Need opinion on 1070 and 1060 for best Flight sim use

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by wingclip, Jan 16, 2017.

1. wingclip

wingclip Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    Hi Folks,
    I’m in the market for a new graphics card and plan to place an order for one before the day is over. At present, I have an MSI R HD7970BE, which has 3 GB memory, a Bus Width of 384, a default Boost/Base Core clock of 1050MHz and 5500MHz (1375 x 4) memory clock speed.

I’m not a “gamer” per se, but I am an avid Flight Sim hobbyist. Over the years, I’ve accumulated several thousand dollars of 3rd party add-on software for my Flight Sim platform; FSX.

FSX hits the CPU hardest but the right GPU can certainly contribute strong support to the system. [I run my i7-4790K (Devil’s Canyon), at 5Ghz when in the sim]

My budget is keeping me at an ABSOLUTE maximum of $390.00. However, I was looking at a GTX 1060 6GB card for about $270.00 when I started. Then after reading some reviews, I began considering the GTX 1070 8GB.

The problem is that the 1070’s that are in the $390.00 spot may not be all that much of an improvement over the 1060 for the additional $110.00+ price tag.

The following cards, (links included), are what I’m looking at. Most are MSI’s but I have some EVGA in the list too. Because I have an MSI mobo, I prefer to stay with an MSI GPU but it's certainly not a "must".

Keeping in mind that I’m focused on using it for the FSX Flight Sim only, (no games) I’m hoping that someone can help me determine the best card for my needs, bang for the buck, and OC capabilities.

Thank you,
    Rich
    (My basic system specs are below as well).

$389.99: MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 1070 8GB (GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G OC)
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01GXOX2BU?ref=emc_b_5_t&th=1

$264.99: MSI Computer GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OCV1 NVIDIA GeForce GDDR5 DVI/2HDMI/2DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01L9VB642?ref=emc_b_5_t&th=1

$279.99: MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 DirectX 12 VR Ready (GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G)
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01IEKYD5U?ref=emc_b_5_t

$289.00: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OCV1 6GB 192-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready ATX Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137040

$389.00 EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition, 08G-P4-5173-KR, 8GB GDDR5, LED, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814487265

Windows 7 64bit
    (H220 liquid cooled mobo and CPU)
    Case: Corsair Carbide Series 500, MSI z97 MPower MAX AC, 16GB RAM 8x2, (G-Skill Ripjaws 2400Mhz), Corsair 1000w PSU, i7 4790K Devils Canyon, MSI R HD7970BE GPU, (1) Crucial MX200 500gb SSD OS Drive, (1) Crucial MX100 500gb SSD, (1) Samsung 840 EVO Pro 500GB SSD, (1) Plextor 256GB SSD, (1) Seagate MomentusX 1TB SSHD eSATA,

2. Rabbitdude92

Rabbitdude92 Guest

GPU:
    HD7850 2GB
    Even if they are only 110$ more, they 1070s are faster and more powerful cards than the 1060 and will serve their purpose for a longer time much like your 7970

3. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    FSX is severely CPU limited.. You might get some overhead with the VRAM but other than that might be a complete waste of money..

4. wingclip

wingclip Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    Thank you,
    You definitely have a point there. I should consider what the tech will be moving ahead and of course, it changes very fast.

Oculus Rift is something that I've only recently become aware of. It's only a matter of "when" before FSX, (and all the 3rd party add-ons), becomes compatible with Oculus Rift.

A strong card would be important for that and even if I don't see OR and FSX get together, the 4K screen, (and G-sync), is something I plan to buy soon as well.
    Thanks again,
    Rich

5. wingclip

wingclip Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    Trust me, I've been a FSX hobbyist for years and it takes time to learn how to set it up. FSX is the main reason I learned how to build a high performance system.

When I went from a 7850 to my present GPU, there was a tremendous difference and far more than I expected. That's because, like you, I was pretty sure the GPU didn't play a very big part, I was obviously wrong.

You won't see frame rates like you see in today's games but then, even the relatively newest release of P3D, (which is FSX revamped by Lockheed Martin), will hammer a CPU if it's not at its peak performance.

When I fly FSX, I crank the CPU up to 5Ghz and as I said, the program is very CPU intensive, but I found that the GPU did indeed make a serious impact on the performance. I run all my settings at max resolution, (for FSX that's 4096 and and my Terrain LOD is 6.5), and the 3rd party addon's are among the best in the industry.

It does hit the system but I can maintain a 32 FPS in the most densely populated areas, flying over it at 200 or 300 feet AGL at mach 1.6. That'll seriously slam the possessor.

I can't do that for too long, but I can do it. My mind is made up but it's a matter of how significant a jump the 1070 is over the 1060. In fact, I believe the 1070 for $389.00 has a lower core and memory clock speed rating out of the box than the 1060.

I'm pretty sure I saw the specs between the two in the Amazon or Newegg breakdowns. Still, I need to double check that because I'm not 100%.
    Thank you,
    Rich

6. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Get rid of that 7970 and get anything from the nvidia stack, fsx is known to favor intel/nvidia. My picks would be possibly Gtx 980ti,1080 possibly a good condition used one, try and stretch your budget if at all possible you won't regret it.I don't play Fsx and longer but back in the day my 4790k was like the perfect CPU to use on that sim, my gfx is rather dated Gtx 780 but always try and pick the fastest single gpu you can afford.I made the switch to Dcs world,war thunder,il 2 sturmovik bos...

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Well... If the gpu scaling in FSX is decent I would definitely go with the 1070. It's on another level compared to the 1060.

8. wingclip

wingclip Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    Yes, it seems you're right! According to the info in Guru3d and others, the 1070 really is a serious step higher. I was having trouble understanding the differences between the various 1070 versions available from each manufacturer.

But according to, (once again), Guru3d and others, it seems the "gaming", or "OC", or even "gaming OC" versions, (which all cost more than a version with dual fans not so named), by as much as $70 -$85. can hit the same OC rates as the ones are at out of the box.

In the link below: Do you think the one that cost $389. can do what the higher priced version of the same card in the group?
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01GXOX2BU?ref=emc_b_5_i&th=1

I need to 'stick a fork' in this search and get on with buying one and now, that's the only thing holding me back. If you scroll down about half way on that page, you'll see a chart that compares the various 1070 specs.

The last one in that chart is a 1060 and the specs are higher than one or more of the 1070 in that chart! These are the kinds of things that have ALWAYS baffled me and I never was able to work out understanding the GPU specs.

This is the 1060 specs in that chart if you don't want to check out the link. I'm hoping you can shed some light on this:
    (OC Mode 1809 MHz / 1594 MHz) (Gaming Mode 1784 MHz / 1569 MHz) (Silent Mode 1708 MHz / 1506 MHz)
    Thanks again,
    Rich

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    That's just frequency.

1070 has significantly more processing(cuda) cores, ROPs, TMUs etc.

Its like comparing a 5ghz quad core i7 to a 6 core i7 at 4,6ghz,

6 core still much faster.

10. wingclip

wingclip Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    Ahh Yes! "Cuda Cores"! I need to get back over to the MSI site and reread what these Cuda Cores are because it seems that only MSI has that specification, (unless I missed seeing it listed in other manufacturers like EVGA and ASUS).

I very much appreciate the input and your experienced opinion. I'm certainly in the dark when it comes to these cards and yet,they're very likely to be the one component that I've researched more than any other in my system:bang:!

BTW: Your statement"...Its like comparing a 5ghz quad core i7 to a 6 core i7 at 4,6ghz..." is something I'm beginning to think I need to reconsider.

I bought the i7-4790K (Devils Canyon is the re-manufactured version with the improved thermal qualities), less than a year ago. I replaced my Asrock eXtreme4 mobo and i7-2600K CPU, (among a few other components), with the MSI mobo and 4790K I have now. I built a second desktop with the "old" hardware.

Replacing my 2600K was something I really didn't want to do but the motherboards I wanted simply didn't accept that processor. The 2600K always ran exceptionally great at 5. to 5.1GHz and never hotter than 76C (seriously).

The 4790K hits 5Ghz but it'll get to 86-88C at times, (and I do have an aggressive semi-closed loop cooling system). Anyway, at the time, I had a chance at a great price on a new 4790K for less than $230.00.

In addition to that price, I was finding an unusual number of reviews that claimed the i7 6 cores were either barely faster than a 4 core or only faster under some particular applications and uses, (I can't recall the exact model # but it started with a "6").

The "applications" that they mentioned were not in line with the needs of the FSX code, (which requires a very fast core response). So with the $225.00 price tag and those reviews, I bought the 4790K.

I'm very likely to be replacing it soon with a i5 or i7 6 core because I think those reviews and claims were inaccurate or dated.

Whichever it was, I think a 6-core can get to a speed that matches what I need without breaking 82C.
    Thanks again!
    I'm going for the 1070 and I appreciate your time:)!
    Rich
    PS I'm going to "Kudos" your posts and consider this question answered:banana:

11. wingclip

wingclip Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    Hmmm... I thought there was a way to rate a reply with a Kudos and/or note the question answered. I don't see any way to do that so if I'm overlooking something, please let me know. Otherwise, I guess I'm mixing up my websites, lol.
    Rich

12. wingclip

wingclip Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    Wow! I can't find anything on line to indicate these 1070s, (MSI, EVGA, PNY, etc.), have a 2-position bios switch like my 7970! Does Nvdia/GTX not do that:cry:?

I didn't know that option was a AMD/ATI thing.

To anyone: If I'm wrong and there are some 1070's with a 2 position bios switch, please let me know!
    Thanks,
    Rich

13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    http://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-5173-KR

3 models with dual BIOS.

14. wingclip

wingclip Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070

15. wingclip

wingclip Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    DARN IT!! (and I'm keeping it clean), I didn't see that post by Heavy Hemi! I was trying to decide between the MSI and one of the EVGA's that happen to have that switch!

I know the order hasn't shipped yet and I may just call them and change it. I've got to see what I can do because I don't know for sure, but I don't think any MSI 1070 GPUs have one.
    Thank you!
    Rhich

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It don't look like we are getting a Pascal BIOS editor so dual bios switch may be a moot point.

17. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    That's probably true....but it does allow the ability to flash a BIOS from other model GPUs with a bit less risk.

18. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    I went from a 7990 to a 1070 and saw a nice improvement. Granted my 7990 was crossfire, but even with perfect scaling I saw noticeable gains.

The 1070 is the best price to performance hitter so far. Unless you want to wait a beat to see if the prices change when AMD releases its new offering.

I play DCS, and DCS is cpu limited btw. I think when DCS 2.0 comes out they made great performance increases and you'll notice the 1070 at work then.

Our PC specs are quite similar according to your stats. Minus hyperthreading.

I'm currently playing DCS with the Vive too on medium settings.

Regardless you won't go wrong with a 1070.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  19. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Overclocked 7950 to a 1070 here, been very pleased with it. Cooler, quieter and a good triple performance to boot!

20. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Samo here very satisfied with the GTX 1070