Dead MOBO: update time or worth repair

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by gmavignier, Jan 30, 2017.

?

What should I do with my system?

Poll closed Mar 1, 2017.
  1. Get a new, cheap, mother board

27.8%
  2. Spend more and get a new system

16.7%
  3. Wait for Rysen

55.6%
  4. Get something else (leave a comment)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    So it seems my mother board died. Computer is just not booting and, after some analisys, all points out to a faulty BIOS.

Looking for a replacement MOBO I found some 1150 H81 for a resonable price. Even though I game on my system, I don't need anything more than that.

My doubts are: shoud I just buy a new MOBO or spend 5X more and get a new 1151 DDR4 system (by new I mean i5-6400)?

And, if the wait is worth it, should I just wait to know AMD's Rysen a little better?

For right now my computer was enough as I was using my PS4 more than it. That is the rason for my question. Note that every penny/performance counts for me.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I voted wait for Ryzen if you can, because it might give you another option on the not too expensiv, not top notch CPUs if you don't need such a thing (nothing like a workstation's octa core stuff).

As you don't need your rig for gaming (you mentioned you were using your PS4 more anyway), you can postpone your decision until the market situation changes with Ryzen's arrival. You can always go intel then if you want to.

3. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    That is a good option. My worry is Ryzen won't have such good prices on launch compared to 6th gen Intel.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I can feel you, Ryzen is basically Schrödinger's cat right now... nobody knows what it can do for real and what it costs until it's out, every decision right now is just an educated guess :)

Hence I think you should wait a month, fire up that console, and then see what fits your bill.

5. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    The question is whether you want to upgrade your gpu in the next ~12 months or so. If not then just grab a cheap mobo.

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If you decide its a total loss you can try the oven trick.
    ie there may be a bad connection where a solder joint has cracked.
    Its a common problem with components that heat and cool and lot, fracturing soldered connections.

Graphics cards are especially susceptible.
    After heating in a hot oven for a short period to reflow the solder, many cards have been rescued.

ps your vote options dont mention "repair" despite the thread title.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    +1 voted here the same as you for the exact same reasons , wait for Ryzen might be your best choice.

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I would just get a mobo for now.

You can easily find a h81 for 40-50 USD

9. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    ebay ? For example refurbished supermicro boards are dirt cheap and bulletproof

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    This is also an option.

BTW are you saying it's not posting or just not going into windows

12. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Not posting. Most of the time at least. I have made it into the BIOS once or twice. But I can't seem to make it work again.

As far as I am aware, I changed some config and that screew up everything.

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Reset to defaults?

Cleared CMOS or removed battery for a few hours?

You can always replace the battery they are inexpensive.

here is a bios chip
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIOS-CHIP-G...301981?hash=item27d495a71d:g:pPsAAOSwa39UsdRl

14. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    I have tried clear CMOS. Did think about the battery, but got lazy. Maybe I'll try it. After 2 children we get a little lazy to start new "endevours" like this LOL.

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    These gigabyte H series have dual bios, so it should restore it if its corrupted. I know because I have an H77 one I use as backup/HTPC. On rare occasion it may appear to be dead but eventually it comes back to life with persistence, battery removal, other steps, etc. It kind of turned me off GB boards.

16. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    You guys are way above me knowledge wise, and I'm a AMD guy but I have same problem if it doesn't like my ram settings, to high a speed or too tight timings. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

17. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    i had one of my lga150 gigabyte boards die on me. Wouldn't boot into windows. Rma'd it back to them they fixed it and sent it back. It know sits in the box they shipped it back to me in. My experience with gigabyte has not been that great. I am going to buy different company for my ryzen build later this year.

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I'm not seeing a problem.
    It looks like you want to have a problem rather than there being one.

19. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    I have owned 3 gigabyte boards. All have issues. My 970 amd board was pretty solid board. Both intel boards have their issues. My current one i thought would be great board is not so great. Issues with lan port drivers on this one. Other board kept down clocking my cpu which i found out in reviews i read later about it was a known problem. These are just my experiences other people have zero issues with them.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    At least they repaired it and sent it back.
    You'd probably still be in an infinite loop of sending back the same board to Asus if you bought from them.