FreeSync broken since Crimson ReLive

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Australis, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Australis

Australis Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    https://community.amd.com/message/2767416

FreeSync has not been working since Crimson ReLive driver. :stewpid:

I posted on AMD Community but so far no solution was found.

Beside the old game Battlefield 2, FreeSync isn't activating at all. A Google search of "FreeSync broken" reveals a boatload of similar issues in the past.

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Is rebooting your PC fixes this?

3. Flano

Flano Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 FURY X 4GB HBM
    what the hell is this crap ? = "If the value varies, I know FreeSync is on. If the value is stuck at 60/ 120/ 144, or whatever you set as Windows default at all times, you know FreeSync is off."

I think you need to do some research buddy... works perfect here has been for several iterations since I think it was late 15 driver branch ... 15.X etc ?? come on dude!!

try every thing you can think of, displayport cable/(hdmi?) monitor settings, amd crimson "freesync on/off" monitor freesync setting, monitor RESET.. etc it will be somewhere.

4. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    To the above poster.

I am tired of seeing such rubbish posts in this section of the forums, to be honest. Device drivers or any software in general may or may not behave the same depending on different software/hardware configurations.

Meaning, that FreeSync might be working fine at your end. But at the OP's end, it probably isn't. And it's what AMD's driver bug tracker is for, to look into issues concerning different software/hardware configuration environments and iron them out.

This mentality of "Hurr durr it works on my end it should work on your end you just don't know it yet nub because you didn't fiddle with the settings enough" doesn't help anyone. OP clearly said that drivers prior to ReLive had FreeSync working for him, and he just used the monitor's refresh rate counter as just an example of how he could make certain that it is indeed working for him. You have a Fury X, which is GCN 1.2 and OP's card is a R9 290, which is GCN 1.1 and is known to have issues with the ReLive set of drivers. Before charging the OP by saying he's talking crap, maybe you should take that into consideration that there could be a legitimate issue?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016

5. Australis

Australis Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    No regrettably.

6. Australis

Australis Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    Thanks for defending my point. Your post also reminded me to update my RIG's stats on this forum. I'm using a Radeon RX 480 8GB, which replaced the dead R9 290.

7. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

Ill back you on his remark to OP.
    But I have 290x and freesync worked perfectly fine on ReLive drivers with modified 30-80hz and even doing 3440x140080hz on my 2560x1080 60hz panel.

He cant just blame Relive for freesync "not" working.
    Especially without even running windmill demo which has forced vsync now.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    No it doesn't have forced Vsync. That was wrongly reported.
    Windmill demo tells it like it is.

I think there are problems with FreeSync,
    because even me who games only casually lately has spotted FS not working on few occasions.
    In my case rebooting brings back FS.

Also... there is a difference between "a bug", and broken across every single hw/sw configuration and not working 100% of time.

9. Flano

Flano Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 FURY X 4GB HBM
    Op is obviously young underage retard and idiots like Romulus are going to say he has a valid point. I'm done posting on this forum. jolly good. its better to just absorb the information.

10. Flano

Flano Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 FURY X 4GB HBM
    Then you should stop posting.

11. Australis

Australis Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    I just rolled back to RS Crimson 16.11.5 Hotfix. Gratefully, FreeSync is BACK!

Guess I'm stuck with this just outdated driver suite.

I'm missing out on ReLive and AMD owes me one.

Bed time is long overdue. I'll catch you up later.

12. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    All I can suggest is the standard pitch to try installing the drivers again ensuring it's a clean install (so use DDU to wipe existing drivers), as far as I'm aware, the initial driver package had a few problems in general which have been fixed with the webinstaller.

If the problem persists after a clean install, then my advice is to bug report it.

Alternatively, you could actually install the relive suite while keeping the 16.11.5 driver - though I'm not sure how stable that'd be.

13. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    In every release of driver i see a thread ''freesync dont work''

But its actually works.

14. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    Hello OP, just a thought, i once had an issue with Plant vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2, and the problem was that i had Teamviewer on the background just sitting there on the task tray

You see TEAMVIEWER was using some kind of 3D rendering, and for some reason it dint make my 7950 go to full clocks.

Now what i mean is try to verify if you got any 3d activity that can break freesync with these games.

More or less try to disable ANY background prossess that you can verify it uses any 3d processing.

Good luck.

Ps: for the ´´its working fine on my pc´´ crowd, IF YOU DONT HAVE A SOLUTION OR A VALID SUGGESTION, stay away, you are not needed here.

15. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    AWESOME HELP MAN! you are truly a master guru.

16. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    That awkward moment when you call people underaged retard but you end up doing stuff like this:

These are the PMs I received from Flanos.

[​IMG]

Private message #1

[​IMG]

Private message #2

[​IMG]

Private message #3

[​IMG]

I am at a loss for words to be honest. :3eyes:

Apparently it's unanimous that there aren't any issues with FreeSync in the aforementioned drivers, is the only thing I could make out from the raged private message abuses. I am leaving the judgement up to you folks.
    :infinity:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  17. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Right or wrong - that is completely unacceptable behavior. Flano has been removed from these forums.

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    lol, this Flano guys is nuts.

Btw, Romulus you are not the angel yourself. Your last insults towards Agonist and me didnt get reported unlike poor Flano, lol.

19. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    Thank you. I appreciate it.

By all means, please, feel free to report if you find my post to be inappropriate. I think I overlooked the part where you referred to me as a hateful shrewd first. :infinity:

"Unlike poor flano, lol"

I guess you're actually backing him up now, shows the type of mentality you have.

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    To be honest person does not blow off off like that. Im sure you set him off somehow but you didnt tell/show us about that part, right?

You are just looking for trouble just like you are doing right now.