Download Realtek HD Audio 2.80 driver

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It has been a while but you can now download the new Realtek HD Audio 2.80 driver. We missed it, released last week. The new build now offers support for Windows 10 and adds some more Codecs as well...

Download Realtek HD Audio 2.80 driver

2. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    Is it just me, or do Realtek make the worst drivers imaginable? I've taken to not installing them and letting Windows 10 do its own thing now. Systems seems to run better as a result.

3. BrainDedd

BrainDedd Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1070 OC
    They can be a bit messy with the modifications to the system, but I haven't had any performance / stability issues at all with them, and I've been running the unofficial ones for a while now.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    As far as I'm aware, Windows still downloads official Realtek drivers but it acquires the bare minimum to function. With the exception of AMD/Nvidia GPUs (but not Intel) and devices that Windows has no built-in support for (such as TV tuners) I will often go out of my way to try extracting just the bare minimum files to get the device working, such as .inf, .cab, .sys, and so on.

Most software that drivers come with is bloat to me. Windows is already too bloated as-is.

Though Linux's audio stack is messy compared to Windows', I do have to admit that it's pretty convenient that, assuming the driver exists, everything "just works" without having to do anything or use wonky+bloated 3rd party software.

5. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    As rule always uninstall the old one first then install the news ones.
    It nice see they final got around update there audio driver after 1+year boy that lo ng time but it so sad that they still haven't done any thing with audio manager UI which is really out date which what like 15 years old come on realtek get with the program.
    Hmmm Linux's audio stack messy compared to Windows' need to say that wrong as Sound Blaster Z series are all but useless under linux vs realtek.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Why update it if it works? The UI manager does everything it needs to, at least for me it does. Generally speaking, whatever it doesn't do, the Windows settings will do instead.
    ...how does a non-working driver make the audio stack not messy? Not only does that not prove the statement false but it's not even completely related. Anyway, it's pretty common knowledge among Linux users that Creative is negligent of their drivers. There are plenty of good alternatives.

7. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
    Well Windows 10 doing it's own thing just installs whatever version of the Realtek driver set anyway, I suppose only ever updating if there is some major bug discovered.

I've been keeping the Realtek driver updated using downloads from Microsoft Update Catalog for the last couple years now, I do it whenever nvidia releases a new driver. Never had an issue with Realtek, other than a specific audio enhancement setting I use not being remembered between reboots a few driver versions ago. In fact, the latest Realtek driver actually greatly improved audio quality!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  8. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Always wonder why they don't include ALC898...which ofc it's supported fine.

9. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    The stock widows drivers don't come with stereo mixer which very useful to Hauppauge HD-PVR 60 in getting game sound sent to HDMI output with my HD7870 and headphone at same time with out having to used any audio patch cable.

Your one that said the Linux's audio stack is messy compared to Windows but audio stack with Realtek and other work every time unlike CL so how that a messy compared Windows ?.
    Unless you mean the overlapping other audio service like OSS, Pulse Audio and so on ? now that part I agree is a big mess.

10. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Hmm that odd that what I have on my Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 and they install just fine or did mean something else ?.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016

11. reeven

reeven Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX280 750/1450/3000
    on gigabyte with alc1150 sound dissapear after few hours( brand new mainboard 990x-gamins sli), latest win10 updates, firmware, etc. test two realtek drivers.
    Anyone notice this bug?

12. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

This drive doesnt support alc1150, the same version on my Asus X99-A II mobo.

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I download Realtek drivers from station drivers and I currently run a version ending with 8004. It's great on my PC, older versions had a weird distortion effect occasionally with the anniversary update of 10. Definitely a keeper. I wouldn't rely on motherboard support or even realtek's own site for different versions if i had issues.

I install it via device manager and point it to the 64 bit folder, it installs fine and doesn't cause any trouble at all. I disable the control panel stuff from startup because it wants me to install asus sonic studio to be able to do anything and I don't want Asus software on my pc lol.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I refused to upgrade the audio drivers anymore, not after that 4+ years of bad drivers that cause my system to lock.

Would like to know what is ment by support windows 10... last i checked it support it for quite some time

15. reeven

reeven Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX280 750/1450/3000
    installed today on gigabyte alc1150 realtek, is working.. but didnt know yet if my problem is fixed or not.

16. Why no support for ALC1150? Its common on Haswell and later generation mobos...

17. Broken Haiku

Broken Haiku Member

GPU:
    AMD 280x 3GB
    This version uninstalled the Realtek control panel for me. Ran the Gigabyte update util and it claimed the version it found was newer, and I got the control panel back.

18. mattm4

mattm4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6900xt
    Thanks for this post Hilbert, my audio manager on my work desktop often will go crazy and end up using about 50% of my cpu until I kill the process. Hopefully this driver will fix that issue.

19. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Microsoft just released an update for the Surface Pro 4 which is a Realtek driver update that somehow improves performance for Cortana. Something was obviously screwed with the Realtek drivers to have caused that.

20. reeven

reeven Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX280 750/1450/3000
    my sound dissapearing in win10 after few hours its not fixed with v2.80. I will send this gigabyte crap 990x gaming SLI to warranty.