Xbox One S

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by PhazeDelta1, Jan 14, 2017.

1. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Finally broke down and ordered one. It should be here this week. Anyone using one?

2. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    I traded my base PS4 for one when I got my PS4 Pro, apart from using it as a 4K Blu Ray player it's been pretty neglected, UI feels clunky and slow.

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Not gonna lie. I mainly bought it because of the 4K player. It was cheaper to just buy the Xbox than it is to buy a 4K player.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Yeah i have a 1tb slim model and the older video cassette player model, but the slim version is just great, everything is a little bit quicker on it due to that wee overclock, 4k is fantastic on it, HDR once seen cannot be unseen, 4k movies are just amazing on it, and let me just say so is the upscaling, this thing upscales like nothing else i have seen, my tv can upscale and it is rubbish, but this thing, BR movies just pop, old DVD's also just pop in colour and sharpness, you should see the old Dr who restoration DVD's on it, all shot on 1970 video format, but that upscaler really does make it all pop, and games also look great upscaled, treat yourself to a copy of the forza games and the Gears of wars games, you won't regret it.

But at a basic level for the money you are paying you are getting a cracking 4k and media player, worth the money alone for those features never mind the games. ha

And do not forget about BC, if you have any xbox 360 games on a xbox account you had in the past they will appear on the xb1 if they are bc, or even some retail disc if you have any.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017

5. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    One thing that really bugs me about it is the fact you can't disable any of the system sounds, I really don't need to hear things while navigating menus.

Standard Blu Rays and DVD's look pretty much as you'd expect, no real difference between the Xbox One S and the PS4 Pro, but 4K Blu Rays with HDR do look amazing.

Games wise having played Gears of War 4 and Forza Horizon 3 on the PC, I wasn't expecting much and while Gears of War 4 holds up nicely vs the PC, Forza Horizon 3 really has some pretty poor anti aliasing which no amount of upscaling can fix so I'll carry on playing the PC version of that.

Played a quite a few missions in Halo 5 and I really don't like how you're constantly in a squad this time around, not sure I'll ever get round to finishing it.

But as a 4K Blu Ray player it's a steal price wise considering the competition.

6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Is anyone using an external HDD with theirs ?

7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Yeap, i have a 1tb i use to store XB1 games that i move bewteen the two as i ran out of space long ago, but this works fine as my BC list of 360 games is rather large and takes up a good 600gig of space alone on the internal HDD, so have all the big games on the 1tb and all the xbox 360 games on the internal HDD, i also use a 2tb for media, all work perfectly, i also have a 8 gig usb stick for my own music to play while gaing, although the music player still needs a update as of now it just loads the first 200 songs in and plays them, but that update is on the cards at some point.

I swear if you plug your finger into this thing it will use it. lol

8. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i have it. gave my normal xbox one to my cousin.
    White color is nice. new controller is not making my hands wet. silent running.

its emu runs at 4k. and even games says 4k when i press INFO button of my tv, but it stretches or has no effects i guess.

and out f the box it came with a vertical stand which i am using since day 1.

1tb of it is not enough to me :( . using external SSD 1tb too. and it makes a lot of sense. wish , can do the same with PS4 pro.

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    What's the deal with the Xbox live sub? You pay $120 a year if you pay monthly. If you buy a year up front, then it's only $60.

10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Exactly. Microsoft makes it pretty known that this is the best deal, and usually will give you deals to renew your subscription. I usually get mine for like $45 a year since I do it automatically every year at the same time. And there are some games you do get free with it, which is pretty cool.

11. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Never buy your gold from XBlive, there are plenty of safe third party online retailers to buy your gold sub from and at a lot cheaper price, i am subbed up until 2019 for the grand price of £49 on gold deals over the last two month's, plenty of cheap deals to be found on the net for this, but apart from the odd Xblive deal, never buy your gold from MS, unless of course you get one of those targeted deal's some people have been getting of late on their dashboard, 40% off gold for a year coming in at £24.99, some xbox gamers over on the Hotdeal.uk site have been posting about them.

12. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I'll take a look at that. Thanks for the tip

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I was going to get an external hdd, then I remembered I have a 1TB ssd I wasn't using. So I went out and picked up a SATA to USB 3.0 cable and have that hooked up. So far everything seems to be working ok.

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Easily the best thing you can do is using an external drive, dependent on what games you have. I myself did a silly thing, and upgraded my internal 500gb drive to a 500gb ssd...But it's only sata2!!!!!!! :( My xbox didn't have a warranty anyway, so I didn't mind opening it up.

15. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Here's another thing I noticed. The internal hdd has about 380GB free. I have nothing installed on it. Why did Microsoft allocate so much space for the OS?

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Yeah that is not right, you should have 780 gig, as actuall disc space, if my maths are correct around 900 gig and never the 1th + 1000 or close, so take away as 120 gig for the OS, firmware updates and the likes, you should really be showing at least 780 gig, is this a new xbox?

Are you sure that this is not a 500gig xbox one, that space left is what a 500 gig HDD would have free funnily enough.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  17. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I have the 500GB model. According to a few post I read on Reddit, the free space is about right. Microsoft does allocate a large space for the OS.

18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Ah, i thought you bought the 1tb model, ha

Yeah about 120gig for the OS and other stuff, but the abilty to stick anything into the USB ports and use it for games of media is nice....have you tried any games yet, any 4k stuff, you are in for a treat with 4k movies, hell even 1080p br and old DVD's look fantastic on this.

19. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    No. I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet. I have Destiny and halo master chief collection downloaded. That's it for games as of right now. I may get halo 5 while I'm out today

20. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    Bought one a week ago just for Quantum Break, Gears Of War and Killer Instinct. Compared to the PS4 the interface is primative and slow. Massive lag navigating while installing a game.

I am afraid it will be sold as soon as I finish GOW4..