Overclocking 480

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Shadows, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Shadows

Shadows Guest

GPU:
    Gefore 210 1 gb
    Currently overclocking my MSI gaming x 8gb rx 480 and I got it to 1360 but there are a few drops to around 1000mhz and 17 fps. Is this due to my fx 4100 cpu or have I reached the overclocking limit?

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Sounds like you are data starving your card. Probably time to reconsider upgrading the cpu/mainboard.

3. Shadows

Shadows Guest

GPU:
    Gefore 210 1 gb
    So does the cpu affect the overclocking limit or should I keep trying? Also I am waiting till RYZEN to upgrade.

4. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Chastity is right. There is no point in overclocking that card, because your processor can't feed it fast enough to begin with. You're pretty heavily bottlenecked I'd say. If your mobo is an AM3+ you should pick up a cheap FX-6300 (Vishera core) and overclock it to 4+ghz (really easily) to get you by until Ryzen. It won't break the bank, will fit in your current slot and will be a nice leap from your Bulldozer in the meantime.

$89 on Newegg right now https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113286

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Yes, if the CPU and memory/bus config cannot feed the GPU and VRAM fast enough you will get latency, and not max out your GPU performance.

And update to AM4 and Ryzen would be a sound investment, and may as well look into RAM for your new mobo.