xbox 360 gamepad - wired vs wireless mode

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by LuckyNumber8, Dec 9, 2016.

1. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    Xbox 360 gamepad wired vs wireless mode

Hi guys, when I bought xbox 360 console I felt right away that included wireless gamepad had some lag issues. Most people who played on my xbox 360 didnt noticed that lag issue, but I have spend years playing on xbox classic or ps2 consoles (basically playing on wired gamepads) and I knew something was not right. But the thing is, because I was playing games on PC mostly with that gamepad (at 60fps or even higer fps), that lag issue was not as big problem as in 30fps console games on xbox 360, so I didnt bothered with that lag issue till now.

Few days ago I have revisited some old xbox classic games, and that console has wired gamepad. I played halo 2 on xbox 360 and on xbox classic, the same game, just the different consoles. Aiming on xbox 360 console felt different (“heavy” feeling during aiming) and game was harder to play, while on xbox classic aiming was more responsive and game was much easier. So I thought maybe it has something to do with cables (xbox classic game has wired gamepad) and I bought "play and charge" cable to my xbox 360 gamepad :).

Guess what ? It helped, and I'm shocked how HUGE difference in lag reduction that cable made :). Now halo 2 is much more playable on xbox xbox 360 (with "play and charge" cable), there's no longer that "weight" feeling, and the the thing is, that cable works also on PC, so even playing PC games are easier now (and I even see improvement in 60 fps games!)

I just wonder how it's possible that microsoft never noticed that lag issue? From now on I'will be playing all games with "play and charge" cable because the difference is to big for me :(.

EDIT - It turns out, that wireless connection on xbox 360 gamepad is not to blame (because that cable transfer only power, not data), but the thing is, that wireless connection works much, MUCH BETTER if you power 360 gamepad with "play and charge cable", and lags with batteries. I dont know why that happen, but maybe 360 gamepad is using some energy saving methods in order to extend battery life (maybe even constantly adjusting pooling rate).

EDIT 2 - Today I bought wired 360 gamepad because this play and charge power cable was problematic and I also heard that wireless 360 controllers have an additional 8ms latency compared to wired. I'm blown away, because thumbstick response is even better on that one (compared to the wireless 360 controler with play and charge cable). It's unbelievable how different the same game feels now (halo 3 for example), it was better on standard 360 controler with play and charge cable, but it's perfect on wired gamepad!

To sum it up, standard wireless 360 gamepad has HUGE input lag (although it can be improved with play and charge cable). That lag it's hard to notice if you just press buttons (and it's not like you will push button and see delayed response on TV), but you will FEEL that change during fast and precise movements. I can feel this "weight" and "floating feeling" on wireless gamepad and very precise and instant movements on wired one. I'm so happy right now :), and I highly recommend getting that wired xbox 360 gamepad. Test it for yourself guys and post your impressions :)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  2. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Your "Return" key broken?

3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I hate to break this to you but the charge and play cable is not a data cable, it is purely to charge the pack, you are still playing via wireless when it is plugged in. lol

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm going to give you a warning on this post. This was just uncalled for.

On topic now, most wireless controllers do have some sort of input lag. Only one I've seen that doesn't recently is probably the Dual Shock 4.

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    this!

6. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    I have no batteries inside while playing, so without any doubts that "play and charge" cable not only powers 360 gamepad but also sends data to PC and console.

Interesting. That ps4 gamepad works on PC without problems in all games like 360 gamepad? I have to test that gamepad

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    So , are you using the wireless receiver on the pc ?

8. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    Right, I forgot to turn off xbox wireless receiver on my PC :). With receiver unplugged gamepad doesn't work anymore. But the most important thing is, THE DIFFERENCE IN INPUT LAG IS STILL THERE because when I'm using that cable there's no lag, and when I will use batteries there's HUGE lag.

I'm using "xpadder" on PC, and that application can emulate mouse on gamepad thumbsticks. Thanks to this program I'm using my 360 gamepad as mouse pointer when I play on my HDTV, and I just cant belive how much easier it is to navigate with thumbsticks now, with batteries that pointer wasnt that responsive (pointer movement felt like underwater movement, if you know what I mean).

OK wireless transmision was not to blame as I tought, so I quess it has something to do with batteries themselves. For example maybe xbox 360 gamepad is compressing data (or use use some energy saving methods) in order to prolong battery life, and who knows, maybe these methods are to blame. Anyway I'm really happy with how xbox 360 gamepad works now, games are so much easier and more fun to play with more responsive thumbsitcks and not only in PC games, but also xbox 360 console games. Before I was playing halo 2 on xbox classic because of this lag issue, but now this game feels the same on xbox 360 :)

9. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    If wireless is actually used and the cable only provides power and no data from gamepag to PC...I call it placebo.

A good one. :)

10. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I used to have a wired 360 pad before moving to a wireless one, and its just the same :)

11. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    In halo 2 I'm struggeling to aim with batteries, and with "play and charge" cable I'm not because analog thumbsticks are so more responsive. I dont care why batteries adds input lag (probably for energy saving reasons), but for me that lag is a fact and I would never call it a placebo (I'm using CRT with 0 lag at all and I can really feel the difference).

As I have found out, some poeple on YT also noticed that 360 gamepad lag

So other people also notice that input lag problem

Average people also say, that 40ms HDTV is perfectly fine for them. But I have 40ms HDTV and I cant play on that! It's far better on my 16ms plasma HDTV but still I can feel the difference when I will use CRT with zero lag. I have noticed, that on CRT and with wired gamepad I can really enjoy 30fps games, while on LCD with 40ms input lag and 360 gamepad (with batteries on top of that) the same game feels unplayable with 30fps because it's just not responsive.

Guys, if you can, please do some test for yourself (on gaming monitor with low input preferably). Just use 360 gamepad and play some FPS game that requires analog thumbstick movements. After one minute replace batteries and plug "play and charge cable" :). For me that difference is just HUGE, and one of guys that I have quoted use perfect term to describe it "floating feeling" (this is exactly what I feel)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  12. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I use the 360 wireless when i am playing on steam via big pictures, never had any kind of lag, and that is on a 60in plasma, been playing the rematered Skyrim on this with my old trusty 360 controller, no issues....plus i have also been trying to get through the MC collection on the XB1, fantastic remaster of that game.

Do you have another xbox 360 controller to try and see if the controller is faulty, how are you powering the controller without the charge cable, battery or a charge pack, where did you buy the xbox 360 from, was it new or second hand, what type of tv are you playing it on, have you tried another HDMI cable.....lot's of thing to try and see what might be causing that lag.

13. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    On console I'm using CRT TV (scart RGB cable connection), and CRT monitor (VGA cable connection). For my all HDTV's (I have 3x in my house ranging from 16ms on plasma, to 22ms and 40ms on LCD) and PC monitor I'm using HDMI. But no matter what display I will use, I can easly feel that lag on all of them.

Speaking about controlers, I have 2x original xbox 360 gamepads and I got the first one for PC long before I bought xbox 360 console. Both gamepads works the same on my 360 console and on my PC. I'm using charge pack and normal batteries and results are also the same. WHEN I PLUG "play and charge" cable, gamepad response is much, much better(on both PC and xbox 360 console) in the same second, so I dont need to blame my display, console, because I already know that problem has something to do with batteries (as I said before, maybe because of energy saving calculations).

There's a reason why I'm 100% sure it's not placebo. I can play with batteries and get a feeling of analog stick (aiming in halo 2 is hard), and next you plug that cable and gamepad responsiveness change in the same second (and aiming in the same game is much easier!). I grow up playing on CRT and wired gamepads, and for me that difference is big (because it change gameplay directly, especially in 30 fps games) but I think casual player can easly get used to that lag, especially if you play games at 60fps on PC. Most people now are get used to playing on HDTV's with 30-50ms lag and use 360 game pad with batteries on top of that, so I dont blame you if cant tell the difference :).

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The play and charge kit for the 360 controller does not transfer data. You still have the wireless adapter plugged in.

The Xbox one controller transfers data and power. I do recommend that controller, million times better than ghe 360 controller!

And I do believe the ds4 is seen as dinput same as the Xbox controllers.

15. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    Even if "play and charge" cable doesn't transfer data, it fixed that lag and "floating feeling" issue that bothered me, so it works :).

To sum it up, wireless connection on xbox 360 gamepad response is MUCH BETTER if you power it with cable, and it lags with batteries (maybe because of energy savings calculations).

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I suppose it's possible there is more power being pulled from a USB socket than from batteries, but surely batteries have more than enough to match it.

17. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    My guess is it has something to do with energy saving.
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1592339
    Here for example user Brod wrote, that wireless 360 controllers have an additional 8ms latency compared to wired. Maybe in order to prolong battery life gamepad is not using best possible pooling rate?

Anyway that cable works like miracle and I'm not going to play with battery from now on, the difference is just too big for me, and it makes aiming much easier and fun at the same time (especially 30fps games), so I'm really happy now :).

18. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    lol? If not called for this, then when...? Srsly...

Whos gonna/wanna read a wall of text without line breaks!?

19. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    Thanks, I will edit my first post :).

20. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    major update Today I bought wired 360 gamepad because this play and charge power cable was problematic and I also heard that wireless 360 controllers have an additional 8ms latency compared to the wired one. I'm blown away, because thumbstick response is even better on that one (compared to the wireless 360 controler with play and charge cable). It's unbelievable how different the same game feels now (especially fps games halo), it was better on standard 360 controler with play and charge cable, but it's perfect only on wired gamepad!

To sum it up, standard wireless 360 gamepad has HUGE input lag (although it can be improved with play and charge cable). That lag it's hard to notice if you just press buttons (and it's not like you will push button and your eyes will see delayed response on TV), but you will FEEL that change during fast and precise movements.

On PC you can play games at 60fps and 144fps and although your eyes will not see the difference, YOUR MIND CAN EASILY FEEL THAT DIFFERENCE during movement (with good controller like gaming mouse). 144fps is more responsive and fun to play. The same happens with xbox 360 controller. Standard wireless gamepad has lag, but it's not big enough for your eyes to notice it :), but your mind will feel this "weight" and "floating feeling" during motion. On wireless gamepad I cant do the same precise and instant movements as on wired one, and especialy during initial thumbstick movement. The difference is so big, that it change gameplay of entire game! I highly recommend getting that wired xbox 360 gamepad. Test it for yourself guys and post your impressions.