Delidded Core i7 7700K runs 26 Degrees C cooler

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    There have been several leaks already indicating that upcoming Kaby Lake processors CAN get quite warm. So some of you already have delidding in mind. Well, look no further as it's been done already...

Delidded Core i7 7700K runs 26 Degrees C cooler

2. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    This is your chance people. YOU can send a message to Intel and the motherboard mfg and not buy Kaby. Wait for Zen and see how it measures up. This isn't fanboy talk, it is consumer advocacy. If you think I sound like a AMD fanboy, read my comment history.

The power is in your hands folks!

3. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    That's pretty shocking to be honest.

Intel must use earth/mud as it's tim.

4. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    SSD_PRO, I assume you overclocked ZEN to 5GHz, right?
    If no, ZEN please keep your offers private.

Regarding Kaby Lake - I don't justify Intel's choice of TIM, but it shows what a huge potential lies in their CPUs, so if they really need, they will instantly release something which will trump ZEN.

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Either that individual CPU was flawed or the years of no competition have degraded the Intel folks into utter incompetents.

6. The genius who came up with this result used an old 6 pipe Thermalright air cooler before delidding. And then used Coollab Liquid Ultra with a Kraken X62 afterwards.

5Ghz with some random air cooler, great idea!

Link to the Anandtech thread

7. reeven

reeven Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX280 750/1450/3000
    i do not care of this i7, i want ZEN. After ZEN we will see 300$ i7 8/16 core...till then i will not update to an intel quad core in 2017. Its octacore time.

8. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I bet after zen's release they start soldering and giving better performance across the board. The only reason they did this in he first place is it's the only way to make more other than increase prices they already have the entire market.

9. Enticles

Enticles Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070ti
    there is absolutely no way that a simple TIM change between the die and IHS reduces temps by 26c. Something else is going on here that has caused an exaggeration of the results.

It would be ludicrous to think that Intel would change their TIM to a significantly lesser quality TIM in just 1 architectural update. LinusTechTips did a de-lid & test video on a 6700k and found it dropped their temps by less than 5c overall. those results are fabricated.

10. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Temps in my 3770k dropped by around 10 degrees after my de-lid.

11. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    Wasn't there similar results with Ivy? When I had my 3570k I read delidding had a pretty big affect, but as I suffer from MS it wasn't something I could safely do.

Edit:

Ah OK that answers my question, so nowhere near the same.

12. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    When I delid my 3570K I saw a temp reduction of 23C These kinds of results are possible.

He also used an old Heatsink on the 7700K then after the delid he used a very good aio cooler on, so his results are skewed a bit, however it is possible to get great temp reductions with a delid.

Think I also saw a 12C temp reduction on my 4770K under single stage, not sure about air, never really used this CPU on air much before I delid it.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    26 seems really high - I got 14c off my 3770K and I completely removed the IHS.

Also want to point out that the quality of the TIM has little to do with the temps being lower. It's the gap caused by the glue that holds the IHS down.

14. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    If that's true it is completely unacceptable on the part of Intel... just lazy engineering.

15. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    See below:

(Also fanboyism kills the joy of everything).

16. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    How do you prevent the Sandy Bridge "disaster" from happening again? You prevent people from overclocking by making your chip cook itself. People will then be forced to buy the same CPU with just a slight refresh every year.

Thank you Intel for caring about your customers. We will be remembering this.

17. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    any old thermalright is still quite competent, but it seems youre incorrect? the thread itself stated he used the thermalright for the chip under stock speeds, & then says
    anyway, theres no way load temp delta changes that much unless 1) improper initial mount or 2) literally defective/warped heatspreader

::edit::

yeah i just reread his soup-sandwich-tier posts - he used a corsair h110i set to low, & his temps were out of control (nearing 100) trying to get near 5ghz. after mounting the kraken he still reported insane temps...until delid, so it kind of sounds like a warped heatspreader that wasnt coming into proper contact with the core tbh

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    He starts off with the Air Cooler, then buys the AIO water cooler still hits 96c - THEN he delids it, then it goes to ~66. All of the testing was at roughly ~5Ghz.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  19. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    If you look at the pictures you can see that the TIM layer was really thick in the stock configuration, I think that would have caused his high temperatures - I just think that unit was badly prepped in the factory. I'm sure delidding helped, but I think he got a duff TIM job from the factory in the first place.

20. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Thats great and all, but honestly, most people will not need octocore at all. Its great that they are available, but its totally overkill, even for gaming.

I'd much prefer to have a solid quad core with higher single core performance than 8 cores of weaker performance, right? I dunno, the whole "i have so many cores" argument isn't provocative to me.