Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section
Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything AMD Catalyst related. Catalyst drivers are for all AMD based graphics cards and APUs.

RX480 blurry sleep/idle screen
Old
  (#1)
lucaz44

Videocard: XFX RX480 GTR Black 8GB
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600k
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68V-PRO
Memory: DDR3 12GB
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair 600W
Unhappy RX480 blurry sleep/idle screen - 01-11-2017, 22:02 | posts: 4

Hello everybody,
since driver 16.12.1 I begun to have a strange issue with my XFX RX480 GTR Black.
If computer enters in sleep/idle mode the image becomes white and blurry when I start using it.
I uninstalled/updated drivers and I reinstalled OS with no changes. (also used DDU)
The problem is very similar to this video: youtube. com/watch?v=rIzCUPA_Dv8

but in my case the monitor come back to normal after 2 second.

Anyone has this problem or similar?

Thank you in advance,

Last edited by lucaz44; 01-12-2017 at 11:36.

Old
  (#2)
lucaz44

Soundcard:
Default 01-20-2017, 16:04 | posts: 4

Still not fixed in 17.1.1 release

Old
  (#3)
A2Razor
Master Guru

Videocard: ASUS R9 Fury X
Processor: Xeon E5 1650 v3
Mainboard: ASROCK X99 WS
Memory: DDR4 2133 ECC / 64GB
Soundcard: SB ZxR, Logitech Z623
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000 P2
Default 01-20-2017, 16:13 | posts: 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucaz44 View Post
but in my case the monitor come back to normal after 2 second.

Anyone has this problem or similar?
--2 seconds is the default TDR period, so there's no surprise there timing wise. You probably have some record of this in the Windows Event-Log, if you want to check for a confirmation that it's a TDR. (which you're probably just not seeing while the screen is out)

Most likely the card is locking up on coming out of a low power state, Windows stops receiving any feedback from the device and issues a driver-reset. This seems to be pretty common on the new drivers for any cards that have the slightest bit of VRAM instability.

Have several friends who are experiencing this. Your best bet is to see if you can RMA honestly. (That's what the solution has been for them)

Old
  (#4)
Tree Dude
Master Guru

Videocard: Sapphire R9 270X 2GB
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.4Ghz
Mainboard: ASUS Z97-PRO GAMER
Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR3 1600
Soundcard: ALC1150 & GameCom 388
PSU: Corsair CX600
Default 01-20-2017, 17:01 | posts: 514 | Location: USA

AMD seems to really have trouble with Windows sleep states. A year or 2 ago there was a bug that when your monitor went to sleep it would not come back out of it till you rebooted. It took them over 6 months to fix it. I got so annoyed with it I set a screen saver instead, which I didn't like doing as I leave my PC on most of the time.

Old
  (#5)
lucaz44

Soundcard:
Default 01-20-2017, 21:40 | posts: 4

Thank you both for the reply.
I hope that it's not a VRAM issue as you've said; I've seen quite few people talking about this problem by now and this would mean that there are as many video cards with problems at VRAM.
It's a serious situation

Old
  (#6)
LIGuitar77
Master Guru

Videocard: ASUS 7790 2GB OC
Processor: Intel Xeon X3230
Mainboard: Intel DQ965MT
Memory: DDR2 PC2-5300 4 GB
Soundcard: MOTU Traveler fw
PSU: Corsair CX600
Default 01-22-2017, 12:53 | posts: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Dude View Post
AMD seems to really have trouble with Windows sleep states. A year or 2 ago there was a bug that when your monitor went to sleep it would not come back out of it till you rebooted. It took them over 6 months to fix it. I got so annoyed with it I set a screen saver instead, which I didn't like doing as I leave my PC on most of the time.
This happened to the people that routinely deleted or disabled the AMD External Events service. Normally before that, it could be done without this being affected. AMD made some change and that is when the issue started to be caused by users like myself that did not figure that out yet.

Ever since, I have not deleted or disabled the service. I am willing to bet that it can once again be done without ill effect.