Denuvo Protection under fire - Gets Removed From Doom

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Well isnt that smart. I mean your games has been cracked and you are still paying for the protection.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  3. David3k

David3k Member Guru

GPU:
    Graphics Processing Unit
  4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I'm more interested in a new benchmark, to see if Denuvo affects performance or not. Now there's no Denuvo in the game, does it run faster?

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Idk, lets get back into the game and find out. ;)

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I can't spot a difference. But I didn't benchmark it. If it runs with 170FPS now instead of 140, I would have no idea. I play with vsync (120Hz/120FPS).

And I can't downgrade the game back to the previous version either.

If someone who did bench it previously does bench it again now, and it turns out there's a difference, I would expect that to be major news.

8. mattm4

mattm4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6900xt
    I'm not sure what method Denuvo uses to prevent cracking. But I feel after a certain amount of time, anything can be cracked, in this sense. But if it just now happened, I guess it was worth it, to keep sales up, up until it gets cracked.

9. VENGEANCE

VENGEANCE Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1070 HOF @2164
    fck this idea of paying for games when they just get cracked...payed a fortune for my doom collectors edition

10. mattm4

mattm4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6900xt

Lol, I got it for like $40 the second day it was out on g2a.com

Correction payed $37 for it.

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    You're support the developer by paying for the game. I support ID, and Bethesda so I was more than glad to pay for the game.

12. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Could it be that he or she*is color blind ???

13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Denuvo is trying to obfuscate the DRM (Steam, Origin etc), so that crackers can't "touch" it, or see how it's working with a specific title (for each one it's a bit different). It also contains triggers with server authentication on top. It's not DRM really, but a DRM protection system.

Faggotry (and I don't mean the homosexual kind) like this has lead us to things like Denuvo. If you like a developer and a game and you can afford it, buy it.

14. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I agree. It's the release week when game gonna be played the most and sales gonna be the highest.
    Game is being hyped over media and your only choice to play it, is to pay for it.

Hype is long gone now, it's just patient gamers who want to play Doom might pirate it at this stage, which is not really a lot.

15. kinggavin

kinggavin Guest

GPU:
    gtx 980TI super jetstream
    i only buy games from gog nowadays i prefer older games with mods and drm free no internet connection needed to play, as far as drm and pirates if your on windows 10 microsoft know if its a pirate version and probably nvidia drivers data collection will know if its a pirate version aswell so why even bother pirate it, games like dota mmo,s are big on pc no ones gonna pirate them there multiplayer and triple A pc ports are pretty crap nowadays if u wanna play them your better off get a console, i can see denuvo dying out like securom did

16. SteelPillow

SteelPillow Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 8GB (MSI)
    Actually I wish they notice increased sales after the DRM is removed.
    I purchased Doom on day one, but still I mean that DRM is always pain for paying customers rather then for notoric warezdownloaders. Thanksfully not this case, but some other games were pain to run because of DRM stuffs...

17. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I absolutely support what you just said.

Personally Ive had no issue with Denuvo.
    It has not impacted my gameplay at all.
    This is not like the Starforce days, but I am all for DRM free games.

18. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    I'm always for free DRM so I am usually more favored in buying games from GOG and/or devs that lean this way. But at the same time I understand why some would put DRM protection on their product. You wouldn't want people to steal your stuff right?

As it seems though, trying to circumvent piracy is a losing battle and waste of time of money and resources while they can invest into developing the game instead. Idk what you call them; hackers?, but these pirate groups will always find a way to "crack" protected games.

19. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    If it can be built by man then it can be un-built by other men.

The only 100% way to stop cracking is an On-live system that streams games to you.

This method has been talked about for years now but everyone hates the idea because internet is still really bad for this way of doing it.

If we ever get to use faster than light transport of data using Quantum Entanglement then it'll be possible. Spooky action at a distance is now being analyzed and proved correct-ish.

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/context/entanglement-spooky-not-action-distance

Those Dutchies at it again.^^

20. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    You can do it without streaming, by running most logic on a server. Like WoW for example, they basically have to rewrite the game so no1 can have the "original" experience on cracked servers unless they run vold content, and no1 would rewrite the game for non-wow games

But then its online-only (same as streaming ofc).

Apart from that yes, anything which can run offline works, denuvo may not be publically crackable, but there are ways to copy the game anyways.