Power Plan Switcher

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Fyew-jit-tiv, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Does anyone know of a way to switch Win Pwrplans automatically when lauching a program?
    ie.. If i were to launch photoshop my powerplan would auto change to high power and when i quit PS the powerplan would change to balance. Is there a way to add this as an argument to program launching?

Thank for feedback

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  3. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Yes.Its Process Lasso.
    https://bitsum.com/
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Process-Lasso.shtml

You just need to add a game (or program) into "Game mode settings>Designated game process" and then automatically the program will switch to "Bitsum Highest Perf",its like High perf power setting from Windows.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  4. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2

5. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
  6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    But actually you don`t need performance power plan all the time you work in PS. There are several hidden power plan settings which can transfer balanced plan into "performance on demand" plan. They are about P-states and C-states of CPU. You could set them so that once load is increasing CPU switches to higher P-state (freq and VID) and lower C-state (all parts of CPU is powered and kicking). While once load is decreasing CPU returns to lower P-state and higher C-state (sleepy).
    Believe me you can`t create constant load in editor.

7. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    OK. So whats is your suggestion on how to make this work?

Again thanks for your input.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    What OS you have?

9. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Windows 10 Pro. My C1 States are disabled in the bios. Let me know if C1 needs to be enabled?

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    No. They just lets to switch off unused parts of CPU.

And your CPU?

I will collect settings and post them soon...

11. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Using X99-WS with 5960x.

Ill keep a look out.

Thanks gain. :infinity:

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Settings and command to unhide them.

P-states
    Processor performance increase threshold:
    Specify the upper busy threshold that must be met before increasing the processor's performance state (in percentage).

powercfg -attributes SUB_PROCESSOR 06cadf0e-64ed-448a-8927-ce7bf90eb35d -ATTRIB_HIDE

Processor performance decrease threshold:
    Specify the lower busy threshold that must be met before decreasing the processor's performance state (in percentage).

powercfg -attributes SUB_PROCESSOR 12a0ab44-fe28-4fa9-b3bd-4b64f44960a6 -ATTRIB_HIDE

Processor performance increase policy:
    Specify the algorithm used to select a new performance state when the ideal performance state is higher than the current performace state.

powercfg -attributes SUB_PROCESSOR 465e1f50-b610-473a-ab58-00d1077dc418 -ATTRIB_HIDE

Processor performance decrease policy:
    Specify the algorithm used to select a new performance state when the ideal performance state is lower than the current performace state.

powercfg -attributes SUB_PROCESSOR 40fbefc7-2e9d-4d25-a185-0cfd8574bac6 -ATTRIB_HIDE

Processor performance time check interval:
    Specify the amount that must expire before processor performance states and parked cores may be reevaluated (in milliseconds).

powercfg -attributes SUB_PROCESSOR 4d2b0152-7d5c-498b-88e2-34345392a2c5 -ATTRIB_HIDE

Turbo mode
    Processor performance boost policy:
    Specify how much processors may opportunistically increase frequency above maximum when allowed by current operating contitions.

powercfg -attributes SUB_PROCESSOR 45bcc044-d885-43e2-8605-ee0ec6e96b59 -ATTRIB_HIDE

Processor performance boost mode:
    Specify how processors select a target frequency when allowed to select above maximum frequency by current operating conditions.

powercfg -attributes SUB_PROCESSOR be337238-0d82-4146-a960-4f3749d470c7 -ATTRIB_HIDE

-----

After you execute commands to unhide power plan settings (in elevated command prompt) go to "Control Panel => Power Options => change plan settings => Change advanced power settings" - that will bring dialog with the tree of settings. Expand "Processor power management" root node and find there mentioned settings.

Recommended values for P-states settings:
    Processor performance increase threshold = 5%
    Processor performance decrease threshold = 5% (or lower - that will delay switching to lower P-state)
    Processor performance increase policy = 'Ideal' (or 'Rocket' - that will set straight maximum P-state)
    Processor performance decrease policy = 'Ideal' (or 'Single' - that will slow decreasing of P-states)
    Processor performance time check interval = 20 ms

You can spy after Windows (doing nothing or with browser/media player) to check its average percentage of CPU Utilization/Idle (either CPU utilization in Task Manager Performance tab or System Idle Process in Details tab). That will give you the value for Processor performance increase threshold/Processor performance decrease threshold which will be equal either to Utilization or to (100 - Idle). So when you will launch PS you will give higher % of business and CPU will be switched to higher P-states.
    You can then compare your impressions form such configured balanced power plan and default performance power plan.

Edit:
    Recently I unearthed description of another hidden setting:
    619b7505-003b-4e82-b7a6-4dd29c300971 - Latency sensitivity hint processor performance (Specify the processor performance in response to latency sensitivity hints).

And according to this https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/mt422951(v=vs.85).aspx :
    So it could be set to 100% to switch CPU into maximum P-state on receiving such latency sensitivity hints.

13. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    You can also use "configure application power profiles", this can be done in menu or right clicking on a process in list.

14. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    That's interesting but looking at stock HP values, not much is different, I'll post what I think stock HP are next to yours.

Recommended values for P-states settings:
    Processor performance increase threshold = 5% -HP is 30%
    Processor performance decrease threshold = 5% (or lower - that will delay switching to lower P-state) - HP is 10%
    Processor performance increase policy = 'Ideal' (or 'Rocket' - that will set straight maximum P-state) - HP is rocket
    Processor performance decrease policy = 'Ideal' (or 'Single' - that will slow decreasing of P-states) - HP is single
    Processor performance time check interval = 20 ms - HP is 15ms

619b7505-003b-4e82-b7a6-4dd29c300971 - Latency sensitivity hint processor performance (Specify the processor performance in response to latency sensitivity hints). -HP is 99%

So it seems Processor performance increase/decrease threshold are biggest changes, along with small change in check interval value.

You find good way to test this stuff with amount performance or latency, that seems always the problem to me with messing with these things.

PS: I am not saying your values are bad, just some observations.

15. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Just playing around with this myself. Interesting still. Although im now thinking M$ could/should have implemented this as a feature in win 10. Post back results shortly.

16. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    MS has made improvements, they have added new speed-step for new HW like Skylake.
    Problem with MS they have to find a value that works for all as default over all kinds of HW and user usage.

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    MS implemented all this in Win7. Since then they added some settings and changed behaviour of some.
    In HP plan you can make the 'Lower bound for processor performance throttling' equal to 'Upper bound for processor performance throttling' so that P-states are ignored and CPU always works at maximum.
    5% and 30% makes quite big difference for a setting. But I was hoping to inspire you to test and fine tune for yourself. All systems are different, so there is no such thing as universal global optimal setting.
    As for power plans, for me games or rendering or computations are the patterns of workload worth for HP plan. But work in editor is the kind of workload for "performance on demand" because more than 90% of time CPU is idle.