Things we would like to see in a guru3D Ryzen review

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by ViRGE, Jan 17, 2017.

1. ViRGE

ViRGE Guest

Guys I am following guru 3D since 2014, the community is great and the articles very well written, but I was curious of what you would like to see in the Guru3D review of Ryzen, these are my suggestions:

• Ryzen + AM4 support's ecc memory? If yes, some gamming benchs with ECC would be nice!
    • The evil within only runs well on intel's cpus thanks to instructions introduced in Haswell, how will Ryzen perform? Does it feature all latest instructions? I think that would be an interesting use case.
    • How the Ryzen memory controller performs in games with different ram speeds? GTA V, the Witcher 3, fallout 4 and Gears of War 4 will be perfect to point out ram speeds with small gains.
    • How's the IPCs gains translate in single thread games? Arma III needs to be here!
    • With almost all high clocked ddr4 kits using XMP how that affects Ryzen?
    • Would love an clock to clock 4ghz battle between Ryzen, Steamroller, sandy bridge, haswell, brodwell-e, skylake and kaby-lake.
    • More info on the pci-e 3.0 lanes, how ryzen handle 2 Titan XP(overclockeds) in SLI with an HB bridge and 2 fury Xs in crossfire on games with good scaling? Battlefield 4 is ideal thanks to its almost perfect scaling and moderate to high cpu consumption, Ashes of the singularity can be here as well.
    • How SSD NVMEs are affected in pci-e 3.0 x2?
    • How XFR works? The clocks are stable? The load on the cores are important?
    • AMDs SMT implementation can be disable? How much performance is gained or lost?
    • With Ryzen being a SOC, how's the bios/uefi interface , resources and features affected?
    • DX11 vs DX12 and core usage in games.
    • Brief Overclocking tutorial.

The ECC ram support are top priority for me ^^

2. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    Yeah, thanks for this post, one important thing among others is the presence of native PCI :nerd:. I know that all of you will say WTF? Yeah we're 2017 but I own a Creative X-Fi Fatality Gamer Pro Series on PCI (better aniway than all board options to date) and I want to further use that card for which I payed 240 EUR at that time:3eyes:.

Looks like AMD and at least MSI B350 Tomahawk is fullfilling my wish....are there any other boards with native PCI? :wanker:.

3. ViRGE

ViRGE Guest

Sure, I was talking with my friend about that as well, PCI sound cards are still great, boards with PCI that I have spotted so far: Gigabyte's have the GA-AB350M-D3H ,ECS also have the ECS-B350AM4-M with one PCI slot each and both are microATX with B350 (overclock ready), also the Biostar-X350-GT5 is the only fullATX besides the B350 Tomahawk that I noticed with B350 and PCI slots, all others are A320 not really the kind of board we would buy lol

Question is will be any X370 board with PCI slot? Maybe some Chinese brand like Maxsun could go for something like this :)

4. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    no, not brief article on overclocking . I want an extended review on overclocking . :p

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Nice thread.

Well , i would like to see :

1. How's the IPCs gains translate in single thread games? Also in multi-threaded games.
    Please Hilbert if you can benchmark a racing game like Forza Horizon 3 would be fantastic for us that play that gaming genre a lot.

2. How the Ryzen memory controller performs in games with different ram speeds?

3. How the Sata 6 controller performs with the latest fast sata 6 SSDs , also raid0 of 2 SSDs performance on the chipset native Raid controller and lastly NVMe SSDs performance.

I got a short list of request :D

I'm sure Hilbert will have most of this stuff covered as his cpu reviews are extensive , long , very informative and well put together. For us gamers and enthusiast Guru3D cpu reviews are the best you can find online :) , i'm quite sure Hilbert already have a Zen cpu and motherboard on the test bench but due to NDA he cannot say anything ;)

6. Sinean

Sinean Active Member

GPU:
    xfx 7900 xt
    obs/xsplit

cpu usage with software h.264 1080p@60 and higher in obs and xsplit.

7. grndzro7

grndzro7 Member

GPU:
    7850 @ 1200/1400
    Overclocked benchies of multiple XFR series CPU's using a decent 2 fan tower with good thermal paste, and at least DDR4-3200 at the tightest timings available.

Possibly OC NB, IMC performance if available.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  8. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Would like to see Gaming benchmarks and not just those cherry-picked by either side Older as well as Newer titles. Its ok to be one sided or have a favirot brand we are all like that but hell as of late I went from being Amd fan to Intel 100% across the board.

I think this is Amd's last chance I really want them to do well.Nz

9. reeven

reeven Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX280 750/1450/3000
    fx8350 comparation.

10. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    This. Not just cherry picked titles like Battlefield 4 or DX12 games. Also, FuryX results with Ryzen would be great, and not just at 4k ultra settings.

11. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I want to see if Ryzen has any EDRAM for the built in GPU if its there. I know Broadwell does well with IPC and RAM bandwidth sensitive games like ARMA 3.

IPC, RAM Latency, RAM bandwidth and large cpu cache is important for single thread scaling.

12. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Thanks for the back-up Spartan,

Hilbert does some really good reviews I must admit, His cpu reviews I always found to be the least bias compared to majority out there.

As far as the Fx 8350 goes expect Zen to be 40% Faster according to Amd's claims, maybe even more who knows?