Mackie CR3 or CR4 for desktop gaming ?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by jinxjx, Dec 12, 2016.

1. jinxjx

jinxjx Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD-MSI 260x 2gb
    Hi everyone, my logitech z560s finally gave up after 13yrs. Been reading about the 2.0 and 2.1 speakers thats available. Then came across the mackies. Can these be used for gaming and alittle music listening? Will it have bass but not boomy/muddy like the logitechs? And do i only have to order the mackies with no other componets as in plug and play sort of ? heres the link to mackies......thanks guys

https://www.amazon.com/Mackie-CR-CR...ncoding=UTF8&refRID=PQW2R2W1JS6ENSRCC3G6&th=1

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Best place to know for sure is from people who have them. There are 948 consumer reviews currently on the item link you gave :). In terms of the bass, 80 Hz isn't that low, but it's all about compromise.

3. jinxjx

jinxjx Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD-MSI 260x 2gb
    oh yea i see what you mean about the frequency response....thanx

4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

5. jinxjx

jinxjx Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD-MSI 260x 2gb
  6. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

What I've read few reviews still not sure if I would choose them, I would probably go with above Micca PB42X or maybe Edifier R1700BT there, they looks bit more premium and should sound bit better

R1280T are not bad, but still they don't sound best for money which you can buy in $100-$150 range I still would check yours local Craiglist or ebay for used KRK, Genlec or Yamaha

I paid myself £150 for Yamaha NS-10M and I use them as my main monitoring speakers when I do music, like my friend said, if music sound good on NS-10M then music will sound good on "any" speakers

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Might go for a pair of these: JBL LSR305 Studio Monitor. Heard em in a store and just about blew me away.

http://noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR305/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPw6f7F6A_4

Only issue for me is space, not so much the physical size of the speakers but that they need room from the back for the rear bass port. Means I would have to pull my desk away from the wall a little. But... seriously considering it!

8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I have a pair of Mackies CR4 w/o BT.
    They are excellent monitors for home studio mixing while also being good for music, movies and games.
    I have a pair of Edifiers R1900 too, the Mackies deliver wider sound by not being scoped as much as the Edifiers, the Edifiers deliver more bass and are louder but also sound a bit muffled, yet better than anything Logitech (not sure about z906, didn't get a chance to listen to them yet) /Creative and even them crappy expensive grey BOSE PC speakers.

If you want something professional for mixing but also a lot more neutral you should go for Yamaha HS 7 or HS 8 instead (YAMAHA is still the king of reference studio monitors), but like with the NS-10M's you should be prepared to hear every error that usually are hidden on both Hi-Fi as common PC speakers, hence why they aren't the best option for listening to music, watching movies and playing games, they are purely made for the mastering, some people like to hear it all while others find it harsh.

Then again, if you got the budget and only want them for music/movies/games go for a good Hi-Fi stereo amp and speakers and not anything already mentioned in this thread.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  9. TheWahoo

TheWahoo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080 Hybrid
    You didn't specify a budget so on the chance that your decision is more based on size and performance, I'd recommend the Vanatoo T1s (https://www.amazon.com/Vanatoo-Transparent-One-Powered-Speakers/dp/B0080K2KUK). They're more expensive than the Mackies but they're really on another level of sound quality. And as far as low-end is concerned, I don't know of any other bookshelf class speaker that comes close; clean, tight bass down to 48Hz.

When I was looking to step up from the Creative T20s that I'd been using for years, the decision was easy as soon as I heard the Vanatoos. I highly recommend considering them if they fit within your budget.

10. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I have the CR3s and they are great cheap pair of studio monitors. I only use them for a guitar output but have tried them for gaming and they are just OK. Would probably look at something a little more for gaming. But music sounds pretty good.

Edit: my comparison for gaming are the Logitech z5300 so it could be I'm just so used to those but to me the Mackie's just didn't cut it for me for gaming

11. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Your going to get a flat response. Macie makes mixers and now speakers or monitors as DAW pro's call it. Youll need to go to your EQ and tweak the sound, gl

12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    JBL LSR 305 are also worth to checkout.
    That's a lot of monitor for it's price.

13. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Or grab a Klipsch 2.1 Pro Media for a low price. FYI, they make speakers for movie theathres so its quality stuff. The mids are perfect,, the highs aren't too high, and the bass is pretty good kick. gl

14. CoolChris001

CoolChris001 Guest