Could My House's Electricity Be A Problem?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mulsiphix, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Guest

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    Just started renting a new home. Hooked my PC up, including my Logitech X-540 speakers. When I turn the volume knob up and down, the volume crackles and the volume jumps up really high or goes down very low. If I sit there and do nothing, the volume will go up or down on its own occasionally.

After researching topics related to repairing problems with these specific speakers, it becomes clear this isn't a normal issue. One or two folks mention something similar, and in both cases someone suggested they change electric outlets. This worked in both cases, but does not work for me.

Discouraged I tried my Fatality Headset. Turned the volume down, turned on some music, and as soon as I start to turn the knob up the volume jumps so high my ears are aching for the next ten minutes. I then plugged the headset into my phone and played music. But here it works normally, just how I would expect it to.

To me, this seems like the problem isn't the speakers themselves. I consider myself to be both proficient and highly experienced with Windows and my RealTek drivers. I don't have access to another PC.

No friends or family in the area, literally no way to test these things elsewhere. Not sure if I can test the electricity in the house or if it is even possible. I'm dumbfounded and out of options for testing and trial and error. I'm hoping I've missed something obvious. Any ideas?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Got access to a UPS? That should 'clean up' the electricity

Some info here
    http://switchon.eaton.com/power-essentials/faq

What does a UPS do?

A UPS performs three primary functions:
    First, a line-interactive or double-conversion UPS conditions the incoming dirty power from the utility company. It filters out the irregularities and gives you clean, uninterruptible power.

3. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Guest

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    All PC hardware and accessories are plugged into my Tripp-Lite 1200W 120V Power Conditioner with Automatic Voltage Regulation and AC Surge Protection (LINK). Do you think a UPS does something different than my Tripp-Lite?

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Does this behaviour replicate with every audio port?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Sounds like that also does a similar job, if not better

Tried without it just as a test?

6. Goutan

Goutan Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    I used to work at gamestop and had a customer go through 5 consoles in the course of 6 months due to issues with his home's wiring. He ended up having to set up his gaming hardware in a different room to prevent more issues.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I occasionally have a similar issue with a particular game in VR.
    It suddenly starts tying the volume level to joystick left/right.
    I suddenly start going deaf if I turn right more than left.

Maybe something similar is happening to you, the volume level becomes attached to a peripheral and adjusts with its use.

8. Oh may god buddy i'm in the same boat as you mention it
    I really need a good power conditioner or something to clean the (corrupted electricity) that affect all my pc performance :'(

But i'm from Venezuela, so it's frustrating :(

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I would ditch the line conditioner for a proper UPS.... A UPS will disconnect from main power in the event of a surge or "brownout" condition to ensure a proper, clean power output....as well as to protect anything that's plugged into the UPS enabled outlets.