Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
ASUS Launches new ROG themed SLI bridge
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone
 
Hilbert Hagedoorn's Avatar
 
Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 5960K
Mainboard: X99
Memory: 16GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default ASUS Launches new ROG themed SLI bridge - 01-17-2017, 09:50 | posts: 29,252 | Location: Guru3D testlab

ASUS is introducing a new HB (high-bandwidth) SLI-bridge, the two connector version has received an aestheticĀ*overhaul, the new design is matte black and fits the ASUS ROG theme a bit better....

ASUS Launches new ROG themed SLI bridge
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
cryohellinc
Master Guru
 
cryohellinc's Avatar
 
Videocard: 1080Ti SeaHawkX@2k+PG348Q
Processor: Intel i7 4770k @4.5ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z87 Mpower
Memory: Corsair DDR3 @1600
Soundcard: Sound Blaster ZxR + Amp
PSU: ANTEC 1200W
Default 01-17-2017, 10:57 | posts: 650 | Location: St. Petersburg

Sadly SLI nowadays = useless.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
sverek
Ancient Guru
 
sverek's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX970 4G
Processor: i5 2500k
Mainboard: P8Z68-V
Memory: Corsair Ven. 8GB
Soundcard: XonarDG+HD595
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default 01-17-2017, 11:11 | posts: 2,813 | Location: Ibaraki, Japan

More toys to decorate benching machines.


   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
Mr Terry Turnip
Master Guru
 
Videocard: MSI 1060 Gaming X
Processor: Intel 6700K 4.5 Ghz
Mainboard: Asus ROG Hero
Memory: 16GB Corsair 2400Mhz
Soundcard: AV Receiver
PSU: Corsair VS550W
Default 01-17-2017, 11:13 | posts: 422 | Location: The House

Quote:
Originally Posted by sverek View Post
More toys to decorate benching machines.
Haha; I liked this
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
icedman
Master Guru
 
icedman's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI gtx 980 gaming 4g
Processor: I7 3770k@4.2ghz delidded
Mainboard: P8Z77-VLK
Memory: 24gb 2000mhz corsair pro
Soundcard: sound blaster audigy
PSU: thermaltake 850w
Default 01-17-2017, 13:00 | posts: 634 | Location: Ontario Canada

why does Nvidia even insist on having a bridge for what looks like a dying technology?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
TheDeeGee
Ancient Guru
 
TheDeeGee's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
Processor: Intel Core 4770K
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H
Memory: Crucial Ballistix LP 16GB
Soundcard: SoundBlaster ZxR
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 760
Default 01-17-2017, 13:30 | posts: 5,048

But does it work for Half-Assed Console Ports... that is the question.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
LesserHellspawn
Master Guru
 
Videocard: 3x Gigabyte GTX980ti
Processor: Core i7 5960X
Mainboard: ASUS X99-E WS
Memory: 4x4GB Corsair DDR4 3200
Soundcard: Onboard Realtek 7.1
PSU: Enermax Platimax 1,7 KW
Default 01-17-2017, 18:53 | posts: 567

I would be happy if some manufacturer would release HB tri and quad bridges. It's been proven that Pascal can be made to work in tri and quad. Right now there is no real upgrade path from my tri 980ti. Dual 1080 would just perform nearly identical, though power usage would go down.

SLI dying ? Rather NVidia trying to kill it off and developers unwilling/incapable to properly support DX12 multi GPU. Yet still no single card rig can even hope to drive triple 4K monitors even remotely acceptable. SLI is still needed on the absolute high end of the spectrum. And we are gurus here, right ?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
chispy
Ancient Guru
 
chispy's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX1080Ti @ 2126/6156 H2O
Processor: Ryzen 1700x @ 4102Mhz H2O
Mainboard: Asus CH VI Hero x370 AM4
Memory: DDR4-16GB @ 3555Mhz
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: eVGA Supernova G2-1300w
Default 01-17-2017, 19:15 | posts: 7,784 | Location: In Paradise :)

   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
mattm4
Member Guru
 
mattm4's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
Processor: AMD R7-1700 @ 3.9 GHz
Mainboard: MSI X370 PRO CARBON
Memory: G.SKILL TridentZ 16G 3600
Soundcard: Creative Recon3D
PSU: *
Default 01-18-2017, 19:35 | posts: 148 | Location: Raleigh NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserHellspawn View Post
I would be happy if some manufacturer would release HB tri and quad bridges. It's been proven that Pascal can be made to work in tri and quad. Right now there is no real upgrade path from my tri 980ti. Dual 1080 would just perform nearly identical, though power usage would go down.

SLI dying ? Rather NVidia trying to kill it off and developers unwilling/incapable to properly support DX12 multi GPU. Yet still no single card rig can even hope to drive triple 4K monitors even remotely acceptable. SLI is still needed on the absolute high end of the spectrum. And we are gurus here, right ?
I agree with this, SLI is being pushed away by Nvidia, and I also feel hardware (more so GPU's) can be better utilized, as in games/software better developed to use the hardware.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
go4brendon
Member Guru
 
go4brendon's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI 1080Ti Seahawk X
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z
Memory: DDR3 1600mhz 16gb
Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster Z
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Default 05-11-2017, 08:34 | posts: 105 | Location: Winchester, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryohellinc View Post
Sadly SLI nowadays = useless.
Yep same for cf. It's just not worth paying for a second gpu with such limited support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserHellspawn View Post
I would be happy if some manufacturer would release HB tri and quad bridges. It's been proven that Pascal can be made to work in tri and quad. Right now there is no real upgrade path from my tri 980ti. Dual 1080 would just perform nearly identical, though power usage would go down.

SLI dying ? Rather NVidia trying to kill it off and developers unwilling/incapable to properly support DX12 multi GPU. Yet still no single card rig can even hope to drive triple 4K monitors even remotely acceptable. SLI is still needed on the absolute high end of the spectrum. And we are gurus here, right ?
The last title with semi ok multi gpu support in dx12 was deus ex md. Even then the patch took ages to come out and most people had finished the game already. My second gpu was mostly a bench warmer (for 2 years) and only ever used for benchmarks
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#11)
ChisChas
Newbie
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 780 ACX x 2
Processor: Haswell 4770K @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z87x-UD3H
Memory: Corsair Ven Pro 2133 16GB
Soundcard: Creative SB Z
PSU: Corsair HX 1050
Default 05-11-2017, 10:16 | posts: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilbert Hagedoorn View Post
ASUS is introducing a new HB (high-bandwidth) SLI-bridge, the two connector version has received an aestheticĀ*overhaul, the new design is matte black and fits the ASUS ROG theme a bit better....

ASUS Launches new ROG themed SLI bridge
If SLI is dead in the water, then what is the point of this news? I had one tri set up but I've had SLI for years, as I do now, and leaving aside (if one can nowadays) the doubling of the graphics cards budget, SLI used to be a very effective way in playing games like Crysis at Very High Quality settings on my Dell U2711.

If anyone has some influence, surely it must be you, Hilbert? Can you persuade the game designers to provide for SLI?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
ChisChas
Newbie
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 780 ACX x 2
Processor: Haswell 4770K @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z87x-UD3H
Memory: Corsair Ven Pro 2133 16GB
Soundcard: Creative SB Z
PSU: Corsair HX 1050
Default 05-11-2017, 10:20 | posts: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by go4brendon View Post
Yep same for cf. It's just not worth paying for a second gpu with such limited support.



The last title with semi ok multi gpu support in dx12 was deus ex md. Even then the patch took ages to come out and most people had finished the game already. My second gpu was mostly a bench warmer (for 2 years) and only ever used for benchmarks
Is NVidia so profitable that they can't be bothered to ensure their SLI customers benefit from two graphics cards or are there so few SLI users that we are not worth their interest?

How much trouble is it for the game designers to provide for SLI use?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
GALTARAUJO
Member Guru
 
Videocard: 2 x GTX980 Strix
Processor: i7 5930k
Mainboard: Asus Rampage V
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 1000W
Default 05-11-2017, 12:25 | posts: 50

[SLI dying ? Rather NVidia trying to kill it off and developers unwilling/incapable to properly support DX12 multi GPU. Yet still no single card rig can even hope to drive triple 4K monitors even remotely acceptable. SLI is still needed on the absolute high end of the spectrum. And we are gurus here, right ?]

If it is not dying then it is being killed and aside legal matters, that is pretty much the same.
I have been running SLI since 470GTX and I OK with that (currently have 2 980 Strix), but if I were to upgrade today, I would probably get a 1080ti because things are what they are.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
Solfaur
Ancient Guru
 
Solfaur's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
Processor: i7 5820K + Corsair H115i
Mainboard: ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME
Memory: HyperX Predator 16GB 3000
Soundcard: ROG SupremeFX + Z-5500
PSU: Corsair RM1000i
Default 05-11-2017, 13:18 | posts: 6,331 | Location: Romania

I had 3 generations of SLI setups (2x580s, 2x680s, 2x970s) before switching to 1070 and not 1080 Ti. I honestly wouldn't recommend to anyone to go SLI now, it's not just nvidia "killing it off", but also more importantly developers who RARELY can be bothered these days to implement support for -decent- multi gpu scaling. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing with AMD and xfire.

I was an early adopter of 1440p like 7 years ago, so I had to go 2xGPUs, but it was working for most of the time pretty good (especially in the games I was playing). So I can really understand the guys with 4K screens that want to max out their games, and it is indeed hard with current single GPU, especially in newer games. However, I would rather turn down some settings, or hold off of 4K before single GPU solutions catch up, then to spend cash on 2xGPUs and then struggle with them.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
ChisChas
Newbie
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 780 ACX x 2
Processor: Haswell 4770K @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z87x-UD3H
Memory: Corsair Ven Pro 2133 16GB
Soundcard: Creative SB Z
PSU: Corsair HX 1050
Default 05-12-2017, 12:18 | posts: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solfaur View Post
I had 3 generations of SLI setups (2x580s, 2x680s, 2x970s) before switching to 1070 and not 1080 Ti. I honestly wouldn't recommend to anyone to go SLI now, it's not just nvidia "killing it off", but also more importantly developers who RARELY can be bothered these days to implement support for -decent- multi gpu scaling. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing with AMD and xfire.

I was an early adopter of 1440p like 7 years ago, so I had to go 2xGPUs, but it was working for most of the time pretty good (especially in the games I was playing). So I can really understand the guys with 4K screens that want to max out their games, and it is indeed hard with current single GPU, especially in newer games. However, I would rather turn down some settings, or hold off of 4K before single GPU solutions catch up, then to spend cash on 2xGPUs and then struggle with them.
Very helpful viewpoint, I bought my Dell U2711 about 7-8 years ago at some eye-watering cost (early adaptingitis) and have run SLI setups for a long time for the same reason as you.

I found SLI fun and more exciting than a single card setup and it's a real shame that NVidia & the game developers have given up supporting SLI.

I'll 'probably' upgrade to 4K GSynch & an upgraded 1080Ti later this year, the best gaming kit has always been expensive but this also applies to everything else. Quality of image is more important than FPS for my gaming, the wonder of the jungle scenes in Crysis on my U2711 were worth the premium.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#16)
Solfaur
Ancient Guru
 
Solfaur's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
Processor: i7 5820K + Corsair H115i
Mainboard: ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME
Memory: HyperX Predator 16GB 3000
Soundcard: ROG SupremeFX + Z-5500
PSU: Corsair RM1000i
Default 05-12-2017, 16:27 | posts: 6,331 | Location: Romania

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisChas View Post
Very helpful viewpoint, I bought my Dell U2711 about 7-8 years ago at some eye-watering cost (early adaptingitis) and have run SLI setups for a long time for the same reason as you.

I found SLI fun and more exciting than a single card setup and it's a real shame that NVidia & the game developers have given up supporting SLI.

I'll 'probably' upgrade to 4K GSynch & an upgraded 1080Ti later this year, the best gaming kit has always been expensive but this also applies to everything else. Quality of image is more important than FPS for my gaming, the wonder of the jungle scenes in Crysis on my U2711 were worth the premium.
Ha, that was exactly the same with me! My U2711 was actually one of the best if not THE best high end investment I ever made, considering its longevity. I still use it to this day, and despite being limited by 60Hz and no g-sync, the image quality is still fantastic and I find it SOOO hard to upgrade after reading SOOO many complaints about the craptastic panel quality in the high end monitors of today. I literally didn't even know what backlight bleeding was for example because I never had any similar issues with my U2711...

At this point I'm pretty sure that even when I finally upgrade, I will still keep my Dell on the side or for a secondary PC.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#17)
RavenMaster
Master Guru
 
RavenMaster's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2x EVGA GTX 1080Ti's SLI
Processor: Core i7 6850k
Mainboard: EVGA X99 FTW-K
Memory: 32GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX
Soundcard: Creative SB ZXR
PSU: CM Silent Pro Gold 1200w
Default 05-12-2017, 16:58 | posts: 761 | Location: UK

Used to be that having 2 nvidia cards in SLI would give you 80-90% performance boost. Adding a 3rd card would give an extra 20%, adding a 4th card would give you an extra 4%. So while 3-way and 4-way SLI simply wasn't worth it, i always found that 2-way SLI was great. Now though, with the 1080 and 1080Ti's that i tried in 2-way SLI, all i'm seeing lately is problems and around 60-70% performance boosts at best. Nvidia really fell off the wagon with their proprietary technologies this year. And getting G-sync to work properly with 2-way SLI is another nightmare entirely.

They keep promising that they'll fix these two issues in 'the next driver' but its been like 5 'next drivers' later and the issues still aren't fixed. Not sure if it's just a 10 series GPU issue or what but i never had these problems with the 9 series or 7 series cards.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#18)
Agent-A01
Ancient Guru
 
Agent-A01's Avatar
 
Videocard: 1080Ti H20
Processor: i7 5930K 4.7GHz H20
Mainboard: ASUS X99-AU31
Memory: G.Skill 32GB 3200C12
Soundcard: ASUS Phoebus
PSU: EVGA P2-1200W
Default 05-12-2017, 17:03 | posts: 9,480 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenMaster View Post
G-sync to work properly with 2-way SLI is another nightmare entirely.
What's the issue with Gsync and SLI?
I have none.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#19)
RavenMaster
Master Guru
 
RavenMaster's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2x EVGA GTX 1080Ti's SLI
Processor: Core i7 6850k
Mainboard: EVGA X99 FTW-K
Memory: 32GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX
Soundcard: Creative SB ZXR
PSU: CM Silent Pro Gold 1200w
Default 05-12-2017, 17:15 | posts: 761 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-A01 View Post
What's the issue with Gsync and SLI?
I have none.
Loss of performance with both activated together. It's a known issue and manuelG said they're working on it.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#20)
Agent-A01
Ancient Guru
 
Agent-A01's Avatar
 
Videocard: 1080Ti H20
Processor: i7 5930K 4.7GHz H20
Mainboard: ASUS X99-AU31
Memory: G.Skill 32GB 3200C12
Soundcard: ASUS Phoebus
PSU: EVGA P2-1200W
Default 05-12-2017, 17:24 | posts: 9,480 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenMaster View Post
Loss of performance with both activated together. It's a known issue and manuelG said they're working on it.
Significantly?

Source of them acknowledging and that they are working on it?
Haven't seen this.

I have seen that it affects performance by 10%~ IIRC in 3dmark benchmarks.
Never tried anywhere else
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#21)
ChisChas
Newbie
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 780 ACX x 2
Processor: Haswell 4770K @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z87x-UD3H
Memory: Corsair Ven Pro 2133 16GB
Soundcard: Creative SB Z
PSU: Corsair HX 1050
Default 05-15-2017, 10:49 | posts: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenMaster View Post
Used to be that having 2 nvidia cards in SLI would give you 80-90% performance boost. Adding a 3rd card would give an extra 20%, adding a 4th card would give you an extra 4%. So while 3-way and 4-way SLI simply wasn't worth it, i always found that 2-way SLI was great. Now though, with the 1080 and 1080Ti's that i tried in 2-way SLI, all i'm seeing lately is problems and around 60-70% performance boosts at best. Nvidia really fell off the wagon with their proprietary technologies this year. And getting G-sync to work properly with 2-way SLI is another nightmare entirely.

They keep promising that they'll fix these two issues in 'the next driver' but its been like 5 'next drivers' later and the issues still aren't fixed. Not sure if it's just a 10 series GPU issue or what but i never had these problems with the 9 series or 7 series cards.
Well seeing as the latest custom 1080 Ti's don't play every game at 60+ at 4K, and SLI isn't worth using, I'm inclined to wait until the next gen NVidia cards and the next gen monitors.

I'll spend this year's 'me' treats budget on a 4K TV & a UHD BluRay player.
   
Reply With Quote
I love sli
Old
  (#22)
typhon6657
Member Guru
 
Videocard: Zotac GTX 1080 SLI 2.1ghz
Processor: i7 7700k de-lid 5.2ghz
Mainboard: ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO
Memory: F4-4266C19D-16GTZR
Soundcard: STR-DH550,Klipsch R-15M's
PSU: SeaSonic 1200 SS-1200XP3
Default I love sli - 05-20-2017, 02:41 | posts: 59 | Location: Madera CA

Lucky for me most the games I play support sli. Just picked up another 1080 for kinda cheap LOL!! Now I have to spend another $100 for a water block.Then I can run Crysis 4K Ultra.
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 2017, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.