Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge go 1080P after update

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Okay it's a bit of a weird title, but as many of you know Samsung started updating and rolling out Android 7.0 Nougat towards the the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge. The screen on this smart-phone series is ...

Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge go 1080P after update

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I believe they can even scale down to 720p.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Switched to 'High Performance' on my S7 as soon as this feature was added, which disables any throttling, sets native 1440p rez, and gives you back the phone you paid for

Tried the lower power modes and resolutions as a test and found no noticeable battery life difference anyway

4. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Lol 7.0, too much effort for 7.1?

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    This is Samsung we're talking about, surprised we got 7.0 already tbh

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I remember reading an article that noticed this during the beta testing, and they also said there was no noticeable battery improvements.

They also claimed that its difficult to even notice the resolution drop, the update hasn't been rolled out to me yet so can't check myself.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Flash the BTU version of Marshmallow using ODIN and you'll get the OTA update to the final Nougat once you're back online

9. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    have the s7 edge, guess ill get this update soon too

10. Athanasios

Athanasios Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 4G
    Is this gonna void my warranty?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    No, only flashing custom trips the KNOX flag which voids warranty, flashing stock with ODIN keeps KNOX at 0x0

Already done this myself to get Nougat as my CSC was XEU and it's not released for XEU yet

12. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Oh how I don't miss Samsung phones.

After my S4, I have not gone back. Surprised Samsung even did 7.0 for any phones already released.

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The S7 has been pretty good when it comes to updates, alot better than they used to be.

All the companies have, Android phones are not as neglected as they used to be when it comes to supporting updates.

14. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I'd love to have an easy option to scale down resolution for battery savings. QHD is stupid at this size.

15. Unilythe

Unilythe Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    Before writing such comments maybe first look up what you're talking about.

The S7 is getting 7.1, but they've been working on and testing 7.0 for longer so that's rolling out first.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Wouldn't you just buy a 1080p phone in that case?

Personally I can see the difference in clarity between 1080 and 1440, 1080 looks slightly blurred / less sharp for text, the size of the content changes too obviously so things look too big compared to 1440

The same number of pixels are used at 1080 or 1440, the only place I can see it saving power would be gaming, but throughout beta testing, and I haven't seen anyone mention it is any better in the final, dropping resolution and trying to game resulted in horrible stutters and worse performance

We already have power saving modes separate to these performance/rez throttling options, max power saving giving 140+ hours estimated battery time, these throttling/resolution lowering options don't do much/anything to improve that

The phone already parks unused cores, keeps low clocks for normal use/idle, and if you're gaming you're gonna be in high performance mode anyway, so in reality it's a useless gimmick IMO

17. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Personally i like this some games on the Enxos runs less than satisfactory for me so the ability to reduce the res so i can get a solid 60fps is a must for me. Also means when games come out you can reduce res to make them playable rather than just upgrading.

18. nattefrost

nattefrost Guest

GPU:
    gtx 660
    whats the alternative? plz dont say iphone :3eyes:

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Thing is, in order to have the maximum performance of the phone, you must set it to "High Performance" mode, this disables all throttling of the phone, increases brightness by 10%, and also locks you to WQHD (1440p), so if you are reducing the resolution, you are also having to choose one of the lower power modes aren't you?

I've just tried a game using the recommended 'Optimised' power mode with 1080p, and it ran worse than High Performance @ 1440p

20. sidi0us

sidi0us Active Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000
    You can customize every performance plan, including "High Performance" mode, you can set resolution and brightness, it's not locked on WQHD. I'm not sure if they change something in the cpu/gpu governors which would explain why the phone runs better in High Perf.