NV Graphics Driver causes mini-freezes when Apply/OK buttons are clicked and increase

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Espionage724, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

This is a weird issue and as of today I limited the cause down to the installation of NVIDIA graphics drivers (as in, I took a clean Windows 10 install, installed NV's graphics drivers, rebooted, and the problems began).

Say I go to a section in the classic control panel in Windows 10 and change a setting. If I click Apply or OK, the cursor freezes for about 1/3rd of a second, and then activity happens.

It also increases my loading times significantly from the Windows login screen to the desktop (0.5-1 sec without the driver, 5-6 seconds with the driver).

When I installed the driver, I chose the graphics driver, HD Audio driver, 3D Vision driver, and PhysX. I de-selected GeForce Experience. I'm using the 376.33 driver on an Optimus laptop. I removed all the NV-related telemetry startup services with Autoruns also (the freezing/delay was happening even with the services).

2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Well "freezes" / delays happen for everyone in Nvidia Control Panel, so that is nothing new. And im afraid there is no fix for such an issue.

Or you have Freezes outside of NVCP? Didnt get that.

3. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

The freezes are outside of NVCP. It's with most Ok/Apply buttons in various sections in the classic control panel in W10, but the one I test consistently with is toggling off some accessibility options (such as sticky keys under keyboard settings).

4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Well apparently it might be related to your clean install? Nvidia driver should not impact UI in any way, perhaps you have also intel integrated card? try updating it to latest driver.

Other then that, install all the updates / drivers.

5. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

It persists even after I install all drivers and updates. Latest Intel driver (both official latest and beta) don't make a difference it seems.

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    potential hard drive failure? Try increasing paging file

7. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    It's due to Nvidia Optimus, the delay of 1-2 seconds is because of the switch from integrated graphics to the dGPU. You should be able to reproduce the issue whenever you click on "Display" in the Metro settings menu and also when clicking the battery icon. If you are currently using your dGPU for anything then you shouldn't experience the freezes at all, it's only when it switches back and forth.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/860554/geforce-mobile-gpus/windows-10-and-optimus/1/

Check the last few pages, I posted a band-aid solution for the issue, one that Gigabyte released in one of their System Control Manager suites. Basically it forces an emptyproject11.exe file to run at startup which will always keep the dGPU in an online state to alleviate the mini freezes.

Battery life should be unaffected, as it is just kept online, but with 0% usage. It's the only solution I can come up with as Nvidia/Intel both blame the other side and are basically ignoring the issue. I believe it is some conflict between both sides and Windows 10, so MS should have some blame here as well.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  8. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Ah. I can't actually verify this at the moment (went back to Linux), but this does make sense. At some point yesterday the issue disappeared, but by this time, I had a few things set to auto-start that do use the NVIDIA dGPU. Thanks for the info though!

9. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Not a problem. This was driving me nuts on my new 1060 laptop. It's rather embarrassing how Nvidia simply ignores the issue.

For anyone that wants to use this solution, or If you ever go back to Windows and use Gigabytes band-aid solution make sure when you start up the laptop let Windows load everything that auto-starts before opening any programs like Chrome/Photoshop/Office etc.

Sometimes if you open other programs before the emptyproject11.exe program starts up it will bug out and cause each instance of itself to use 100% of a single core. Since there are two instances of the program forcing the GPU to always be available that will be 50% of your total CPU on an i5/i7 CPU. Still haven't figured out if there is a way to stop that

I've asked Gigabyte for information on their implementation of the EP11.exe solution, but so far they haven't replied with any info besides the generic "We will look into it and get back to you."

10. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    With the latest BIOS update from Gigabyte for the P57Wv6 (rev. FB0A) I no longer have the lag when the system switches from integrated to the dGPU. Even with the EP11.exe program running I would still get several hitches when first booting up while until the program got a full lock on the 1060.

As per usual, there is absolutely no documentation or any changelog provided for the BIOS update as to what it may have changed, but after 4 reboots it seems the problem is gone. Not going to mess with the EP11.exe fix in their Smart Manager program since it still sets itself up with a fresh install of that particular suite and it doesn't seem to negatively impact battery life.

OP: I guess hound your laptop manufacturer about the issue and point them to the thread here and on the official Geforce forums. Maybe they will be able to solve it as Gigabyte did.

11. bensmooth

bensmooth Member Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti Elite Rev2
    I had this issue with a freeze in control panel

And some how i fixed it by going into the control panel and disabling "Adjust video image settings- "use inverse telecine". Once i disabled that all latency and freezes were gone!

Try it.:pc1:

12. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    WOW disabling that did fix a big problem for me. Using a 550 ti with the new drivers i couldn't watch movies at qq in full screen i would get massive stuttering, etc. slowdown. but disabling that feature now i can watch it smooth with the new drivers. Thanks. :banana:

13. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Someone on the official Nvidia forums posted their chatlog with an MSI rep, and if true, Microsoft is aware of the issue and are implementing a fix.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...s/windows-10-and-optimus/14/?offset=222#reply

14. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I hope that fixes the freezes managing multiple displays in the cp as well, literally I have to kill the time reading other stuff every time I hit a checkbox, apply box, keep settings message box, so lame.

15. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    I have installed 15025 on my laptop and no change in the mouse cursor lag when the dGPU switches on and off, so MS still has yet to fix the issue, if it is in fact completely on them.

Starting to think it probably is on MS and something is currently wrong with how it handles the GPU in their consumer builds, as after installing the newest Insider Preview on both my desktop and laptop I have noticed several improvements.

PhysX performance is improved. With BL2 on Windows 8|8.1|10/10AU the performance could get absolutely abysmal and almost unplayable at times, on 15025 the game still slows down, but it is not near as frequent, and more manageable with framerate dropping but not tanking. Still not up to OG BL2 on Windows 7 with no game updates, but significantly improved.

My multi-monitor environment has a much better experience with moving items/windows between them. The transitions are smooth and do not stutter when moving anything between 3 monitors now.

No real downsides besides benchmark scores being down a bit which is expected with a beta OS, but game performance is generally improved. I saw no discernible difference with the new game mode turned on or off.

The issue some are having with the XBox Wireless Adapter and the Elite controller disconnecting and not being able to reconnect until either Steam is closed or a fresh reboot is still not fixed, doesn't affect many, but it is a very annoying problem. Some kind of conflict is going on with Steam|Windows|XInput. I would place blame on Steam implementing full-on complete controller support messing with how MS handles it.

A note on installing, I was greeted with an unresponsive black screen with beeping on mouse movement when doing an in-place upgrade on my laptop, so I ended up doing a fresh install instead of rolling back and doing another update.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017

16. bensmooth

bensmooth Member Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti Elite Rev2
    Try the latest build 15031

Try the latest build of windows 10 insider 15031 and see if it's any better

17. bensmooth

bensmooth Member Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti Elite Rev2
    No problem my guru friends

Yeah well i noticed this happen since drivers 370 branch. Any time ive installed newer driver set's on my gaming rig and home office rig which has a 660gtx ti , when i flick this off it runs smooth and CP is more responsive.

18. bensmooth

bensmooth Member Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti Elite Rev2
    Also id like to mention to check the newest windows 10 power options

In windows 10 new power options have been added to the list in branch 15025 right to branch 15031

Options are located by going to advanced power section:pc1: -

[​IMG]

19. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Not seeing those options on my laptop or desktop using Windows 10 15063. Were they removed?

The issue is still present on the newest 381.65 set on 15063.13. Disappointing to say the least.

20. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    did u enable iGPU from the mobo?