Will nvidia should give us "magic driver" aka amd crimson ect?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by peppercute, Dec 8, 2016.

1. peppercute

peppercute Guest

GPU:
    Msi 2080Ti TRIO
    So guys what u think about this??

personally i want something like 337.88

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Crimson is magic?

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    No need for extra "new" stuff. Better they hire more staff optimising drivers, as of late Nvidia driver scene is a bit chaotic.

Hell Gsync for Windowed mode STILL doesn't work properly, and thats just one of MANY issues.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Maybe if nvidia fix the lagg when you change settings in their panel. It takes 10sec to apply the new settings.

5. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Whatever improvements they can give us they do give us with Game Ready releases. Which I think is a much better way of handling this than providing a "magic driver" with a bunch of performance gains for titles released half a year ago.

NV is also at the end of its 2nd year on "Paxwell" architecture so there's likely not a lot of gains left in the h/w to tap into with drivers. AMD is in a better position here because their DX11 and OpenGL GCN drivers still a sucks - so they can do many things to improve them.

Otherwise, I don't see much magic in Crimson drivers. I personally hate their UI as it's completely counter intuitive and is just a big mess. The only great thing about it is that it works damn fast - but this is actually compensated by the need for you to ****ing find stuff in it which takes a lot of time even on some 10th+ use.

The fact that AMD is adding GFE functions into the core driver seems something which I probably wouldn't want - unless I can remove them during install as I do with NV's 3D driver for example. The Chill stuff just sounds stupid and unnecessary.

Anything else worth discussing in this?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  6. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    I don't think them doing fancy-looking UIs is an especially worthwhile way to spend time, but having a driver control panel that doesn't take ages to navigate and load while the UI hangs would be pretty nice.

7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    dr_rus
    Well there is always space for some random classic AMD versus NVIDIA fanboy argument.:eyes:

8. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Sentence of the year. :eyes:

9. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Agreed. They should do a slight modern re-skin design wise (use some Win8/10 design language) but the only thing they really should fix is the response time and snappiness of the panel in general.

I personally would be glad if they'd give us the ability to control advanced application settings in the way NV Inspector does this but it's not critical as far as Profile Inspector is still a thing.

10. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Yes.

Yes!

VERY YES!

11. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I had the HD 7970 (280x equivalent), before I bought the GTX 1070. Now if you know how expensive video-cards in Australia are, you know that not everyone can upgrade every year. So for those saying such driver updates are useless, I'll tell you what happened with me.

The boost in performance I got on my HD7970 when Crimson and prior to that the Windows 10 drivers on Windows 8.1 that were coming out with the API Overhead improvements, saved me from buying a GTX970 at the time. The boost in performance was more importantly coupled with the complete removal of micro-stuttering in every game that used to micro-stutter at that time. There was big draw-call improvements, they added shader-cache support, and a few other features that really helped the overall improvement of the card. It literally felt like I bought a new videocard at the time.

I can honestly say, after spending over a decade with AMD, if they had anything on offer that was stronger than the GTX 1070 or in the same ballpark, I would not have made the switch to nVidia.

And having made the switch to nVidia, I don't know why we had a lot of people in the AMD section of the forum bragging about how nVidia drivers are sent from GOD directly.

They both have their positives and negatives.

12. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    They dont need to, cuz nvidia cpanel compared to CCC ,,,,,,,, CCC blows goat so does ATI imo, they make good hardware but bad software,, nothing new,, it was like this 20 years ago with ATI ...... soo nvidia doesnt need to make a magic driver,, their driver is already magic......... ATI is the one with the intern programmers...... thank you

13. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Gotta watch Crimson Tide great movie...

14. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Oh yeah,...most annoying thing since years.

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    so...
    whats going on

plx dont be jelly :D

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Maybe r380 driver branch?

Besides that has been fixed for a while.. think after r367 or was it already r365.

17. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It wasn't. It literally takes several seconds between you hitting Apply and the stuff happening. NVCPL just hangs there for these seconds not reacting to any input. Which in itself is a solid achievement considering that what it does is changes a couple of bytes in Windows registry which is located on an SSD with stupidly fast random access times. I honestly don't know how they are managing to do it this slow in this day and age.

Not a big issue though as I generally open NVCPL only once after a driver install and all the rest driver settings are done via Profile Inspector. Which is kinda funny if you think about it.

18. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Just a question.

I had always thought the nvcpl was scanning the registry for game profiles, installed programs and changes, and this is why it takes so long?

Is this not what is happening?

19. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    They most likely will, sooner or later.

Last time AMD released a "magic" driver that boosted performance, NVIDIA followed shortly after (although with varying results lol).
    Besides that, I kind of wish they actually would do that. NVCP is old as hell, it's clunky, slow and visually fits into Windows XP.

Perhaps a small makeover or redo would be a good thing.

20. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    They know people use Inspector, so i dont think they will do that.