Overview: AMD Radeon Crimson ReLive Edition Driver

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AMD is getting ready for the winter, in this article we look at what AMD labeled the Radeon Crimson ReLive Edition. This is the new 16.12 driver which has had some TLC from AMD. The release is not off...

Overview: AMD Radeon Crimson ReLive Edition Driver

2. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Reading your take on it...woo!

3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Nice informative read HH , nicely done. Awesome new features ,absolutely great driver ,well worth it. keep it up AMD !

4. pseudo555

pseudo555 Member

GPU:
    sapphire R580
    Just a silly question: what features is available on which card ?

I mean, VSR was announced on a driver as a new feature, but not all the cards supported can use it.

So what about the GCN 1.0 card (such as 7700~7990) ? Do they support "DisplayPort HBR3", "VP9 decode acceleration at 4K 60 Hz" and "HDR 10 Support" or those are only for r400 card ?
    The only information I found is about wattman (which exclude gcn 1.0)...

Edit:
    Disclamer use number which are not present in the text above.
    Answer is available on amd latest driver page.

So here is the answer:

Radeon ReLive :
    Compatible with desktop discrete AMD Radeon™ GCN and Radeon RX 400 Series enabled products with at least 2GB of VRAM, AMD VCE Support and Windows® 7/8.1/10 64 bit operating systems. Radeon ReLive is currently considered "as-is" beta level support for 32 bit operating systems.

Radeon Chill:
    Compatible with AMD Radeon™ GCN and Radeon RX 400 series enabled products in specified AMD supported titles and applications with Windows® 7/8.1/10. Power saving and temperature reduction results may vary based on system configurations.

Radeon WattMan3:
    Compatible with desktop discrete GPU AMD Radeon™R9 Fury series, R9 390 series, R9 380 series, R9 290 series, R9 285, R9 260 series, R7 360, and R7 260 products with Windows® 7/8.1/10.

Radeon Software Installer:
    Compatible with AMD Radeon™ GCN and Radeon RX 400 Series enabled products with Windows® 7/8.1/10.

Display Connectivity:
    Compatible with AMD Radeon™ GCN and Radeon RX 400 Series enabled products with Windows®7/8.1/10.

AMD FreeSync™ Technology:
    Compatible with AMD Radeon™ R9 285, 290, 290X, 380, 390, 390X, R7 260, 260X, 360, R9 Fury series, and Radeon RX 400 series products with Windows® 7/8.1/10. Requires an AMD FreeSync™ technology certified capable display and AMD graphics product.

Upgrade Advisor:
    Compatible with AMD Radeon™ R9 285, 290, 290X, 380, 390, 390X, R7 260, 260X, 360, R9 Fury series, and Radeon RX 400 series products with Windows® 7/8.1/10. Feature is not available worldwide and may not be available in your country or area.

HDR Gaming Support:
    Compatible with desktop AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury series, R9 380, R9 390 series, and Radeon RX 400 series products with Windows® 7/8.1/10. Requires an HDR capable display and game content.

VP9 Decode Acceleration:
    Requires supported Chrome™ web browser versions with Hardware Acceleration enabled. Compatible with AMD Radeon™ GCN and Radeon RX 400 series enabled products on Windows® 7/8.1/10

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016

5. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GCN 1 CS under D3D12 still sucks.

6. Ophelos

Ophelos Guest

GPU:
    R9 290
    "AMD often mimics a lot of what NVIDIA does. So in this case NV has FCAT, and AMD now all of the sudden is introducing something called OCAT, short for Open Capture and Analytics Tool. This open source benchmarking tool."

This is not true at all, PC Perspective is the one who developed the FCAT tool, not Nvidia.
    pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-Dissected-Full-Details-Capture-based-Graphics-Performance-Tes-12

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    quote needed

8. r3lu

r3lu Member

GPU:
    ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti
    Am I the only one who thinks all this new power saving functions in the Radeon drivers is preparation for the next fast-and-hot card... say dual gpu RX480

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6862/fcat-the-evolution-of-frame-interval-benchmarking-part-1

Definitely developed by Nvidia.

I don't know if you're the only person but that thought is a bit of a stretch. They are giving their customers options and finer grain control over how their products work. They should be commended for doing that. Trying to extract meaning out of that and applying it a future product is a little ridiculous. Pretty much everything that AMD has added here that Nvidia doesn't have, I would love for Nvidia to copy/do their own take on.

These are the type of features that are value-add and help sell cards at higher margins. Given the preliminary reviews of ReLive recording stuff and DX11 improvements, it seems like AMD is hitting it out of the park with these drivers.

10. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    I will be doing some testing tonight and tell you all how the new driver is.

11. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Nice stuff. Really like this AMD's approach to bring so many useful things to Radeon users, although not all GCN cards are covered with those, yet. Thanks HH!

12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Drivers installed perfect for me... everything working good.

13. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    I installed the driver about 5 times now. Did the whole DDU thing and all. No matter what I do, my RX480 shows up in device manager as "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problem" I tried re-downloading off AMD's site and all, but no luck. I gave up and went back to the previous driver. Guess I will have to wait for a fix.

14. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Works fine for me. Liking the new Wattman feature, though a power readout would also be useful so I know where to set the limiter.

15. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    That's some really good stuff in there, AMD are hard at work which is what we need.

Obviously it wouldn't have been the same without some monkeys from their marketing dept. doing some hilarious shenanigans:

[​IMG]

:D TIL 8 > 100

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016

16. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

It's probably done to help with visual comparison with the other game increases.

At least, that's the first thing I notice when looking at the graphs side by side.

17. somemadcaaant

somemadcaaant Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6900XT LE
    Damn AMD doing great things with their driver software now, far more useful and better implemented features then Nvidia (except for capture/Shadowplay) imho.

18. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    ..Let's be straight up here. There are better solutions if you want to highlight the difference between the games. It's just a marketing excrement that catches attention by exaggerating a graph and being like 'oh nono, this is what we actually meant'. Similar to bait and switch.

It's cheap and has no place in AMD if it wants to be competitive again, as we know how much AMD tends to lie about their products (Bulldozer sh!ts on Sandy in every possible way, Fury X better than 980Ti, Fury X overclocker's dream etc).

19. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

No, they just highlight their strong points, not their weak points. Intel do exactly the same. I don't see Intel going around saying that Kaby Lake performs exactly the same as Skylake, as well as the same power usage, design, architecture...

20. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Lying about your products to paint a better picture is called vaporware, not highlighting your strong points.
    Did Nvidia highlight their strong point when they 'forgot' to tell us about the 970 VRAM segmentation? You know, sometimes it's good to highlight if your product has any downfalls, like the 970 issue, or Bulldozer not raping Sandy. It's called not being an a$$hole but these companies aren't aware of such a notion.

This graph is far less offensive but it's still a piece of bullsh!t which has no place in a marketing slide. Again Nvidia is a nomniee too, they did some similar hilarious sh!t in the recent past.

When I see stuff like this their reputation is damaged in my eyes and I'm less likely to buy their products, no matter who they are.
    The hilarious part in this case is that both AMD and Nvidia are in the same boat as far as I'm concerned. Relatively equal amounts of bullcrap has been spilt by these two, making me immensely frustrated and wishing 3dfx hadn't gone bankrupt.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016