:4. Any guidance , help and information on this subject will be greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

This is my new TV / PC Gaming Monitor:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000

http://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...-series-4k-suhd-tv-2016-model-un65ks8000fxza/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    4:4:4 is no color compression so text will look right. My best suggestion is go on Rtings.com and copy their setting for color to start and adjust to your liking from there. They may give you more info regarding if you should or shouldn't enable gaming mode and your expected input lag (Samsung TV's tend to have the lowest input lag BTW).

3. kaingr

kaingr Guest

GPU:
    gigabyte waterforce 1080
  4. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    Simple answer Is for HDR content you can't force 4K Full RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4 due to HDMI bandwidth limitations. Even If It's set to RGB Full In Nvidia drivers It will automatically down convert to YCbCr420 or YCbCr422 In game. The PS4 Pro does that too.

I have a 65KS9500 and I use those settings for HDR PC Gaming.

UHD Color: On
    Game Mode: On
    Backlight: 20
    Smart LED: High
    Brightness: 45
    Sharpness: 0
    Contrast: 100
    Color Tone: Warm 1
    Dynamic Contrast: Off ( It adds extra processing to the Image and causes It to be extra bright and unnatural So better leave It off)
    Colour Space: Auto or Native Depending on your model check which one looks better for you.
    Gamma: 0
    HDMI Black Level: SDR = Normal , PC HDR = Auto

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    @Loophole35 , thank you. Ok i will leave it at YCbCr 4:4:4 while using it to browse the web. I just did that as you suggested , used/copy Rtings settings until the TV technician gets here next week to get it professional calibrated , it does make it look better.

@Kaingr , thank you for the links and info. I will check those settings for PC Gaming from Digital Foundry later on today and will post feedback.

@Angrycrab , thank you for that much needed information , you just answered the question that i was looking for :thumbup: , appreciate it. I will try your gaming settings later on today and i will post my feedback , tx for sharing.

Kind Regards: Angelo

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Damn son ... what a TV! That flickering issue is gone btw?

7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thank you lucidos , it will have to last me for many many years to come hence why i went with the best i could afford for the use it will be given, and Oled it's way out of my budget with some problems ( very high input lag / screen burn in and some other tech problems let alone that very high price , also Oled still in is infancy , it needs to mature to get at the same level of Led panels )

That flickering is gone for good , so happy about that. There is a bug in the nvidia drivers and Vizio TV firmware that makes it happens when they are run together.

No more Black Screens Drop Outs / Lost Signal / Flickering issues with my new Samsung TV , as a PC monitor is running flawless on my GTX 1070 , big relief there son :) .

8. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Got the same TV, it's awesome! :D Have yet connected it to a computer yet tho.

9. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yes i have ,it is 24/7 connected to my PC , great to hear another user with this TV set up as a monitor.

@Angrycrab i gave it a try at your settings with some tweaking to my likings for gaming:

UHD Color: On
    Game Mode: On
    Backlight: 20
    Smart LED: High
    Brightness: 45
    Sharpness: 25
    Contrast: 100
    Color Tone: Cool
    Dynamic Contrast: Off ( It adds extra processing to the Image and causes It to be extra bright and unnatural So better leave It off)
    Colour Space: Native
    Gamma: 0
    HDMI Black Level: SDR = Normal , PC HDR = Auto

10. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    I like to keep my sharpness @ 0 since anything above would only add extra processing to the Image. And Color Tone Warm 1 Is the closest to D65 and Is more accurate.
    (I have my TV Calibrated based on Rec709 Standard for Game Mode)
    But to each his own In the end.
    I can post my calibrated settings for SDR game mode If you want to try them ;)

Anyway Glad you liked It. Awesome HDR TV you got there you will absolutely love It.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thank you for the help , i like a little more vibrant colors on my games hence why i choose color tone Cool as color tone warm 2 gave me a yellowish tone and Warm 1 a little to dark for my likings , and a little sharpness on my TV set gets me more accurate extreme details on small things like flowers , grass , in the jungle , city and dessert.

It comes down to personal preferences at this point as the image clarity and awesome vibrant , contrast , crisp colors are there already. The details on Forza Horizon 3 is jaw dropping to say the least , i'm still blown away by this display , loving it !

I have a certified TV technician coming in on friday , i will have it professional calibrated then.

12. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    Cool just make sure to ask the TV technician to calibrate It under game mode too not just movie mode because when you enable game mode there Is no 10 point white balance settings so the calibration settings will defer from movie mode. You will end up with two different color settings one for movie and one for gaming. And If he has the proper equipment he could calibrate the TV for HDR both game and movie modes good luck.

13. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Chrispy could you keep us informed on your setting when you get calibrated please? I have the same TV for PC!

Also, do you use rgb/444 with TV settings on low? I think with rgb and TV on normal looks washed out to hell. Corsair looks great with rgb and low.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I have the 7 series (65KS7005) and I have done a "calibration" based on information I found on the web but I'll check out your settings.

Also love the TV but it does have a few minor bugs here and there. Plus I really wish it had a Twitch app.

15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Sure i will share the settings once is calibrated , np :thumbup:

@HonoredShadow you mean YCbCr 4:4:4 in nvidia control panel or the TV settings ? RGB mode only is set to OFF in the TV settings , and i use YCbCr 4:4:4 in nvidia control panel.

16. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    OK so you use 444 for NV panel but normal or low for TV? Normal looks washed out. Why 444 anyway? Why not RGB? Thanks dude!

17. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    The EU KS7005 is the exactly the same model as NA KS8000. Why Samsung named it like that, i will never know.

Regarding Twitch app, i think there is a un-official version on github that you can manually install.

How to install Twitch on Samsung Tizen TV's

18. blazin161

blazin161 Guest

GPU:
    I just got a KS8000 55 inch and I'm trying to set it up for PC gaming but I'm having some pretty major problems. I found this thread in google looking up nvidia settings for the TV. So...All my games look washed out without HDR and dark and terrible with it enabled. I used all the advice I could find on the internet but anything that's an offshade of white is pink. Like things are either white or pink. I currently have these settings enabled in Nvidia control panel. (I have a 1070) btw.

I'm not allowed to post images or links yet and I'm not gonna spam 10 posts so replace hxxp with http

hxxp://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p365/blazin161blazin161/Screenshot%208_zps6ldkwhbg.png?t=1487244732

hxxp://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p365/blazin161blazin161/Screenshot%207_zpsdi9gt9cv.png?t=1487245222

Can you guys see the pink I'm talking about in the screens? I'm using the Game Console Setting Because the PC setting won't allow Game Mode. HDMI UHD mode is enabled for all inputs. I simply can't get a good picture on my PC yet my PS4 looks great. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Didn't mean to Hijack the thread lemmo know if I should make my own. Thanks

19. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Can't see it. A screenshot of the desktop will not show the incorrect colors if it's the TV that have the wrong settings, and judging by that i'm leaning that some incorrect display settings on your TV. Reset display settings and set the TV to game mode and start over. Don't huse HDR+ since it's not real HDR but "faked" HDR.

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks dude :)

But we have both the 8 and 9 series in Sweden :) Now, I haven't looked extensively but I thought the 8 and 9 were curved or simply had different design and maybe one more thing that made them cost 600-700€ more.

Woah, I had no idea about that un-official app! I'll check it out, big thanks!