Sony OLED TVs Definitely Launching In 2017

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Not exactly computer hardware related, but pretty big news in television land. We hated that Samsung had dropped OLED from the line-up, leaving only LG with OLED technology for UHD televisions. As it ...

Sony OLED TVs Definitely Launching In 2017

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    eh the oled panels for smart phones and **** but they cant do sub 50in oled tvs, the wait continues for Oled HDTV and Monitors

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  3. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    and here I am, dying for an OLED monitor, tired of LCD everywhere, maybe they don't know it would be a hit for gaming enthusiasts? the response time alone would be worth it, hz be dammed

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it been over decade since thise stuff was annouced and still not replaced lcd

5. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    This is great news, finally some competition in the market. Hopefully it will drop the OLED prices and they become the norm by 2018/2019.

Might finally mean I can get a decent 60" 4K HDR OLED TV by 2018 for around $1500 and use it as my monitor. Currently using the Sony 43" W800C, and I use it mostly for entertainment purposes, but I've dropped the monitor completely and I just game on it now too (have been for a while now actually).

6. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    havent heard any news from sony oled for quite time, how they oled compared to samsung/lg ?
    they might using LG oled on their TV thoo... sony been outsourcing panels for their tvs right?

the cost that make oled not catching up with lcd
    company that manufacture oled also still limited compared to lcd
    price can be pushed down if they can mass produce it
    but nowdays every product depends on demands, if demands still low, manufacturer wont take risk in producing it

aside the high price, for some consumer, like me, i have concern about oled lifespan
    LG said their oled last about 100k hours(which is comparable to lcd backlight), but it have to be proved before i jumped switch to oled

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Sucks this hasn't taken off more, and that LG is still the only supplier. Which is still constricted to massive sizes. 55 or 65.
    (Or super small in the case for small devices)

Would have really loved to have seen a good 1080p OLED that wasn't so big that it caused a screen door effect.

Though, with OLEDs light output limitations and the enforcement of HDR. Seems like they contradict one another. An OLED would never hit 500+ (Or the actual 1000 in the spec) c/d m2 brightness. The ABL would cause large bright scenes to lose their luster.

8. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Well apparently in next 2-3 years we will see affordable OLED Tv's, and around same time OLED Monitors. Cant wait for that, love the deep blacks they will have and amazing response times.

However i bet prices will be INSANE at start, so we will see LED's for quite a while still. But definitely an upcoming future tech. :)

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Doesn't OLED still suffer from color loss and burn-in after 2-3 years?

10. pato

pato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060TI
    As far as I know the burn-in problem does exist and is around the same as with plasma. Not sure if you can have permanent burn-in or only temporary ones though.
    This is also the reason why you don't really see it as a computer display which has very static screen elements.

11. ivymike10mt

ivymike10mt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    And LG go into "printing" OLED's 2017 (vaccum one right now).
    So its mean reducing price and increase production quality.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Other manufacturers (Samsung, Panasonic) are developing alternatives to OLED which are cheaper to produce yet close to it in quality. Samsung with their quantum dot/nano crystal tech and now Panasonic with a new IPS based tech (light modulating cells) that mimics the OLED on-off pixel behavior.

13. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    it does, still looks better than LCD to me, have a few phones with burns here and there, hardly noticeable, mostly under extremely low brightness while in a pitch dark room

there's really no argument for this anymore, the software is already compensating for this in most phones, w10 should do the same as soon as a few OEMs announce OLED monitors, heck I think there's already a few 14" laptops that are OLED, I assume they mitigate the problem via firmware for the time being

14. dragonlord

dragonlord Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Beta Tester
    Note that Quantum Dot is just another screen in front of an old LED/LCD screen, so they are nothing but a marketing scam right now.

And reading the Panasonic link (thanks!) also reveals this is yet another "block the LED backlight" technology, which is bound to have the same light leak and other problems that keep LED/LCD from being truly competitive with OLED.

So, assuming Sony has solved some OLED issues (or else I don't think they'd enter the market, let alone do so aggressively!), I'll wait and see if Panasonic has created something compelling or not.

For now, I'm saving my pennies for that new Sony 65" at that price. 8)

15. ivymike10mt

ivymike10mt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    There are still some lil problems with OLED's.
    One bothering me abit is maximum brightness when huge area of white is displayed - around 150nits.
    Its make brightness bit unstable.
    But Ye they improved alot last 3 years.
    OLED'S are more aceptable since 2016.

16. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Sony is using LG panels as they had used Sharp panels for their IPS TVs. So after comparing the latest 2016 Sony 4K D series TV against today's LG OLED, I am all for Sony's better scaler on the LG panel.

2017 will not come soon enough for us looking to upgrade to 4K HDR screens!

17. Incredible Lama

Incredible Lama Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1
    There's a different HDR standard specificly for OLED screens due to their much darker blacks (less brightness is required).
    I dont need that ultra bright stuff anyway, gives me headaches.

But good to hear some progress, someday I hope to be owning a 30+" OLED HDR 4K monitor. Someday....

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    How long did it take LCD to replace CRT? 25 years?

Only difference here is that CRT was superior. Vastly superior. I remember my staff complaining they didn't have LCD when all their friends in other companies' did. I bit the bullet one day with the MD and had the order placed for new computers with new LCD monitors.

They hated them. Although, I think this had more to do with their 15" 4:3 TN screens and my 24" 16:10 VA screen.

OT: I look forward to our OLED overlords, and I think I said many years ago on these forums, that owning an OLED monitor is like owning a Ferrari. You never sleep alone.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that was then technogly has change alot more and been adapted alot faster since then.

Maybe when I 50? i might look have my monitor an tv with CRT response times.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016