Is 16x AF necessary at 4k or higher resolutions?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Dburgo, Dec 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

16AF on.
    [​IMG]
    16AF off
    [​IMG]
    6k resolution at Ultra
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2016
  2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    To answer your question. Yes.

3. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

your entitled to your opinion. I dont see anything. The clouds are darker because of realtime weather, notice the drone has moved.. I dont see anything on the tent, lines in the road, or the cement barrier i pushed the driver side of the car into so the pic wouldnt move, OR the people; that really makes a difference as a better image. Can you point it out to me?

I do see as i stated clearly in the thread that got closed because I know what I am talking about, and no one wanted to reason with me, or has their own doubts, or whatever, but basically, I'm not wrong. lol the thread is called what are your AA settings, and I reported info and my findings on BOTH. To be trolled by ... nevermind.. and this is subject to almost anal probing to find a big difference here.. Where is the magical filter increasing clarity or detail?!?!? YOU DONT SEE IT AT HIGHER RESOLUTIONS. Lower res, there is a bigger difference and I agree whole heartedly it is great to have it on becuase it DOES give smaller performance losses. Here at 6k resolution, I lost 4 fps. For NOTHING.

Whats funny here is, I actually see confetti and drones that arent there in the 16xAF photo.. whered they go? Or why wasnt it there? I dont have any dynamic stuff set on.. Interesting.

4. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Yes, 16xAF is required in basically every other game than FH3. The NVCP AF settings don't do anything at any resolution. I found this by testing for multiple hours. 16xAF from the NVCP versus almost any in game setting will be miles better, just don't use FH3 to judge. Try GTAV, JC3, TW3, F4 or any game that actually responds to the NVCP and *then* compare the screenshots.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    probably cause drones and confetti happen radomly and arnt static... Use static pictures anyway.

AF 16x in skyrim with built in vs AF16 from NVCP there is huge diffrence if fact i would say AF didnt even work in the game. In game AF in my experience is horrid. in some cases AF in game dont even work which is why I have AF set to 16x in global.

I sure dont see any AF in either those pictures either, so IF thats ingame AF its broke, and if it threw the nvcp it broke for that game, AF even @ 4x is highly visible.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  6. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

The same thing happens in Pcars, f1 2016, COD as well. I am not gonna sit here and upload pics all nite to everyone nay saying, lol I am an expert marksman in the US Army, I'm pretty sure with all of my testing done tri-annually my vision is pretty darn good.. I also can see where people dont have a clue as well... I just did the same thing in NCP for 2 of my other games and I dont see anything you guys are chiming on about. I certainly am not sorting through posts with other people agreeing the difference is negligible. If this were a case to be proven, so far, I am the only one coming up with real examples of Ultra HD scenarios, and all I've seen is a small group of people who rather naysay than anything else.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    if your so "sure" why you asking what other think and ignoring it..

Like I said AF is not on in either those images

AF ON
    [​IMG]

AF Off
    [​IMG]

You can plainly see AF is working on first picture cause the road in the distance is NOT blurry like it is in second. and those are @4k and if you dont see diffrence in the road I suggest your eye are not as good as you think they are. but like I said if your so sure you would never asked and defend that dont mater when you were told other wise. and I provided proof to that end. AF is needed even in 4k and higher

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

AF helps with viewing textures at an angle. This typically means textures more distance from the viewer will be clearer and sharper with AF than without. With viewing at 4K, you could argue that 16x AF is more important, because you are viewing the image in a high resolution. Buy having a higher resolution, you are just having a higher resolution, but not clarity, of that texture at an angle. Of course in game quality settings also play a big part. No point IMO going to 4K if you have to reduce in game settings, particularly those that actually affect the visual quality (sometimes for some things going from very high to ultra may may no difference to the actual quality of the picture whilst inflicting a performance penalty) to compensate for performance loss of the higher resolution.

As tsunami231 pointed out there is a difference. No point having a higher resolution blur! There are actually a whole heap of better examples than he gave. I believe the first image isn't 16x AF if it is turned on/off in the game, it's probably only 4x. Realistically it should always be on at 16x (or maybe higher if available, although it is a case of diminishing returns) in games and in the driver, since it has little performance impact. Not even sure why it is an option to disable it now!

9. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

hey what were your fps in each? I'm sorry, but the difference is barely noticeable. I'm interested in those frames and what your performance loss is if any for you. How many frames did you lose so a few rocks looked a little bumpier? I'd really like to get to the bottom of this now. Is this on a true 4k display with hdmi 2.0 cabling, or display port connection? Obviously when your frames are much higher than 60 fps adding AA/AF, if it shows a better picture is a no brainer. But your photos here IMO show barely any discernible difference. :)

10. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    in my experience AF settings have a negligible impact on performance, have never thought of disabling it, and your screenshots show 4fps difference, probably a rounding error

and if that's forza 3 then yea that's the kind of game that you can expect to show all kind of weird behavior, far from the norm

11. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP

[​IMG]

All af does is correct a blur like distortion that occurs when rendering a textured angled surface, if it bothers you turn it up, if it doesn't turn it down.

also I think it is rather disingenuous to say 6k res and that it makes no difference when your screenshots are 1600x900.

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yeah the image wasn't the best example, and as I mentioned it seems to be only maybe 4x AF in the first image. Most AF comparisons are for older games, simply because the argument has been around a long time.

Here's on for Watch Dogs:
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014...formance_image_quality_review/12#.WEzkUrA9WUk

Look at the bottom section covering AF. The difference is obvious!

If the blur at an angle doesn't bother you, then WTF insist on 4k ;).

13. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

sigh.. so then what would the point of HDR be? I am sitting here looking at Pcars at 4k native, I started a track with 16x AF enabled in NCP. put the game on trilinear. took a photo. Turned off the game and changed it back to application setting. kept it at trilinear. took a photo. Then came back in game and put it back on 4x. took a picture.. The difference for nearly 10 fps difference is as I stated before, nominal. I'll post them to my google drive and share them, I am not uploading them and reposting as I rather be playing a game.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6plP5CB1zgBcmFmVWRMdlVxTkE?usp=sharing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

Not sure if Nvidia's screen capture does it, as I set it to maximum values, or the website that hosts the image for free.. Probably the latter as I have already destroyed the images I took and never maximized the window to compare. These images in my last link are exact and uploaded to google drive, this time capturing with AB.

15. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

Also. here is an idea. so we can directly compare image quality. Someone boot up Pcars and set your image 16xAF everything ultra 4k and tell me your other settings, I'll post mine without 16af and everything else the same, and with. Maybe then we have apples to apples comparison. Set the track to california highway, and choose umm, I dont know formula 1000 car and set to view of steering wheel, not helmet cam so we get more display of an actual driving scenario. If your up for it, we can end this debate.

16. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Here is an animated example of AF off, 2x, 4x, 16x at 1440p

[​IMG]

As with any setting diminishing returns occur with higher settings.

I hope this is satisfactory in demonstrating the benefits of AF.

17. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

Hey, thank you for your time in creating that. But, what I am trying to prove here is the relevance in newer games with higher res textures, and above 4k resolutions. At lower res, it is a tool to use to improve visual quality, that has real visual benefits for the loss in performance. I never argued that point.

18. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    just keep in mind that was captured on a 560m and i lost a whooping 2 fps (dropping from 31 to 29) by setting it to 16x performance in nvcp.

19. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

how much would you lose at 4k or 6k? See my point..? This whole thread is to find out how those AF settings diminish at higher res, and the fps losses you take minimal return in image quality. I rather leave it off, and use AA settings as they give a better result in image fidelity for the fps losses. The whole point, is how to use up your gfx cards ability to stay over 60fps with the best visual image in mind. The gains for me with on average, 4-10 fps loss isnt worth that stupid filter at higher resolutions. I dont have a game that really makes me say, WOW! What a difference! I cant live without it! Now, if I was playing at lower res, OF COURSE YOU NEED IT! Your photos prove that, as everyone elses experience with it. The cliffside looks slightly more detailed in the pics I have on google drive and the yellow lines appear slightly sharper in the distance, but slightly. And I dont know about you guys, but while driving by the seat of your pants, your not gonna see the difference. Or in most fast paced first person shooters. but you will notice your drops in fps if your dropping down under 60 fps for nothing that you even see. Thats my point, that everyone is crawling on the ceilings about and I seriously cant see why. I want results like you have with the settings on, but it doesnt happen. So in most games, its useless to me.

20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

But you wouldn't be playing on a GTX 560m at 4k :). Also the newer cards handle AF better. If you want the advantage of playing at 4k the argument is completely swayed to having 16x AF enabled. It won't make the difference between being playable and unplayable even at those resolutions. If you really must recover performance, you should look at adjusting other settings first. For many things (depending on games and settings) the highest settings can often be considered placebo. Reducing these to the next lower level can actually achieve noticeable FPS increases. Sometimes settings can have a huge impact visually and provide very little in FPS difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.