GTX 780 freezes when going 3D

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Abilio_KID, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    As the title suggests, recently, when going fullscreen with a game or any GPU accelerated program, my PC started freezing. Sometimes the image would hang but anything in the background was still running (mainly the sound of music), other times everything would stop and I would have to do a hard reset.
    Only the image froze but, today, when watching an online video (browser with hardware acceleration) the PC simply crashed. Well, now I can't even login into Windows (7) as the image freezes just after the spinning logo.
    Booting into safe mode works 100%. Tried using DDU to remove the nVidia drivers and it booted fine (aka, with no drivers at all, like fresh).
    Seems to me the card is working but fails when going 3D. In safe mode I also tried pushing the CPU to the max with some rendering program and it never crashed. So I guess it's not the PSU.

The PC is the one you can see under my ugly face. And NO, I don't see the need to any upgrade as this machine has been great for what it is. I'm quite "short" on money right now so a new GFX is a problem. I still have and old ATI HD5870 so I'll be checking if the problem still happens with it (could be the PCIe slot or something).
    Regarding price, what could I buy (if I need to) to have a simmilar performance as the GTX 780 without selling an arm?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    First check your HD5870 to rule out if it's something else, I take you already tried different drivers?

It could also be that the PSU is dieing as it can't handle the power draw of the 780. That can probably be checked with using the HD5870 as well, as that one also draws a lot of juice.

Nowadays, a GTX1050ti performs like a GTX780ti, a RX470 outperforms it by a nice margin (source: http://www.***********.net/guides/2724-gtx-780-ti-benchmark-in-2016/page-2) so maybe a 1050 (non-ti) performs like standart 780

So if you were to replace it with a new card, it would depend on price of the day (1050ti or rx470)

3. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    Thanks for the reply.
    After switching PCIe slots (got 2 x16 and 1 x8) nothing works, that is, same problem: no hardware acceleration after Windows logo.
    So I found my old trusty HD5870 (1GB). Installed it, had to look for older ATI drivers from almost 2 years ago..., and all works as expected. Well, except the very bad performance, of course. Guess I'll have to look for something else.
    Sigh...

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Have you tried using MSI Afterburner to give the GPU core some extra vCore? See if you can stabilise it

5. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    I can't even enter Windows 7 desktop... only in safe mode or if no drivers are installed. The GFX had been working for over 2 years without an issue.
    (if you're refering to the 780, of course)

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea the 780, I suppose you could try editing the BIOS to raise the vCore, flash it in DOS

Kepler BIOS editor
    https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2566/kepler-bios-tweaker-v1-27

NVFLASH to pull the BIOS > Go back into windows with your other working GPU, edit the BIOS > Flash to 780
    http://www.trickmasterpc.com/flash-geforce-gtx-780-rom.html

Possible there are already modded BIOS's available for your card you could just flash

EDIT - Have you inspected the PCB of the 780 to see if there are any popped caps or fried components on it?

Testing that 780 in another machine would be good too to be 100% it is the card with the problem

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  7. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    Silly me, just checked the card's box (duh) and it refers "3 years limited warranty". I don't want to risk messing things even further by flashing it just yet though. I've opened a thread in the store's forum but I can only contact them tomorrow during the day (it's 10 PM here now). Don't know why I'd need to up the core if it has been like that for so long.
    The card is in mint state. Doesn't even have much dust as I had cleaned it some time ago (only removed the cover, nothing else). There's no heat issue either. It's cold here and I have checked temps after a few freezes.
    Hmm... I do have another PC to try out, altough the PSU is only 450W or so...

8. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    Ok, so I tested the card on a totally different PC... same thing as before: only works in safe mode. I'll have to try to RMA the damn thing.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Well, on the bright side, you'll get a shiny new GPU out of it

Brand new boxed you could get a lot more for it, maybe put towards a newer model if you were looking to upgrade at some point

10. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    Just to update this matter, I finally got the card back. Yes, it's the same card, no shiny new GPU. I had sent the card in its original box with all original accessories and they only returned the card in a simple box. Next time (if ever one will happen) I will only send the card itself.
    Cleaned all AMD leftovers from the HD5870 (that is still kicking and manages half of my old games), installed the GTX 780, tweaked it as usual, played some games, and all seems to be fine. Let's see, with time, if all goes well.
    Now... was hoping to update... hmm... maybe later.

11. JordanMihailov

JordanMihailov Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 780
    Drivers problem ?

12. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    Did you not read the entire post about this issue? The card's hardware got faulty (aka, didn't work anymore), even on another PC. Besides, like already said, they fixed the problem and it's working again.

13. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Well call them and tell them to send you the rest.

14. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    Did just that. They replied it was explicit in one email they sent me that I should not add any accessories to the box when sending the package. Basically, can't recover the original box nor it's accessories. "It's been recycled"...

15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Ah well. That's just bad luck. When I returned my 780 (same issues as you had), I packed everything in. I got sent a new 970 (sealed) as replacement.

I'm a bit amazed they still had a 780 lying around...

16. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    They didn't send me a "new" 780. They repaired mine. It has the same serial number and I can see they touched the screws in it. It must have been an easy fix for them.

17. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Well considering a GTX 950 was about equal to or a bit better than a 580, the 1050 is equal to a 680 and a ti version is about the middle between a 680 and a 780.

For him to upgrade to make it worth the money would have to be at least a 1070. A 1060 is equal to a gtx 980, which a 980 is equal to a 780 ti so there wouldn't be much to gain apart from vram.

Since the OP had his card fixed, anyone with a 700 series card that's tight on money I'd hold off until at least the next series (volta/1100 or whatever, depending on if they make a new architecture or just add onto pascal/maxwell).

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  18. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    Just out of curiosity (yeah, got the bug to investigate any miracle deal that may show up online), I just found a guy trying to sell a brand new Geforce GTX 1070 Zotac Amp Edition for 400€. Seems about 100€ less than any store I know of (for the 1070). He says he got it as a birthday present bought on another country. How will the warranty work under this situation and also how's Zotac's reputation on RMA and such?

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I think you dont need a bill for gpu registration its all on the box, but for example by me if I bought it locally I would have to return to store, then they to zotac.

Well if you know he's not a *f*r*a*u*d then it could be possible.
    Although in such case I would rather meet and see if its really sealed and unused.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  20. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Op what model Gtx 780 do you have? I am assuming its the evga acx model?