What is your AA settings ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Hammie, Dec 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    I use 16x CSAA and it doesn't give a performance hit also 16x AF and high quality and vsync ON !

WTF is FSAA, ? Does this take a performance hit. I mean really whats the diff between CSAA and or Q CSAA and FSAA :stewpid:

2. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I always use no higher than 4X for both AA and AF.. I never see any difference with higher settings. I run at 1080p.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    No AA or post AA. Don't really need much at 1440p on 27".

4. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Always use 16x AF. Should really be the last thing you turn down.

5. Mars73

Mars73 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080Ti
    16x AF. AA depends on the game and on which technique. Don't want it to make it too blurry.

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Absolutely this.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Always 16x AF
    For 1440p I use 2xMSAA or equivalent
    For 4K no AA is necessary

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    FSAA means Full Scene Anti Aliasing @ OP.
    It was a more common term in the early 2000s I think but I don't think it implies any particular AA method. Either MSAA or SSAA were used with FSAA as there were basically no alternatives then.
    Post-process based techniques like FXAA/SMAA were implemented later.

Could be wrong though but AFAIK FSAA is a general term for antialiasing, not a technique of its own.

Info about CSAA:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/coverage-sampled-aa.html

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  9. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    fsaa is the same as supersampling, it is also the oldest aa technique

fun fact :the dreamcast had hardware fsaa support lmao.

Also i use smaa with 2xsupersampling where possible,.

10. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I'm in the same boat, but for different reasons, I like my high framerates on 1080p.

Though when I have enough juice left, I'll enable them. Strangely I'm a fan of FXAA (most people dislike it). With some tinkering to LOD bias (negative, etc) and the right settings it can look really nice because it applies to everything.

Other AA techniques sometimes don't apply well to the leaves of trees, some shaders appearing pixelated, ... FXAA, while not perfect, does these particular things really well. Also depends on engine. FXAA forced through the driver, helped a metric ton with the aliasing in Stalker games for instance (this one if a good example of the "leaves of trees").

AF will also be one of the last things I turn down. I like sharp and crisp textures and if need be I tone stuff down in exchange for FPS, but textures/AF are usually the last ones to be dialed down.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Thanks, I thought it was either SSAA or MSAA but wasn't sure.

12. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    SMAA+FXAA through Reshade, looks good and takes no performance hit.
    Of course i use sharpening to counter the blurry edges.

MSAA doesn't even look that good anymore in most games.

13. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Depends on how good your eyes work. With glasses/lenses I can clearly see jaggies @4k on a 28" screen, so I like to use FXAA or similar in that case.

Without glasses/lenses; there really isn't much of a difference between 640x480 and 4k :p

14. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    !080p Full on.
    4K Off.

15. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

^ what he said. 4K and above resolutions wont need aliasing because textures at that point wont be jagged as they are closer to the highest resolution textures generally are when photographing them and photoshopped (or optimized for the artists intention of said texture).

16. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Can't agree. It's the last thing I turn UP. Like I said, I have never seen any difference at anything higher than 4X. On some games, I run it at 2.

17. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    AF is texture filtering, not anti-aliasing, very very different. Anything below 8x is a blur fest on textures. If you are ok with it, then that's obviously up to you. But AF doesn't impact performance much at all, and its a huge IQ improvement in any 3D game.

18. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

there is no right or wrong setting, there is only what looks visually appealing to you and if your like me, how that relates to more of the feel your left with, after involving more vibrant settings to the picture. That is measured in essence, higher fps.. So finding your sweet spot is up to you. Each game will vary as well. It is hard for me to see anything ridiculously prettier or more realistic looking on some games from a HIGH to Ultra settings. Basically those settings detail lighting mostly and slightly higher res textures. At higher resolutions not only does your picture view increase, but at the same time the above settings happen to some degree as well. Then the AA and AF seems to help keep the clarity of the picture remain when in motion. Its "supposed" to get blurry. That is real sight. Wave your head and try to focus on the outside of your peripheral vision. Its not as clear as what is right in front of you. Filtering is for that part of your vision to clear up picture in your main focus point of your vision, which isnt needed as much in higher resolutions. Thats why I turn mine down or off.

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    The first thing I do after installing new drivers is forcing 16xAF in CP. Every time.

20. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    I know what AF does and like I said, I see no difference over 4X. It certainly is not a blur fest and in some games , AF can severely affect performance for little to no benefit. There are even some games where I see no difference between AF and trilinear filtering. The texture detail settings are the ones that make the difference, not the filtering. In the driver settings, I always leave AA and AF on let applications decide. That's except for one game which is the only one that has it's own driver profile because it has no in game AA or AF settings. The game is the original Need For Speed 3: Hot Pursuit which I run with the nGlide wrapper and 8X AA and 4X AF forced through the driver.

Anisotropic filtering is possibly the most overrated feature in computer graphics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.