In search of a new mail provider

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by anticupidon, Jan 23, 2017.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Hello gents !
    I have this Yahoo account for almost a decade, but later on i decided to find another mail provider.
    I never had this account compromised or otherwise, always used strong paranoid passwords, and since it was available, 2-step verification.
    However, since last security news, i am in the search of a new e-mail provider.Just felt like deleting this account and start afresh.
    Can you please give me some alternatives, based on your own personal experience ?

ps. didn't know what section suited best, mods feel free to move the thread where you think it belongs.

2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I just use my isp's mail and a Hotmail throw away account that I ended up using for here since my isp decided that this domain or something on the same general domain was spam and blocks Guru3D. Gmail is another option.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I have already an Gmail and Outlook account, i need one a bit more "personal" to say so.

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Gmail (G Suite) or Outlook (Office 365 Business Essentials) with own domain. It will cost ~5 €/month though.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Found ProtonMail, based in Geneva, Switzerland secure e-mail service with built-in end-to-end encryption and self-destruct e-mails.
    Free account has a few limitations i can live with for now.Made an account, no ads,nada.Just my mail and nothing more.
    I need to learn more, but for now i am impressed, to say the least.

6. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Tutanota or ProtonMail are basically as secure as you can get.

7. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I've been using GMX for years with no problems.

Just tried protonmail and immediately deleted the account when I found they don't support IMAP or POP3 access. I hate using web mail interfaces and get my mail through Outlook or the Windows 10 mail app. My GMX, Gmail, and Hotmail accounts are all accessed through those apps.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  8. entropism

entropism Member

GPU:
    GTX 570
    Protonmail is fantastic if you want privacy. If you want exchange access for free, Zoho Mail is great. If you want reliable, private, CHEAP exchange email, use Fastmail.

9. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    Just signed up to Protonmail. Very nice interface, and encryption is always a plus. Been meaning to replace my Hotmail account for a while now.

10. KevRichards

KevRichards Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 / 8GB
    tutanota and protonmail are secure. I use protonmail with 500mb limit storage but i have a satisfaction of being secure at least.

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I am now a convinced Proton e-mail user, the e-mail as i wanted and spam free.All my internet accounts are linked to Proton and got rid for good of all funky Yahoo stuff.
    Out with the old, in with the new.

12. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I have 4 free email accounts. I think the oldest one is Hotmail but that only gets used a few times a month. I have Yahoo too but never even check it. I also have Gmail and that is pretty good but my go to one is GMX. I send all my mail with it and also receive about 80% of my incoming mail through it. I won't pay for email. However, I do not use the web interfaces of any of the accounts. I have them set up as a single inbox in Outlook 2007 on this desktop, and in the Windows 10 Mail app on the tablet. My laptop that still has Win 7 on it uses the Windows Mail program from Vista which has been modified to work in 7. It's actually still present in 7 but disabled. Replacing one file with the one from Vista and then a few registry changes and it works. My favorite email program of all time is still Outlook Express though. I never understood why they ditched it.