MSI Going For 5.2 GHz Intel i7-7700k Automated GAME BOOST knob OCing with Liquid Cooling

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. bonomork

bonomork Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 6800XT
    > 1,5V how to cook a cpu

3. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Agreed. Ridiculous voltage.

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Auto Destruct they mean?

5. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Well I have my i7 6700K @ 1.49V and its running @ 4.7Ghz 24/7. I'm running Rosetta@Home with no problems 24/7. Been like this for months now with a very stable system at those voltages. These Intel cpu's can handle a lot of torture. I only ever smoked 1 cpu and that was my i7 2600K@ 5Ghz. My 3770K after that was a useless overclocker.

6. bonomork

bonomork Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 6800XT
    At least you know what you are doing. I've a different concept of OC. I try to get the sweet spot frequency / voltage / noise. It's useless to add more voltage when you have reached the wall. 200 Mhz + are not worth.

7. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Isn't Intel providing their guidelines\requirements regarding OC capabilities to MB manufacturers?
    And if so... maybe this already has Inte's blessing? (1.5V and so on)

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Just another button for people that don't know what they're doing. Even worse than putting some "auto CPU upgrade" options in the BIOS version of the vendors. Most of the times you read to NOT use such settings.

9. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Any person imo that's interested in those OC numbers or getting them, won't be needing that feature anyway.

But props to MSI that at least they care enough to go for it or include it. :thumbup:

10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Like most have said before, a 1.5 voltage is simply stupid for a long term overlclock...

Much better to settle for a 5.0Ghz OC at 1.35 voltage.

11. FlyBy

FlyBy Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 1080ti wc
    MSI & Voltages

Intel kindly replaced my new 6700k from last December which was most likely fried due to abnormal high Voltages on the MSI M9 ACK board.

The board never got the CPU past 4.5GHZ and had lots of trouble.
    That rotating knob is a sure method to ruin your rig ;)

I then switched to Asus Maximus VIII Extreme and that instantly took the CPU to 4.8 solid on all cores with Voltages way lower than MSI did.

Sadly the CPU died shortly afterwards and would not boot again no matter what I tried. Asus Qcode 00.

I sent the board and CPU for RMA and both got replaced, whereas I assume the board got bricked due to a broken CPU that itself got bricked by the 1st board, MSI.

That was the 2nd MSI board since I do computing and definitely the very last one.

Asus is way superior, no matter what MSI claims or writes.

12. Unilythe

Unilythe Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    So you had a completely new processor and then come to the conclusion the board is what caused the new processor to overclock better?

No, a board can not and will not have such a huge difference in overclocking potential. You clearly had terrible luck in silicon lottery in your first 6700k, and had much better luck with your second 6700k. You really can not draw a conclusion like you just did with the data you had.

And for the record, I got an Asus Z270 ROG Maximus IX Formula for my upcoming new build, so it's not the MSI fanboy in me defending MSI. Your logic simply doesn't work.

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Not every Kaby can reach 5ghz at 1.35v. Digital Foundry said they have two 7600k/7700k's and both of them are stuck at 4.8ghz at reasonable voltages. Pushing it higher requires very beafy cooling.

14. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    @Unilythe Just gonna set the record straight with the Z170 Chipsets...across manufactuers this has been the case. At first using adaptive voltage would way overvolt the CPU, bios update. From there from one bios update to another certain voltage would then be out of spec either very high or low. Also LLC is defined by Intel, so people reading guides may not realize for example on Asus LLC 1 to 7 higher is higher, while on Asrock LLC 1-5 lower is higher.

And yes people needed these bios updates over the last year to correct things. Skylake owner since Nov 2015.

So it is possible with the way voltage have gone with Skylake. the last 2 previous bios from Asus for my board it you leave the SA and VCCIO at auto you will and can hit 1.3 or higher volts. I did not even bother to try auto on the last bios build.

Each bios update, I have had to go through and totally monitor every voltage intensively.

These are just some examples, which at least for ASUS over at overclock.net Raja@asus will take our findings to the developers for fix from the z170 Asus motherboard thread and now the Z270, as well he tries to help us with questions and bios settings and tweaks.

Incidentally I run a Asus Z170-A
    I5 6600K 4.9 Core 4.8 Unicore 1.488 core volts 24/7 AIO from Corsair for Cooling
    16 gig G.Skill kit 3200 Mhz

The game nob looks intriguing it has 2 strikes for me...I prefer to manually overclock and my new Thermaltake Tower 900 case does not lend itself to enter the case to adjust nobs.

For others the more casual person, these "gimicks" can be huge selling points and allow these casual people to overclock and see more bang for their bucks for their systems.

As to gamemode currently I think it will just be a type of "vaporware", as it is gonna depend on how aggressive MS gets with it. I seriously doubt they will go all in to slim down processes. IE Antimalware is one of the biggest offenders for cpu spikes in Win 10. ( I keep it disabled on every Insider build.)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  15. Unilythe

Unilythe Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    It's in fact the other way around. The XPOWER boards have always been for hardcore overclockers, not for regular gamers who overclock just a little. It's probably meant as a simple starting point for more extreme overclocking or to test how good your CPU is in the silicon lottery.

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Of course but in this cases is better to leave at 4.8Ghz than to increase the voltage to reach the 5ghz mark.
    Because in the end the difference between a 7700K/7600K running at 4.8 or at 5 is insignificant, but destrying a CPU with too much voltage matters much more!...:eek:c:

17. Zeka

Zeka Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 280
    They should bring back the turbo button on computer cases :banana:

Easy OC via button

-----
    Btw, I know it was used to slow down old cpus for compatibility.

18. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    980X is still alive, undervolted and overclocked :D

19. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    Intel will be happy when the odd few burns their cpu´s

20. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Damm that is Impressive 5.2 Ghz out of the box wow! The fastest Cpu I have ever run was a 4790k at 4.5 ghz - Maybe capable of more but I am not a pro-overclocker like some of you guys here. 7700k is on my list for damm sure!