Almost decided on a new video card, need to clarify some things

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by anticupidon, Jan 21, 2017.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Hello gents, been missing from the forum for a short while.
    Well, tired of HD 530 graphics, saved a bit for a new graphic card.I play at 1080@60 Hz, no plans soon to upgrade to another monitor, for now it suits me just fine.
    Budget is 200-230 € tops, got my eyes on RX 470 4GB.Now a few questions:

1.Is it worth the extra 30€ for the 8 GB version?
    2.Is it worth the extra 30-40€ to get the RX 480 4 GB instead?
    3.Is there a better alternative for this budget?

As for now i think that IF i might a big discount i will go for the RX 470 8gb as i like sometimes to add mods to games, and RX 470 is a bit more frugal on watts than RX 480.
    I am open to suggestions, please give me some inputs.
    Thank you in advance for your time,
    Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Depends what resolution you game at. 4 GB is fine for 1080P, so the RX480*4 GB would be preferable.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Good to know that.
    However, the difference between the two cards is not that big.However, the RX 470 eats less wats delivering almost the same performance.This gets me and AMD made things a bit complicated when it comes to decide what card to get.
    Managed to get a discount code for Amazon and can get theSapphire RX 480 4 GB for 208 € and RX 480 8 GB for 246 €.
    And the RX 470 8 GB for 237 €..
    Why the big difference?Just for 4 GB of VRAM?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  4. Wolf9an9

Wolf9an9 Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800XT
    RX 480 is obviously better than RX 470!

Where do you live that makes a couple of Watts at minimal cost important?

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Well, yes and no.
    Now, browsing and searching for best deals, i managed to found the Sapphire Radeon RX 480 4GB Nitro+ GDDR5 for 202 € delivered to my door.
    Should I click that button?

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Just get the RX480 8GB ver. 30Eur more isnt that much and extra Vram can be helpful in the future.

7. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    You are fine without playing games on max setting, right?
    Some skyrim mods are not optimized or just huge and will eat lots of Video Memory. If you adding lots of visual mods, go for 8GB.

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I said : What the freck ? and bought the Sapphire Radeon Nitro Plus RX 480 OC 8GB GDDR5 for 246 €.
    Should arrive Monday.Well, i eager to open a new hardware package, it is been so long.
    My GSkill keyboard is still un-opened, waiting to join the party.
    Thanks for your input,
    Cheers!

9. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I love Sapphire gpus.

My Sapphire Nitro Fury is awesome.
    I did the same thing.
    Said what the f**k and bought it 3 weeks ago for $248 brand new shipped.
    I was on a R9 290x.

Enjoy the new card. RX 480 is a great 1080p gpu.
    8GB buy was the best decision.
    I tap out my 4GB Fury in games when I go above 2560x1080 depending on the game if high or ultra.

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I hope so.The waiting game is on.Got a small discount for future shopping from this e-shop for the card, not bad.
    I remember when i sold my last computer, the buyer was a little annoyed about getting a HD 5850 with only 1 GB VRAM.Those were the times when 1 GB VRAM was enough, never passed my mind resale value and future proof.
    That's why i went for the 8 GB variant for now, hope it will serve me as good as the last Sapphire GPU.

11. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    1GB cards would just enough until 2012 anyways for even 1080p depending on AA settings and game settings.
    My GTX 560ti 1GB even ran Bf4 just fine at 1080p high settings with no AA. AVG 40 fps online.

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    If i was about to buy an AMD card right now i would go with the same card. Good choice man. :p

Last couple of my card ware Sapphire, never had problems. This is actually third Vapor-X card i owned. Enjoy your gaming.

13. Drhax

Drhax Guest

GPU:
    Rx 480
    I have the Rx 480 right now it basically runs everything I throw at it max 1080p at or above 60fps id say its worth the extra few dollars, be sure to get an aftermarket cooler one though.

14. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    I personally would have waited till vega came out. It would have drove the prices of fury and fury x down and that would have been the choice to get. I would have bought the fury onsale at newegg.com if i had the money. Those cards are getting better with each driver release. The 480 are good cards also. Biggest gripes i have read from the reviews for these cards are they are not powerfull enough to truly use 8gb of vram though. So in most instances the performance was the same as 4gb. But at the same resolution as me i dont see why that 480 wont last couple of years down the road. Hell my 5850 lasted me till i got my r9 380. Sapphire are great cards. I owned one never had any issues with it.

15. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    At this point, as someone who has had many 290x, Fury X and now Fury, do not get a damn 4GB card in 2017 if you are getting a RX 480 or newer.

Its always better to run of gpu power then vram. That argument is so stupid.
    Blah blah its not fast enough to for all 8GB vram.
    Its terrible when a card is held back because of Vram. Fury X and Fury would be doing alot better if not limited by the 4GB HBM1.

16. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Maybe so, but Vega will be on another price bracket and it Vega availability will get me waiting near summer..
    More, Vega is supossedly to bring HBM2, so why buy old Fury HBM1 ?

You're right, before you know it, 8 Gb VRAM is the new norm..

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I agree. Buying an 4GB card when you already have 4GB card is the same as you upgraded from a quad-core to another quad-core. Its just silly.

Still, buying an rx480 4GB isnt that bad. Card will still be capable even in 2017. I still think 4GB cards are the norm while 8GB is still considering above norm.

18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    All my joy turned into something else.After been scolded by shipping company and lied about time and place of delivering the package, turned out that i received a refurbished card, in a small cardboard box .
    The PCI-E conector has 2 golden pins damaged(but has an OK red sticker near thr pins), the plastic shourd has some scratches on it.
    Took pictures, but i have no plans to install into my computer, i'll fill out for a refund and RMA the card.
    Now, to clarify things a bit.
    I've bought a new card, it was advertised as such, in photo and description.
    Nowhere, not even in small letters it was advertised as refurbished.Re-checked when i made the buy all details, just be on the safe side.
    Still, even so, the milk turned sour.Moving on, i will ask for a refund and for some explications, but what's done is done.
    This e-tailer never did this before, i've bought from them for years.
    Guess i'll have to stick to Amazon from now on.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  19. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    This is what i was talking about

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The PCI-E connector is damaged, i assume was forced into a motherboard, or worse.The card was dropped and landed on it.I am just assuming, it is NOT a fact.

[​IMG]

The backplate is dented

[​IMG]

20. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Got a phone call, they accepted the RMA, now i have to wait to generate the RMA ticket and send the package to them.
    Until i will get my money back, well i guess i will have to find another thing to do, keep me busy with life as it is.