What was your best impulsive purchase?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by sverek, Dec 7, 2016.

1. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    For me it would be Sennheiser HD595. Saw it cheap and bought without any research and not knowing what open headphones are.
    Still using and loving them.

Not limiting to hardware. Share your "impulsive" car, house, clothing, anything :)

2. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Similar here.

Sennheiser HD650's. Ended up buying an extra external headphone amp later on, I was just amazed by the sound.

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Tech related I guess my 980ti. I usually never buy the high end cards.
    I impulse buy more than I'd like to admit though.

4. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    a blonde hooker back in july 2010....Damn she was nice...never could find her again/ looked everywhere :bang:

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    :heh::funny:

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I bought some weed last night not knowing how strong it is and i can tell you im going back there again today. :D

7. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Impulse purchases are almost always bad for me, don't really do it now.

Best tech purchase was one time buying a 3850 and receiving two in the mail days apart. Kept a hold of the second one for a month or so waiting for contact from the seller before flipping it on eBay

8. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition, hands down. Keep in mind that I'm NOT an impulse buyer sort of person, I always plan out things and execute when the time is right, but GOG emailed me a while back about trying this game out for $5. I thought, what the heck, a DRM free game for the cost of a fast food meal.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan oh man was that a great purchase!!! My best buddy and I have gone through it 4 times now! One play through on each difficulty, taking what we learned each time and applying it thoughtfully in the next playthrough. The last "hardcore" playthrough had us biting our nails in some of those battles!

Overall we spent about 80 hours in it thus far. We are taking a break from it for a bit, only to come back later and play through on normal with me only using spoons and him only using a broom! This is an old school RPG game that leaves a LOT of the systems and intricacies to be discovered and tested by the player. It wasn't until our 3rd playthrough that we knew you could use diamonds on armor, or just kill a shopkeep and take their stuff.

Give it a solid look if any of that interests you.

https://www.gog.com/game/divinity_original_sin_enhanced_edition

Keep in mind that the sequel is almost done as well. :nerd:

9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ that reminds me I picked up DX:HR from a bargain bin for like 5 €, passing by. You could say it was worth the price!

10. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I got a physical version of the Augmented edition of DX:HR for free! I ordered the LOTR trilogy Bluray from Amazon for Christmas a couple years back and they also sent me the game. No idea why. I was never charged for it. I contacted them to send it back, they said they didn't want it. Fun game, especially for the price.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Haha, that's even better :)

Almost missed this gem of a game, bought it out of impulse as it was highly praised (and cheap at the moment).
    Hadn't played Deus Ex games before HR except tried Invisible War very briefly.

12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Xbox One. No shame.

13. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Impulsive? Hmm. Perhaps the most impulsive was when I pre-ordered a Razer Raiju.....

14. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Same here. I still have my day one Xbox One, Kinect staring at me to this very day. No shame. I've always had a rocking PC and most consoles since I was ~8 years old and realized that picking a "team" was pointless.

15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Back at the time, Samsung Galaxy Note. Hands down.

16. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Morrowind a long time ago. I knew nothing about it and picked it from a bargain bin. Since then I have spent far more hours on Elder Scrolls games than any other titles.

17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    For sure!

I'm Gaming race!

18. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Bought a Q9450 back in 2008 and it died after a year, the replacement is still going strong to this day with daily usage.

This was back when you could overclock any CPU, the price was about £250 (£50 more than my current i5).

It's still overclocked at 3.5.

19. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    [​IMG]

Was looking for that game for a long time now. Totally gonna buy it on steam winter sale.

Hear hear!

EDIT : I myself am not buying things impulsively anymore, but it fun to look back and count how many useless things you bought and how few actually still serving well.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  20. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Back in early 2014 i bought a galaxy s4 second hand for 175 euro on spot. Didn't really
    need a new phone since i had a gnex. So on a site for second hand ads i found a guy
    selling a 290x reference for 300 euro. Called him and asked him if he wanted to trade
    his gpu for my s4. Oddly enough he agreed and here we are. A gpu that was around 350
    euro second hand and 450 euro brand new at the time, i got for 175 euro. Still rockin' it.