Gigabyte R9 380 4GB crashes to black screen!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Myers75, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Myers75

Myers75 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4GB
    I am just posting this here cause lots of guys know their stuff here. I get the very common problem with R9 series which is already reported in this thread.

https://community.amd.com/thread/198067

When playing games my gpu crashes to black screen and I have to do hard reset. Tried old drivers (15.11.1) but it didnt work. The only thing that works is if I downclock Core clock from 970 to 700 Mhz with Afterburner. Then it works with no problems. Tried hunders of things but still the same ****. If anyone has some tips I would be very grateful. Thanks

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    If downclocking fixes it, then it's most likely unstable at stock clock speeds.

No driver can fix that.

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Does it have to be that drastic? Like, 700MHz? Also are you 100% sure that your PSU is ok?

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    OP: What are your temps during gameplay at stock and lowered clocks? Seems you may have an improper heatsink mounting or pasting, depending what may be overheating.

It could be due to a memory module not being set properly with it's thermal sink.

5. Myers75

Myers75 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4GB
    Prmisnister yes it must be 700Mhz cause on 720 it crashes. 705mhz is the limit. XFX makes some best psus so I think thats not the issue here. r9 needs 500w and I got 550w.

Chastity on default it runs on 52 degrees in gaming I think around 60-65 degrees on 700Mhz. Cant test it on default clock cause I cant play games long enough. Crash happens quickly. I replaced thermal paste. I hope I did it right . What did you meant by that memory module not set right? What more can be done?

6. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    So we have the same exact card? I dont have any problems AT ALL!

16.11.5 (DDU) - All my system is stock - Windows 10 x64 !

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If you know that it always crashes, take it to another system and see how it behaves there.

8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    There's a giant heatsink that covers the gpu and memory modules. The GPU is thermal pasted, the memory modules have thermal-conducting pads. I would remove the card and check for gaps on the memory, or if the pads curled up anywhere. Some cards, like Asus DCII models, didn't have memory under the heatsink, but are exposed to air. Others will use small memory heatsinks with fins. The VRMs should also be setup like the memory, and if they are not then they can be overheating and causing thermal shutdown, which would be like your symptoms.

If you are getting 60-65C on such a low clock, then something is wrong with the cooling. Idle temps should be down to about 40C at stock speeds. Check fan speeds, maybe a fan is failing and you don't notice it since it may report the working fan's speeds, and NOT the under-performing one. Look at them visually while in operation to make sure they are both ramping up (or three of them depending on model).

If you repasted, and it wasn't done right, or if you used too much, then the paste may be acting as an insulator. But I doubt this is the case, but I cannot tell w/o handling the card myself. I like to use IC Diamond paste as it's idiot-proof, using too much is ok as the paste does not lose thermal capacitance. If you did use something like Arctic Silver, the paste may have been applied too thinly and is not making the best contact with the heatsink. (As the paste heats up, it will thin out and spread)

So in summary, check your fans are working properly, and make sure all components are covered and properly mounted with their cooling. If you lack the expertise, seek someone to do it for you.

PR is suggesting that maybe your PC setup is a factor, perhaps you have very poor internal ventilation of heat and the card is overheating. (If so, the fans on the gpu should be going to max very fast) Trying it in another PC can help you rule this out. Good luck with your diagnostics. :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  9. Myers75

Myers75 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4GB
    Hm yep it seems it is an overheating issue. I reapllied thermal paste again put it a little more and spred it evenly. It worked better and I manged to get some more gaming time but in the end eventually it crashes again. It seems main chip is overheating but I dont know why. Fans are both working ok and I dont see any problems with my internal ventilation. Really have no clue why its overheating.

I also noticed that some chips are not covered with thermal pads. Could this be the issue. Only one row of chips is covered with pads.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    What are your new temps, and can we get a pic of your card with the heatsink off? Also what paste are you using?

11. Myers75

Myers75 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4GB
    I will try to put thermal tape on all the memory chips and see then. Really dont feel in the mood to open the pc again etc so I will put the pictures on later. I am using paste From Cooler Master (V1 IC VALUE). Its a white paste and I dont know hoe good it is. As for the temperature it doesnt go higher than 60 degrees on 700Mhz but its aroung 57-60 degrees. Thats under heavy gaming load.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    To put things into perspective, my 390 doesn't go above 61C on full load with my 1180/1700 overclock, so you definitely have a thermal issue. How old is the card, and is it still under warranty? Sounds like you are beating a lame horse to death and maybe she needs a RMA?

13. Myers75

Myers75 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4GB
    Yes it seems more and more its a defective card. Its still in rma but I dont know how it will go cause I opened the card several times and I think that voids the guarantee. I am definitely gonna be looking for a new card. I am on a budget and want some recommendations to some best card in the range of 150-200 bucks.

14. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Rx 480 4gb $179.99...>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131708

The 8gb cards are well over your budget.

15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150774 $249 and $20 rebate for XFX RX480 8GB

I would think the extra 4GB is worth the extra few bucks. I <3 having phat textures.

As for the RMA, call them and see what they say. Do NOT mention that you opened the heatsink, as I do not know their policy. At Asus, we didn't care that much.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016

16. Myers75

Myers75 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4GB
    What about something from the green team. I am really dissapointed with AMD team, their support and gpus.

17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
  18. Myers75

Myers75 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4GB
    Hm I discovered that card works a little better when User defined fan control is set in Afterburner. Definitely overheating issue. Do you guys think that extra cooling for that gpu could do the trick or is this card done?

19. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Could be the fans are dying and need replacement. ie. they are not spinning as fast as they should be.

20. Myers75

Myers75 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4GB
    Can fans be bought separately cause I searched around but didnt find nothing.