Will Intel drop prices after Ryzen?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by slick3, Jan 19, 2017.

1. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    I'm in a dilemma right now! I can either buy an Intel 6700k (along with mobo and RAM) right now, or wait until Zen comes out. I don't really mind either, I just want to take the bottleneck out of my system and I believe both will last me quite a long time(?).

My main issue is price. Will the Ryzen CPU equivalent to the 6700k performance (or better) be around the same price, if not cheaper, than the current 6700k price? Will Intel drop the prices on their CPUs once Ryzen is released?

I don't keep up with things like that, so any suggestion is very welcomed!

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    What fps and resolution you playing or want to play at? What's your monitor refresh rate?

Say, if you planning to game on 1440p@60fps on highest video settings, your GTX1070 might just bottlneck before your 8320. So while bad per core performance sucks, 8 cores come handy in games that utilize all cores.

But yeah, overall Bulldozer sucks and we don't really know if Intel will drop prices.
    Thing is, I am not sure if AMD will sell Ryzen cheap if they perform well. So there probably won't be drastic price changes. Safest opinion would be wait and see what Ryzen has to offer. There no point in waiting after Ryzen release.

3. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Yea I'm on 1080p 144hz!

I don't care which one is the 'better' CPU since either should get the best out of my GPU, and will keep up for a long time. But I do care about price, I'd get the cheaper of the two.

I don't want to spend on an I7 6700/7700k simply to see the price drop in a month. But if it won't... then might as well, but then there's the chance that Ryzen would be cheaper... ARGHHH tough tough!

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If you cant bear not having the best product at the best price, yer gonna have to wait.
    Or just bite it.

I doubt Zen has the IPC of Skylake/Kabylake though. This is a major CPU element for gaming.
    An 8 core CPU will not be a dream clocker, power/heat will be much greater.
    I dont know of a game that a 6700K cant handle because of core count.
    I'd love to be wrong about Zen because damn we need some competition.
    I dont think this will be quite strong enough though, but if priced right it could still be worthy.

I'm speccing up a system for a colleague and there is a cheaper way to get Kabylake in a good motherboard as long as you know someone with a Skylake CPU they can lend you to blow a Bios.
    Get the ASrock Z170 Extreme 4 motherboard, its dirt cheap and excellent, £108 in the UK.
    I used to have the Extreme4+, it was a super board.
    Put bios version 7 or later on it for Kabylake compatibility.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I would wait and see what Zen has to offer, as for now it's all speculation on how it performs.

Keep in mind future games may behave differently. With Project Scorpio (new Xbox coming out towards the end of this year) we'll probably see more ports, especially since Scorpio is based on an 8-core Zen variation and a variation of Windows 10. To put this into perspective, you current card has 6.5 Tflops, and Scorpio is meant to be 6 Tflops. This of course may be more with future spec tweaking.

If you got a Z170, the highest CPU you can likely use is an i7-7700K. Coffee Lake may also run on the Z170, but it will probably require a Z270, or a yet unknown chipset (Z370 for example) to get the most benefit. There is a 6-core variant with Coffee Lake, but it will probably command a decent price over the 4-cores, because otherwise it devalues the position of their Extreme processors.

With AMD on the other hand, you can upgrade to Zen+ next year on the same board, with possibilities of using the two successors on the same board as well. The later is a bit of an unknown, because AMD has at least 4 variations of Zen each with a purported 10 percent IPC increase on the last version, with a bit more of a jump expected with the Zen+ successor. This Zen+ successor will likely require a new board to get the most benefit, since a revised AM4+ socket is rumoured to be used.

Now is definitely not the time to rush and make a purchase based off impatience!

6. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    In my opinion wait for AMD Ryzen , you won't have long to wait , only a couple weeks and they will be on sale retail with 100% availability at launch date everywhere in February. I believe Intel will lower their prices that same day as Ryzen it's released to be more competitive , then you can make a well informed decision and take advantage of the cpu you want and get the best price to performance ratio.

I am in the same position as you and decided to wait until Ryzen is out and reviews available to make my next upgrade. Let's see how this battle of prices and performance plays out , it will be great for us consumers who are the ones that will benefit 100% out of the AMD versus Intel competition war.

7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Someone here on Guru3D forums, I don't remember who, wrote a while ago that Intel purposefully made Kaby Lake expensive so that they could rip money off people who absolutely need to build a new PC during this short wait till Zen is released. When Zen gets out and if it's competitive, Intel can easily lower the bloated Kaby prices, yet it already collected premium from those who had no option but to buy immediately.

Since your current CPU still works, you should most definitely wait.

8. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Ouch, you gonna need really good CPU to get close to 144 fps mark. Much easier for GPU to get there with 1080p resolution.

I am just not really sure whether its worth getting 4 core CPU at this point. 6700k is still good for gaming. It has higher performance per core, that amazingly have a performance leap from a previous generations. And according to benchmarks you should get to around 140fps, but I am not sure how true is it on 64 man multiplayer.

With 7700k, you probably gonna get better overclock. So if you decide to go for CPU now, 7700k might be better choice just for gaming.

I say there is 50% chance you gonna regret if you buy now. It's a involving big investment, and I think waiting 1-2 months might save you from regretting.

Edit: was wrong about BF1 fps numbers.

9. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI
    i need to get my new system going but ill chill till i see what Zen will bring to the table... i may still stick with Intel but i to hope there prices drop... it will help if my wallet if i see the 6700k drops down to $290 ish...

10. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    It only took amd 3 years to get zen out in the market?! We still have another month and a half to go.Since then how many new Intel chips have we seen? I would wait just incase it's good but for some reason I have a vibe it won't deliver when it comes to gaming,Intel is just too strong in that department. Sure maybe at certain benchmarks it may do well but at the end of the day most of us here are Gamers so lets see what happens.I say at best zen becomes a Cheper alternative to entry level gaming, exactly the way things are currently.

11. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    What does it matter how many chips Intel has got out when they have been only concentrating on making profit? I switched from Ivy Bridge i5k to Skylake i5k (two whole generations between them, that is, Skylake is three generations newer) and got 10% more performance, which probably was largely thanks to higher default clocks. Really hard for AMD to catch up, huh? It's as if Intel noticed AMD was left behind and politely stopped to wait. That's a real buddy for you!

12. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Look like I'm sticking with the 8320 for another six weeks, and then go for the better price:performance ratio CPU.

EDIT: Although I'm seeing an: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura + i7 6700k going for 540 Canadian dollars (405 USD / 536 AUD / 381 EUR). Thoughts?

13. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Sighhh... okay fine :(

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Neah they will Ryze :p

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Then they will have Ryzen. :)

16. Jujudlapampa

Jujudlapampa Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX1070 2088/2302
    I'm gonna play devil's advocate here but I was in the same situation, definitely needed to rule out the bottlenecking.

Couldn't wait but the Ryzen not-too-far launch was tempting me to hold still. I went for it anyway, even though Ryzen might bring AMD back in the game, there is a fairly low probability that it will be an INSANE revolution, I might have lost a few bucks for not waiting for Kaby prices to drop, but we could say that I paid extra to get it earlier.

This wasn't the most rational thing to do, but to be honest I'm really satisfied that I did, my rig is running great, and it will most likely do for a few years, no matter how good Ryzen is, so it's fine.

17. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    They both concentrate on profit. They do not exist to be your buddy. They exist to get you to buy their product. You admitted intel has been successful in getting you to do just that...buddy. :)

Personally neither interest me due to the limited SATA and PCIe options compared to the X99 for example. A step backwards in that regard IMO.