Samsung Electronics probe finds battery was main cause

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I believe the article should start as "The forever-going Samsung investigation of what caused..." which is still inconclusive and to vague it seems.

And I guess they can't outright admit that the battery compartment or the battery design itself seems to be the culprit since that would be even worse for them.

I'm assuming this since the problem appeared even when a different supplier was used and that implies more to a battery design issue in combination with the battery compartment probably but not necessary so.

I was patiently waiting for the SGN7 to replace my SGN4 until the last 9 months now which my S7E provides all I need(and more) and even my brother-in-law who was holding on his SGN3 and was also waiting for N7 got a S7E and he's extremely happy with it with most positive comments on its speed and battery endurance.

No S8 edge or otherwise can steer us away. But I would love to see what it brings. :thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I thought this was reported months ago?

4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Not by Samsung it was by independent company who investigate on this issue...
    and it was already month after user already know that it was the batery.

:banana:

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Replacements had new batteries with a different suplier, so not just batteries at fault

From everything I've read, I'm more inclined to believe they just did not leave enough breathing room for the batteries expansion, so slight bumps, and just normal changing cycles nipped the battery layers and caused them to short and explode

If it happened with two different batteries and suppliers, IMO the fault was in the design of the phone

If we are getting BSODs with a PC, and we replace say the GPU, and we're still getting BSODs, we don't blame the GPU again

6. Zeka

Zeka Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 280
    Many independent experts already voiced their opinions, and no matter what Samsung reports, it is a fact that they went too far with battery unit tolerances.

Phone material expands during normal operation and this puts battery under pressure, which nullifies the insulation layer function between + and - layers, so they start feeding energy into each other which leads to buildup of temperature etc

3500 Mah battery squeezed into a very small space. Also, not enough real world testing

That said, I have the S5 and it's the best phone I ever had.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    3600mAh battery in the S7 Edge and that didn't explode

IMO the housing was the main issue

8. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Still quite happy with my Note 3. Never had any major problems with it, and I love the big screen.

9. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Too thin, no breathing room. I honestly think this race to make the thinnest phone is pointless anyway. Problems with phone batteries is showing there's a physical limit, one they shouldn't exceed for the sake of safety in-use by customers.

This will affect Apple as well, who in their race to make their phones thinner removed the headphone jack.

Definately. Making a slightly thicker phone definately opens up upgrading options.

I blame part of this "thin race" on companies who over the years have made the phone become a status symbol. They realised that although women aren't that tech-savvy, they love small gadgets and amongst women (who are just as competitive as men, if not more so in the social sense) having the latest phone is a talking point and envy for their friends, who in turn rush out to get the latest to stay "up-to-date" and "hip".

Realising women don't really care about the internal hardware, there had to be another way to entice them. They found it in the trigger words "thin/thinnest". The word "thin" seems highly popular with women. The less is more mobile phone market is born.

Guys care about other things like latest processors (basically faster), storage (games, pics, videos and more games) and cameras etc. As long as overall specs for a new product are "great", most guys don't even care about how thin phones are.

Powerful business marketing at work.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Personally I would prefer a few mm thicker phone if it gave me an extra 1000mAh+ battery capacity

I used to own phones similar to the Motorola L7089 ffs, not bothered if my phone is the thinnest thing since sliced bread tbh, good speed, good camera / screen, and long battery life

11. Bansaku

Bansaku Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64
    No sh!t Sherlock! :flip:

12. Zeka

Zeka Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 280
    The ONLY thing I hate about today's phones is that I have to charge it every effing day. There should be an XXL option phone with tripled battery capacity (say 6000 mAah) for those of us who don't care about "thin" phones.

13. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    housing + phone "mishandling"
    they are thin and flat, people do not understand that a bulky brick was safer for the internals than something with no margins everywhere and place them where they can be easily crushed
    I don't have that problem as I put them in huge fat "defender" cases because they are very expensive after all, seriously who is sitting on his 1080GTX or letting it fall "oops" ?

bonus but related to guru3d rant :
    have you ever dismantled a PC monitor ? last time I did the chips driving the panel (several around) where raw out of the foundry, no casing, barely soldered and right in front of the "clips" that close the screen...no wonder they have such a huge failure rate like this...if you have lines or a wide band of failing pixels it's one of those that died