AMD Ryzen: New Speculation on prices and release

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Over at the Chinese Chiphell-forum some new info appeared on the upcoming Ryzen processor release. AMD is still on track for a late February release announcement, however availability might be shifte...

AMD Ryzen: New Speculation on prices and release

2. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Amr? :d

3. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Well, it'd be insane by AMD to have a 350$ 8 core 16 thread CPU that handles workloads at the same speed as an Intel 1000$ CPU. You don't build something like that to have it cost a third of your competitor's similar product, that would just not be very sensible. The immediate association would be that it's somehow much worse if it was a third of the price.

No, I don't know how people could even expect that they'd price themselves much removed from Intel's lineup. If they're much further away than 10-15% I'd be very surprised.

4. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Knowing AMD, they most likely won't reach current Intel performance, so if the CPU costs 600-700$ and performs as much as the 6800k, which is around 450$, then it's AMD all over again, which frankly speaking is expected.

5. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Priced according to performance levels compared to intel but without the price inflation due to lack of competition. I'd be surprised not to see a 700+ Euro CPU from AMD.

6. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    AMD can't price their 8c/16t CPU 10-15% bellow intel counterparts.
    Not with 16 PCIe lanes VS intel 40 and not with only midrange chipset like x370.

Also for that price they would not sell many CPUs and AMD gain in market share would be minimal.
    Not even mentioning that Intel can easily slash prices by same amount and is accelerating to deliver new CPUs much earlier.

Noone could realistically expect 8c CPU for $350 but if it goes for more then $500-600 it will be niche market and not many will buy it.

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    They're not stupid, hoefully $500 for the high end one. Unfortunately for us in the UK, that means £500, at least.

8. chronek

chronek Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    not long ago i did buy chep smartphone 8 cpu cores 3,5 GHz for 90$... And Intel still releasing after 10 years their cpu 4/8threads over 1,5k $, i would expect 8/16threads be mainstream and cheaper long ago.. but just there was no competition prices and technology stopped for damn long time

9. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Take it with a grain of salt.

IMO, If it is more than $600 on release, which is what these guys are speculating, then, I honestly don't think it'll sell that well. The audience for this kind of cpu would likely already have something comparable.

For the mainstream gamers who moan about current i7 7700k pricing, well, there's even less chance of those people buying one, especially with having to deal with new platform bugs etc. Crossfire guys will need to think twice. Theres some give and take here.

I hope things work out for AMD and it's all just BS.

10. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Wat. X370 has 32 PCI-E lanes, 3.0 spec. X99 has 28, Z270 has 30...

Also of course it's a niche market - how many do you know that have a i7 6900k?

The 4 core 8 thread is the one that consumers will want later down the line. This new CPU might be all well and good, but it's just like the Intel 8 cores, something that's cool but which almost nobody has because it's prohibitively expensive and doesn't offer meaningful performance improvements over a CPU that costs less than half in most scenarios.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017

11. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I thought AMD would release all the Ryzen CPUs at once not only the 8c/16t one first then after months the others. This is not very good. Also no mention of the 6c ones make me worry.

12. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I'm not taking this with a grain of salt but with a full sack of salt because it makes so little sense. AMD has made stupid decisions before, probably due to their lacking financies giving them little choice, but what this rumour is presenting would be the crown jewel of stupid decisions. Surely they have learned enough lessons already?

13. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Well if their 8 core is comparable to intels 8 core why not price it to near 700$. It is still way cheaper and there would be people to buy it. And no not everyone has something comparable tbh.

Last I heard they would release all 4 to 8 core processors at the same time. 4 core will battle kaby lake. 6 and 8 do not need to.

14. xvince1

xvince1 New Member

GPU:
    CFX R9-290
    I think Intel is just waiting for AMD to adjust his CPU price range. They already have 22 cores CPU and they only have to adjust the 6950x/6900k price to target the Ryzen price. It will be very difficult for AMD to sell Ryzen above.

15. fl2015

fl2015 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Yep I was expecting an 8 core mainstream CPU and whether it was priced more than intel mainstream socket CPU's wouldn't of been an issue as long as it was worth the little extra. From the look of things from this speculation though it would be priced well above the broadwell-e 6 core CPU's which even though it's cheaper than the 8 core intel it's still not revolutionary.

Also going by this speculation we can hazard a guess that the full quad core 8 thread counterparts are going to be around the 300-350 dollar mark which would put them around the same price as current kaby lake i7's. Something tells me this speculation is nonsense however if it is true AMD are shooting themselves in the foot and I don't see people in the mainstream end of the market adopting AMD over intel.

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    This^^

For this kind of prices, AMD can keep their CPUS for themselfes!...

Also the decision of releasing their mainstream parts months after the flagship ones, doesn´t bode well for AMD...

Well, i already decided to wait for the release of AMD, so lets seem what happens...

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Lets be honest, whoever expected 8c/16t Ryzen chip to be half the price of 6900k is just silly. 500$ sounds about right i wound not be surprised if its end up priced close to that.

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It wouldn't surprise me if it is around this price.
    AMD are not a charity and need to make a profit, ideally as large a one as possible.

19. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Time will tell, but the few numbers we got so far place it largely at the 6900K level. But again, we need complete numbers with final clock ( some softwares, instructions could be faster on one, and vice versa, so result could depend of softwares, different cases. )

There you put 2 different things in the same line. 22cores are for server, and Naples is the opponent for it. (32cores ). And professional market tend to have a big big latency when it come to hardware ( and software ) change, upgrade compared to standard consumers one.

As for the price adjustment, thats ofc expected, this said AMD can re-ajust their price too. So im not quite sure it is really the good way for AMD to set a too much low price first. In case they need to reajust it...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  20. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Might I ask why?