Windows 98 usb flash drive

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by SentinelAeon, Dec 8, 2016.

1. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Hello,

Tomorrow i have to go check an old celeron 600, windows 98 first edition computer with no internet connection, that suddenly stopped printing. Since i might have to install some drivers on it and do a backup, i have 2 choices, either use usb flash drive or, like once before, plug another IDE disk to it. The later choice is a really big pain in the ass, usb flash drive is the obvious solution. The problem is, windows 98 has no drivers for this drive so in order to install them, i have to get them on a computer first. I was wondering, is there a way to somehow install drivers onto a usb flash drive, so when it is connected, it will offer the computer his drivers ? I think something similar used to be or is with gsm phones when you connected them and then they installed drivers from the phone itself. I hope you understand what i mean.

2. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    Why bother just get a new pc.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Been a long time since playing with 98se, but iirc you need the Windows 98se CD, whenever you install something that needs drivers it asks for the Windows disk too

I remember being overjoyed when Windows ME didn't do that anymore lol

4. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    all you had to do was copy the win98 folder from the cd to the harddrive.:nerd: if there was enough space......

@SentinelAeon
    have to have this

http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/win98se-usb-mass-storage-drivers.php

and small enough to fit on floppy or cd-rw.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016

5. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    This thread is is pure OS PTSD.. Good luck OP..

6. elaganza

elaganza Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    put drivers folder on your hdd and install from there.also u can ask for drivers place inf folder.but i wonder if it has right decision to use win98 first edition.u should use final second edition and usb flash drive either 1.0 or 1.1 version.u also should keep in mind win98 no good compatible with newer hardware.think it some kind of nerves games. try win2000 finally.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Yea I found out years later, but the standard install doesn't do it, which is likely what most machines would be running

Not sure what size HDD I would have had back then either... I think my Dad had a 350MB one and I was jealous :D (Although that still sounds pretty small even for 98)

EDIT - Actually the 350 was the CPU speed iirc, 350MHz PII? It was a slot CPU

[​IMG]

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yes remember the PII era slot processors.

Had a Celeron A 300 myself back then, which overclocked to 450 Mhz without a hitch.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Don't think I dabbled in OCing back then, keeping the machine stable at stock was a difficult enough task :D

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    IIRC I was hesitant too given a huge 50 % overclock but my dad insisted we try it out :D

"Come on, what's the worst that can happen?"

:eek:c:

I was amazed the thing even booted, let alone ran flawlessly overclocked its entire life.
    Surely the best bang-for-buck CPU ever!

Though we disassembled the cooler once and there was a distinct blackish mark on the core... so it apparently was on-the-edge all the time.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    50% OC is pretty impressive definitely lol

Not even sure the BIOS in my machines would allow OCing tbh, or did you use software?

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I think back then we used jumper caps on the mobo to define the base clock.
    As in default BCLK 33 x 9 = 300 Mhz, overclocked BCLK 50 x 9 = 450 MHz.

Something to that effect it was. Also I think the CPU bus must have been separate from front side bus as to not mess up PCI/AGP clocks.

Pretty sure the CPU wasn't unlocked and we didn't select multiplier with jumpers.

EDIT: found it:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/174

It was 100 x 4.5 vs. 66 x 4.5 and it was indeed the FSB we were tweaking.
    The Celeron A-model had L2 cache like P2 only smaller 128 kB, but the cache was placed on the die.

I remembered reading that P2 processors often oc'ed worse, that was due to their cache as P2 had the cache on the card, not the actual die (=overheating).

Gues we must have been using a 440BX or 440EX Asus mobo.

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Sounds like fun, Windows was my main interest back then rather than hardware iirc

Think the oldest CPU I still own is this old Athlon

[​IMG]

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Cool! The Celeron system was later replaced by a 800 MHz Duron when upgraded.
    Don't remember much except that was a bad overclocker, lols!

@SentinelAeon
    sorry for derailing the thread a bit, but dsbig's advice I think is all you need. Get those drivers on floppy or cd and use them for using the USB drive.
    Take a spare IDE drive as backup should things go awry.

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    haha I built a system with an 800MHz Duron, iirc was my first ever custom build :D

128MB RAM too

EDIT - Yea kinda went off track a bit there lol

16. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    I fixed the problem, took me about 2 hours but grandpa was happy so all is good, i think he feels better about his own computer being fixed then replacing it with a new computer. What a generation of human beings that was, not spoiled brats like todays youth, rather fixing then buying new.

The problem was with usb driver, funny thing i think i am responsible since the last time i wanted to make backup of his files, i inserted usb flash drive and drivers failed to install. Somehow this ruined the usb to printer connection aswell. Tried replacing default windows 98 drivers a couple of times from windows 98 cd, but there was problem with some files. Then i simply downloaded a driver found online to my computer, then connected his disk to my computer with ide to usb cable. What an awesome cable that is. All is well.