Cracking audio issue on desktop PC.

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by NorthFront, Jan 21, 2017.

1. NorthFront

NorthFront Guest

GPU:
    980ti sc
    Hello,

first up, some details to my pc;
    running win 10 64bit
    980 Ti Sc
    16GB RAM
    MSI Z170M Mortar Mainboard
    i7 6700k CPU

For audio hardware;
    using a 2.1 stereo system
    and a Razor KaveXTD 5.1 headset/mic

Since quite some time, I have had an issue with the audio on my PC. At first, I thought it was an issue with my fairly new headset, that's why I contacted the manufacturer for support, but they couldn't help me any further even after explaining every detail and doing adjustment to my audio settings in windows as well as the headset's software. Just today it came to my mind that the issue actually might not even be with the headset. Since I started hearing it through my 2.1 Stereo as well now. Because before I was only able to hear it through my 5.1 headset, since it has much better audio quality.

For some clarification, this issue ONLY happens when I play video games. It NEVER happens when I listen to music or watch videos.

Firstly I recorded an off-screen video with my phone, holding the mic of it into the headset to capture the audio issue. Today I captured a gameplay video with a recording software, thinking that if the issue actually is NOT with the headset, I should be able to hear it even in the captured video, and I did.

The issue is that the audio sounds crackling, or as if you'd listen to a CD in a CD player, and the CD had a scratch or so, and it skips audio. This does not happen constantly, I can play fine for an hour or 30 minutes, then the issues appear and stays there for 30 minutes, and disappears again. After that, it might come back after an hour or two, but maybe only for a few minutes, and disappears again. Sometimes the issue is really strong and intense, other times it is more subtle.
    It is really strange and sporadic.

Also, I doubt the issue is with the PC soundcard since the headset has its own soundcard. And since I hear the issue though both, my stereo and the headset, It would literally have to be an issue with both then.

I will link the video here underneath to whoever wants to hear can do so. The video starts off with a short off-screen clip, you can hear my buddy talk, even his voice is affected by the issue. We talk through a software called Discord. But Discord is not the issue, I have already closed the software while the audio issue was happening, went back into the game, and it was still present. So Discord is not the issue. The second clip is the in-game video captured with Nvidia Experience, it is more subtle in that case, but still noticeable.

I have no clue how to fix this or what it could be. So if anyone has an idea, I would be very thankful. Because it really bothers me. Especially after having bought such an expensive headset, and not being able to enjoy it.
    Thanks.

youtube. com/GYGI8xsXiUw

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You can use LatencyMon (http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon) to spy after your rig, and may be it would help to see a culprit (for example some driver).
    Are you sure your OS (and hardware) is not overwhelmed with mega amount of processes (like browser with 1K tabs), or a heavy ones?

3. NorthFront

NorthFront Guest

GPU:
    980ti sc
    Hi!

I am not sure if I am supposed to run this software while the issue occurs, or just run it in general? Anyway, I ran the software and took some screenshots.
    I use MSI live update 6 to check my drivers, and all my drivers are up to date.
    Usually i close all programs while gaming, occasionally Chrome is open, but never more than 4 tabs. I took screenshots for that as well.

68.media.tumblr. com/ebc057b7de2c19058180f4f4ce604759/tumblr_ok4uayWIpK1t5zptdo1_1280.png

68.media.tumblr. com/43108fde286286d8594ce8a538dbc6f7/tumblr_ok4uc1VKlx1t5zptdo1_1280.png

68.media.tumblr. com/e81f64cfdcaeda73fe0b710515808150/tumblr_ok4ud285Xh1t5zptdo1_1280.png

68.media.tumblr. com/9cc727fe758f7146de22fffbd018fc0b/tumblr_ok4ud7a00n1t5zptdo1_1280.png

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  4. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Keep the program running as long as it needs for the stutters to appear, if they happen then LatencyMon can tell you without a doubt whats causing it.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    LatencyMon can copy its report into Clipboard so you can paste it here as a text.

6. NorthFront

NorthFront Guest

GPU:
    980ti sc
    Alright, thanks! I will report back once I have had the chance go get results. Since the issue is so sporadic, and I don't always have time for extensive testing. But I will get to it as soon as possible.

7. NorthFront

NorthFront Guest

GPU:
    980ti sc
    Okay, I have let the program run for several hours now. And it reported an issue. Although I didn't really notice the issue as usually. (Probably because I have been playing with my 2.1 stereo where I don't hear the audio break- ups as well as with the headset.)

I will paste the results here.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CONCLUSION
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Your system seems to be having difficulty handling real-time audio and other tasks. You may experience drop outs, clicks or pops due to buffer underruns. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
    LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 3:10:59 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
    Computer name: NORTHS-PC
    OS version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 14393 (x64)
    Hardware: MS-7972, MSI, Z170M MORTAR (MS-7972)
    CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
    Logical processors: 8
    Processor groups: 1
    RAM: 16346 MB total

CPU SPEED
    Reported CPU speed: 4008 MHz
    Measured CPU speed: 1 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
    The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 1289,709736
    Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 3,306603

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 1288,176801
    Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 0,800099

REPORTED ISRs
    Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 123,998004
    Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0,150689
    Driver with highest ISR total time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0,161707

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 26997687
    ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
    DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 1340,839321
    Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 376.33 , NVIDIA Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0,090602
    Driver with highest DPC total execution time: nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 376.33 , NVIDIA Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0,214373

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 68443720
    DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
    DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 16
    DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 50
    DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
    DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
    Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: nvcontainer.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 7354
    Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 2981
    Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs): 50257,062874
    Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 0,024688
    Number of processes hit: 24

PER CPU DATA
    CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 668,297087
    CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 123,998004
    CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 148,126992
    CPU 0 ISR count: 26940383
    CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1340,839321
    CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 179,705520
    CPU 0 DPC count: 62917838
    CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 351,206790
    CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 82,099052
    CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0,118997
    CPU 1 ISR count: 57302
    CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 146,637725
    CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 2,317380
    CPU 1 DPC count: 402634
    CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 292,310903
    CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 1,570359
    CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0,000002
    CPU 2 ISR count: 2
    CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 207,689870
    CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 2,253879
    CPU 2 DPC count: 753753
    CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 341,308862
    CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0,0
    CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0,0
    CPU 3 ISR count: 0
    CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 128,002495
    CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 1,407551
    CPU 3 DPC count: 442491
    CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s): 194,694044
    CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0,0
    CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s): 0,0
    CPU 4 ISR count: 0
    CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs): 174,835828
    CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s): 3,363088
    CPU 4 DPC count: 1193579
    CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s): 260,502346
    CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0,0
    CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s): 0,0
    CPU 5 ISR count: 0
    CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs): 121,246257
    CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s): 1,300567
    CPU 5 DPC count: 438891
    CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s): 186,347737
    CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0,0
    CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s): 0,0
    CPU 6 ISR count: 0
    CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs): 192,392715
    CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s): 4,824677
    CPU 6 DPC count: 1855042
    CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s): 236,185186
    CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0,0
    CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s): 0,0
    CPU 7 ISR count: 0
    CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs): 149,626497
    CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s): 1,355281
    CPU 7 DPC count: 439558

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I see no criminal there. ISR times are good, DPC times are less good but still normal. 50 ms for a hard page fault resolution is normal too.

9. The1

The1 Member Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080
    Hi NorthFront, had a similar issue on my board and after much trial and error, disabled Realtek through device manager. I wasn't using it but it caused no end of dropouts, click, pops, etc. High memory usage was also a symptom of the problem. Now use Nvidia HD audio driver (default) and all is good...
    ..let us know if that helped..

10. NorthFront

NorthFront Guest

GPU:
    980ti sc
    Sorry for the late reply. I was actually trying to get proper results this time. Because last time the issue didn't occur, but since the software reported that my system is not ready for real time audio, I thought that would be enough regardless.
    I was playing for two hours and the audio problem started big time. I have another report copied if that might help and someone may look through it? In case that could help narrow the issue down.
    Regardless I will try to uninstall/deactivate Realtek HD audio drivers. Thanks!

CONCLUSION
    Your system seems to be having difficulty handling real-time audio and other tasks. You may experience drop outs, clicks or pops due to buffer underruns. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
    LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 2:18:28 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
    Computer name: NORTHS-PC
    OS version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 14393 (x64)
    Hardware: MS-7972, MSI, Z170M MORTAR (MS-7972)
    CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
    Logical processors: 8
    Processor groups: 1
    RAM: 16346 MB total

CPU SPEED
    Reported CPU speed: 4008 MHz
    Measured CPU speed: 1 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
    The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 1282,042438
    Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 2,790264

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 1257,515520
    Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 0,945847

REPORTED ISRs
    Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 119,208832
    Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0,234945
    Driver with highest ISR total time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0,249649

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 33002104
    ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
    DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 1298,653693
    Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 376.33 , NVIDIA Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0,218161
    Driver with highest DPC total execution time: Wdf01000.sys - Kernelmodustreiber-Frameworklaufzeit, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0,523875

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 67502776
    DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
    DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 27
    DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 24
    DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
    DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
    Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: beservice.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 21382
    Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 9985
    Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs): 65497,731038
    Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 0,003862
    Number of processes hit: 35

PER CPU DATA
    CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 478,546016
    CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 119,208832
    CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 153,291324
    CPU 0 ISR count: 28481131
    CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1298,653693
    CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 208,976226
    CPU 0 DPC count: 55896691
    CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 224,330868
    CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 118,271208
    CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 12,639608
    CPU 1 ISR count: 4520950
    CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 174,370010
    CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 118,766305
    CPU 1 DPC count: 6048397
    CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 65,711998
    CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 3,250499
    CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0,000020
    CPU 2 ISR count: 23
    CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 182,243014
    CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 3,230046
    CPU 2 DPC count: 809366
    CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 87,919302
    CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0,0
    CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0,0
    CPU 3 ISR count: 0
    CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 121,818363
    CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 1,944104
    CPU 3 DPC count: 749835
    CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s): 86,472778
    CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0,0
    CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s): 0,0
    CPU 4 ISR count: 0
    CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs): 197,678144
    CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s): 4,612107
    CPU 4 DPC count: 1435970
    CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s): 92,792263
    CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0,0
    CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s): 0,0
    CPU 5 ISR count: 0
    CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs): 149,299651
    CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s): 1,446799
    CPU 5 DPC count: 543387
    CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s): 85,435172
    CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0,0
    CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s): 0,0
    CPU 6 ISR count: 0
    CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs): 158,255988
    CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s): 6,752550
    CPU 6 DPC count: 1458691
    CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s): 91,682333
    CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0,0
    CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s): 0,0
    CPU 7 ISR count: 0
    CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs): 171,196108
    CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s): 2,468942
    CPU 7 DPC count: 560490

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    And again I see no bad data in report. May be problems are not in OS kernel where LatencyMon collects its data.

12. NorthFront

NorthFront Guest

GPU:
    980ti sc
    Well, I uninstalled Realtek, but the problem still persists.

13. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    My two cents.
    Disable the Realtek on-board audio, in the BIOS and install a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card.

Assuming you connect the headset to four 3.5mm (1/8") mini-jacks on the Realtek on-board audio (green, orange, black, pink).
    How do you have the 2.1 speakers connected to the PC?

14. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Aren't Razor KaveXTD 5.1 headset/mic USB headsets? They don't bypass your soundcard right? Then it shouldn't have anything to do with soundcard.

Can you test sound while watching 4k videos on Youtube? I am wondering if issue happens as GPU 3D clocks kicking in or CPU starts to heat up.

As already might been mentioned, disable on-board sound on BIOS and make sure Nvidia doesn't affect your sound. (remove nvidia HDMI audio driver to be save)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  15. NorthFront

NorthFront Guest

GPU:
    980ti sc
    Hello!
    So, I have disabled the onboard audio in the BIOS, which only left me with my headset as a capable audio source, but the problem was still continuing to be an issue, unfortunately.
    My headset is plugged in via USB only, in the back of my PC. And my 2.1 Stereo is connected via 3.5mm audio jack also in the back of my PC.

I did watch a 6min 4K video on youtube in fullscreen. My sound was fine. CPU was around 50-60°C and GPU around 50°C.

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Interesting. Maybe we could narrow down the problem.

Have you tried to run games in window mode? "alt+enter" should work to switch mode.
    Does running CPU or GPU benchmark also cause sound to crack? (listen to music while running Prime95 / FurMark)

17. NorthFront

NorthFront Guest

GPU:
    980ti sc
    Hello, yes the problem does also exist in windowed mode.
    I have also tried FurMark, both in 1080p and 4k, with and without AA.
    No sound issues there.

I have just gotten to to test the game.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  18. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    The problem is because its a Creative product. JK JK I think.........Try different driver revisions and see if that stops the crackling. Use the onboard audio temporarily and see if you get crackle. If not, then its the SB card / drivers. gl

19. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Do you even read the thread?