thinking of buying oculus rift or htc vive or any VR headset

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by W@w@Y, Dec 10, 2016.

1. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    So I have an issue with my PC at home where I have limited time to use my PC
    thing is, wife wants to all lights off (including PC, including the light from the monitor switch) by 930PM

I live in a studio so yep, nowhere to go for the PC
    I tried covering with blanket etc but that does not work somehow for me (plus its warm)

Imagine this. I work Monday to Friday, come home maybe 8PM, eat dinner with family and of course some family time. SO weekdays is basically no PC at all (which is frustrating given I spent a lot on this hardware, including early this year, a few hundred bucks on a Dell 2715 which is a lovely monitor)

So only weekdays is available for PC gaming, maybe 2-3 hours max since I spend time with family most of the time (which I love to do, but I still want to use my PC from time to time). Sundays no PC since thats mountain biking day in the morning and family time in the afternoon

So I was thinking if an VR headset would solve my problems (an upgrade to a GTX1080 if its needed due to my 970 being probably weak for VR can be considered)

Things I want the VR headset to be

1. for watching movies, surfing web
    2. Cities skylines (yep thats pretty much the game I play these days)
    3. OPen to other games as well

Your inputs are appreciatesd

2. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    the HMD isint a monitor replacement as the resolution is too low, i.e. crappy for browsing. Playing non VR games in VR is pretty much a hack, you can do it in Steam, YMMV and i never bothered trying as its kinda missing the point. VR games however are brilliant.
    I dont like watching movies in the Rift because of the glare effect from the lenses, should be better with the Vive, wasnt an issue with the old DK2.

I would consider a VR HMD as an extension of a fully functional PC( i.e. with monitor and ability to go from HMD back to monitor etc ) and not a monitor replacement.

I would only do what youre thinking of doing if youre interested in VR games, normal games with VR support like Elite, Project Cars, Euro/American Truck Sim are fantastic in VR and you can spend hours upon hours in them. Then theres the VR only games which use hand tracking etc. which is also brilliant.

A 970 should be good enough to start with, the rift as Asynchrounous Time/Space Warp which makes looking around run at 90FPS while the game itself will run at whatever FPS the card can push. Steam currently only supports ATW, the difference is ASW also does head position whereas ATW just does head angle, i.e. ASW works if you move your head around in 3d space, ATW works if yoou look around

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Buy the wife a night mask

[​IMG]

Personally I'd go for the Vive

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    VR headsets are not a good desktop replacement, the res is too low.
    But you can get by on one.
    You will need in ear headphones if the room must be silent and you had better use it seated because you will make a noise when moving.

The Rift looks a lot better/nicer than the Vive and is nicer to wear. The Vive is too heavy and uncomfortable.
    Now that Touch is out Rift also has the better controllers.

I returned my Vive because theres too much wrong with the image, blurry streaky and rings. I didnt want to use it.
    This was after seeing a Rift so I hoped it would be quite close.
    Since then I tried the Rift a few more times to be sure and it is much better, easily good enough. I really looked forward to using it.

So I have bought a Rift now.

5. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Tried this before, it doesnt work for her :wanker::wanker::wanker:

I thought the rift had high resolution? How bad is it as desktop use (i.e. reading sites like guru3d)?

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Each eye sees 1200x1080 x,y res.
    That is the overall res but 3D.

This doesnt sound that bad until you consider it is stretched across your whole vision which your monitor screen is not.
    The equivalent focused res is probably 1/2 to 1/3 of the x,y dimensions.
    But there are some streaks as well.
    The Vive is worse because it is zoomed more (looks even lower res), has more streaks and you can see lense rings. Oh the focused area is smaller as well!

You can read ok if close/zoomed enough and dont mind scrolling more.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    That was funny :D. If you are still looking at similar options, how about foldable partitions or room dividers?:

[​IMG]

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    A tent!

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I'm going to go back on this a bit.
    The Vive was terrible for reading web pages but I just tried it on the Rift and its pretty acceptable. I could put up with it if I had to.
    And thats just with the default desktop app.
    So it could be good with the Firefox method linked above.

Got too much else to do atm to test for you soz.
    Only got my Rift over the weekend.