Seagate is Shutting Down One of Its Largest HDD Assembly Plants

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Clawedge, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    As long as WD's drives remain at the same price, I couldn't care less about what these junk peddlers are up to.

Dunno about the shift to SSD's part, most laptops I see on sale and which move the most in units have those awful laptop hdd's and I even saw a Dell XPS 13 with a pathetic 128GB SSD at well over $1000. Why even bother with such a low capacity drive after the whole GB/GiB crap and Windows taking away another 15~GB.

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I take issue with the use of the word "Trusty"////

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Mechanical hard drives can be very reliable, as long as you get a good one. SSD's are better for fast speed, mechanical drives still have their place for storage. There will be a time when flash drives are not only cheaper than their mechanical alternatives, but also can cope with large write cycles and have reliable data over time (in terms of the drive not powered), but we're not their yet!

I have a preference for Toshiba drives myself.

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    This will inevitably raise prices. Not good.

6. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    What you say about WD is matter of opinion.
    I had every single WD purchased in last 8 years failed because of bad sectors, especially green line is big poo. I had few desktop Seagate fail too, but at least 99.5% of data recoverable compared to less than 85% on WD.

One of reasons I started to use enterprise disks as they tend to last much longer and offer 5years warranty instead of just 2 and as well get much higher read/write performance.

7. Australis

Australis Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    The person who drafted the letter was not competent enough to notice this is 2017.

8. Osamar

Osamar Guest

GPU:
    Gforce 560 Ti 1Gb
    With WD Green you need to check parking time.
    It used to be really low (8 secs), and the disk was spinning on/off.
    Change it to 5 minutes and problem solved.

9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If this raises prices of HDDs, then HDD makers are simply digging their own grave faster. As for Seagate, words are not enough to express my gratitude to them for all of their disks I've ever known (more than six), eventually breaking down.

10. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    every person have their own experience and opinion for hdd and hdd maker

you saying 99.5% data recoverable from how many seagate hdd ? if less than 100 its means nothing

also enterprise drives isnt more durable to consumer hdd
    higher io usually that for SAS hdd that have higher rpm 15k

enterprise drive like seagate ES series dont have big performance difference compared to consumer drive, other than equipped with head stabilator

btw wd black also offering 5years warranty, heard its basically same to enterprise drive except different firmware...

can't say much about hdd parts between consumer and enterprise as i never dissect hdd parts myself
    but based what i read, and google-backblaze server report, basically they saying enterprise drive isnt worthed the price either durability over consumer drive, thus they prefer to use consumer hdd over enterprise hdd and saving quite sum of money

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Last time i owned a Seagate was in the early 00's.

I then went with Samsung Spinpoint (R.I.P.) and now i have x 2,5 Inch WD HDDs cuz they're silent ^^

12. Viper666

Viper666 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 460 2GB
    HDD reliability experience varies a lot from person to person and the way they stress it. Some people only browse the internet, some upload/download 100+ torrents, some have heavy workloads or keep their system always on with HDD autosleep deactivated. In my personal view the most reliable HDDs were made by Hitachi (which was acquired by WD few years ago but still sell some types under the HGST name). As for Seagate, i had 2 bad experiences with them as i had with Samsung, so i moved on to Hitachi and WD.

This is not the death of the HDDs, as they are pretty reliable and will continue to dominate the market-share well after 2020. From the SSD p.o.v I'm looking forward to NVMe and M.2 improvements over the aging SATA.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  13. chronek

chronek Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    can someone share for free seagate disk firmware cc92-cc96 for Barracuda LP 5900.2 ? I lost overlay when doing terminal formating, it is not big deal, but can not clear p,g-list now

14. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    There will always be a place for bigger and bigger capacity HDDs, dinosaurs or not... :eyebrows:

The day I can buy affordable SSDs at 4+TB capacity might change that, but that's still a long way off sadly.

15. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Even that will do you no good just because*it moving forward to NVMe, U.2 and M.2 it still cost arm and leg just get a 1TB drive will set you back $270 vs a pair 4TB with changes left over.
    The down side with SSD is when it goes it gone for good there is usually no hope of recovery where mechanical hard drives can be*more reliable at recovery the*data even you have sent it in to have it done when software tools don't work*ware with SSD they can be even more difficult and expensive to recover data from if software tools don't work.
    Oh SATA not dead what do you think M.2 is an implementation of the SATA Express interface

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I don't see how this would raise prices. It's simple economics - supply and demand. The reason HDDs are getting so cheap is because the demand is low. The reason Seagate is making this move in the first place is because the demand is so low. Most of what you're paying for is the brand name, materials, and shipping. This is why you can get a 250GB drive for the same price as a 750GB drive.

As long as the supply keeps up (which according to their graphs it looks like it might), I suspect this move will lower prices. Closing a large factory and laying off that many employees is an easy way to save a lot of cash when competing factories can keep up just fine.

17. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    You do know that min of those are drive are just New Old Stock

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    How does that change my point?

19. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    Call me an old school kinda guy but i prefer HDDs. Just the price and capacity you get is much more value to me than the speed of a SSD but cost 2x more at much less capacity. Until the day I can get a 2tb SSD for the same price of a 2tb HDD, I could care less for a SSD today.

20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    SSD for OS, HDD for storage... Win Win..