4K gamers...what cards??

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Robaroo, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Robaroo

Robaroo Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor HD 5970 2GB
    I have had my 4K monitor for almost 2yrs now and tbh, finding it hard to play on anything less. Ive tried the 2k and less but it just doesnt look "that" good anymore :(

My current setup is GTX980 SLi and im starting to feel its lacking in newer games in High/Ultra settings...

Battlefield 1 (well doesnt work at all at the moment lol) 50fps
    GTA V 55-60FPS
    Arma 3....not sure what happened here...hard to get over 30fps lately..

Anyway the upgrade...

Do i wait for the 1080Ti announcement then maybe get 2 of them?

1080 SLi?

Titan X Pascal? Kind of worried the one card wouldn't be enough compared to the above.

I plan on spending about $1700, £1350, 12000 DKr

I want the best frames i can get for the buck and will only settle for 4K.

Would love to hear from other 4K gamers...your setup and experiences...

Cheers

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I'm not sure 4K will be a reality at high framerates any time soon. Even with GPUs getting faster, games raise the system requirements as they improve their graphics. The only way this will change is if games actually start to target 4K instead of 1080p as their base line.

If you can accept lowering graphics settings, then the fastest GPU is your only option. Right now, that's the Titan. AMD is scaling better at 4K, but lacks the overall performance; even if it scales better than NVidia, a Titan will still outperform any AMD card at 4K.

If you can accept sub-60FPS gaming (close to 60 most of the time but frequent dips), you can get away with a 1080. If you can accept 30-40FPS, a 1070 will do, but here I would also start looking at AMD cards since they scale better at 4K.

My advice: play at 1080p and be happy. I sometimes have to play at 900p to keep FPS high with some poorly "optimized" games.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Have you tried anything above 60hz?

4. Robaroo

Robaroo Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor HD 5970 2GB
    Thanx RealNC but ill stick the 4K :)

Sverek, actually the only monitor ive had is an old 1080p 24inch and this 28" 4K samsung :)

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    As of now only a titan x can handle 4K. Maybe a 1080yi if it gets teleased

6. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    Agreed. a 1080 can get 60fps with medium to high detail. Its just not common enough yet.

You'll need a pascal Titan. 2 of them if you start trying to do triple 4k.
    I remember when 2560x1440 was hard to get too. Still is in certain games.

Current GPU technology just isn't there yet for general 4K gaming.

Arma 3 will always have low FPS especially in multiplayer. Looks like they are switching to 64 Bit soon so that may change, allowing it more resources. Nothing wrong on your end.

There's no substitute for rendering resolution, its expensive performance wise. I wish the crowd screaming for 4K VR headsets would understand that.

7. Teisco

Teisco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    What about two 1080's? I run three 980's and get 60 plus at 4k in some games (but not flight sims) and I am selling those and going to two 1080's.

8. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    4K is very capable in SLI.....as long as the game your playing works and scales well.

Basically you've got 2 options. Spend 1400 on a pair of 1080 and hope your favorite game supports it, and with full scaling you'll get 60+ fps.

Or spend 1600 on the Titan pascal. The Titan pascal can maintain 40 to 60fps on a single 4K monitor guaranteed.

A side note, as far as I knew nvidia is discontinuing support for tri and quad sli. I'm sure you can get it to work but expect no support.

9. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    I would wait for the 1080 Ti to be released, then get a couple in SLI.

On the other hand, if you're impatient and can spare the cash, two Titan XPs are the way to go - nothing will beat them until the next generation of GPUs come around in the second half of next year. Because, let's be realistic, the best AMD can hope to do is to match the Titan.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    NV 1080TI & TitanXP,
    AMD R9 490X & 490XT?
    Just might do it for now.

Kind of like what 970GTX, 780TI/ R9-290X does at 1080p atm, you have to lower a few settings to maintain higher fps.

Imo only next-next-gen high-end NV Volta and AMD Navi will really run it great.. Still a good 1year to go.

11. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I just bought a 4k tv recently and have been going though my steam collection via big picture to see how the games look and run in 4k, and i have been very pleasantly surprised by the results.....dirt 3 and grid 2 in 4k were simply amazing to look at, Alien Isolation is phenomenal, that bit where the space ship flys by the windows was amazing in 4k, Just cause 2 again looks phenomenal at a 4k res, everything it seem at a 4k res just pops in colour and detail, really the colour just seems so much more in every way, more rich and deep and detailed......i am sold on 4k now. Ha

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    4k is a few years I the future for me. I'll take 2k 120hz IPS for now.

13. If you want to play NATIVE 4K@MAXDETAILS@60FPS, you will have to wait for a VERY long time...

And it is a good thing actually, otherwise current gen games would look even worse than the last gen. Most games which will want the best out of both worlds will use some sort of upscaling to reach acceptable FPS, like Quantum Break or Watch Dogs 2. Some developers will opt for Multi-res shading technique, which is yet another form of upscaling/decreasing resolution. Native 4K is total nonsense, total waste of performance and two steps backwards for gaming industry. The only reason 4K (or HDR) TVs came to market is industry struggle to improve LCD technology any other way than increasing pixel density.

Oh and if you are thinking about SLI/CF, rendering became so complicated with modern engines that multi GPU support via drivers is just not viable. And with DX12 you will be completely in hands of game developers if they will bother implementing multi GPU support, which mostly won't happen because consoles don't use multi gpu.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2016
  14. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Titan X Pascal SLI, 1080 Ti or maybe VEGA 10 CFX should do it but wait for reviews.

15. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Hoping my 980ti's in Sli will be ok I have a free 43in 4k TV coming in a few weeks which I am going to be using with my main rig.

16. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    Next year I will build myself a solid 8C 16T pc platform (either zen or i7 6900k maybe) and in 2 years, or when 4K monitors with 120 hz come along I will consider true 4K gaming.

I could not go back to 60hz no matter the pixel numbers....

17. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    More than enough is suspect, i only have a 970 and i drop stuff like AA and Shadows down low, but games still look fantastic, i am amazed at how many older games have that 4k settings, never in a milliln years would have thought old games likes of Dirt 3 or Grid 2 would support a 4k res.......going to try The Thief, all the Batmak and Half life tonight see how they look in 4k. ha

18. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    It's just a resolution. There's nothing special about it, except if the game actively places an arbitrary upper limit (because it might have a fixed-sized GUI or whatever.)

I was playing Tomb Raider 3 in 1200p back in 1999. In fact, you can find games from the 90's that you can just run in 4K.

19. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Will the 2080 GTX handle 4k res all high details 16x CSAA 16x AF high quality

But it must give 60fps locked ,,, as in it doesn't go down much... I doubt it, at 4k res and a new game like bf 1 or COD with high quality settings,, I doubt you get 60fps that doesnt drop @ 4k... But at 1080p it will pown.

20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well whatever it is doing i like it, everything just pop's a that res, cannot wait to go through the rest of my games, might take a while though, 600 plus on steam alone. lol