Which 1080 if I pull the trigger on one now?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by mahanddeem, Nov 23, 2016.

1. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Hello, itching for a new GPU is about to make me buy one now and forget about 1080 Ti which will be expensive most likely.
    Looks like EVGA is having issues with heat and bad designs, GIGABYTE Xtreme or MSI Gaming X or other?
    Any 1080s have Samsung memory? That would be a plus more me.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  2. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I have the Gigabyte G1 Gaming and its great.

stays cool .. great boost clock .. just a good card

3. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Personally I would go with Palit Gamerock, Zotac AMP!, AMP! Extreme which have great cooling and MSI too looks like good one

GTX1080 have only Micron memory as they're using GDDR5X

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

4. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Heard the Zotac AMP! heats up a lot, but the AMP! Extreme is a beast of a card. The Palit Gamerock is also a great card. I myself have the Asus Strix one which is also a very nice card in terms of cooling. So i'd go with either one out of those 3.

5. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    What stock boost clocks you guys are getting at stock clocks? I mean ACTUAL gaming boost clocks.
    That would help because I'm not interested in overclocking this 1080 when I get it.
    Thanks again guys.

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    If you are not going to overclock, the difference between the boost clocks in cards is very negligible. Not worth stressing over, and it can differ from one card to the next even if they are the same card.

Get the best cooling for the price. Keeping it cool is the best bet in getting higher boost clocks anyway.

That said, you really should overclock it. Super easy, more safe then ever.

7. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Just go for the cheapest with the cooler you fancy. Btw the g1 1080 looks good and is among the cheapest here.
    I bought the evga 1080 dt. Was a lot cheaper on a sale. I clock it to 2083 every day even without the cooling pads. (they are in the mail).

8. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

Hi there

My Zotac GTX1080 AMP have boost clocks at 1886MHz or something around that figure, but actual boost clock is 1946MHz in games without any OC

OC on my is 2050-2075MHz on core and +200MHz on VRAM(this works for me and I'm happy)

But agree, it doesn't matter what boost clocks are if you will be OC the card

Cooling, my Zotac GTX1080 AMP runs quite hot or hotter but this can be as I'm running two GPU, Titan X is close to the Zotac, right now after I've played with airflow of the case, my temps on Zotac are in 70°C with 65% fan profile and Titan X is running around 45-48°C in rendering

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

9. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    No. It matters much when you get a card that boosts to 1987 plus or even 2k plus on stock vs one that boosts to ~1900

The higher one does not even need OC, and will not benefit from OC anyway(might be small gain from memory OC which alone IMO does not worth the hassle=higher temp, instability, lottery chip, drivers sensitivity, oc apps running all the time, unexplained strange behavior.....etc.)

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  10. jarablue

jarablue Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4080 Black
    I find this whole evga thing funny. I have a 1080gtx ftw with no thermal pads at all and just the updated bios that was released by them and my powerlink adapter. My card is staying cool and not frying up at all. I run a custom fan curve and that's about it. Play games and just enjoy the thing. My house isn't burning down. It sucks that it is happening to some people but evga is still freaking awesome in my book.

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    1. MSI Gaming X - The quietest card around
    2. ASUS Strix OC - Boosts extremely well but louder than MSI

12. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    It's the VRM's that overheat. You cannot see the temps of the VRM's unless you use a temp tool. The BIOS just makes the fan spin faster. I would get those pads. It might not be an immediate issue with the faster fan speed, but those pads could easily add a few years to the life span of that card, VRM's wear out from heat. And 105 C is f'kin hot.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  13. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    Let me say this. As of 11/1, EVGA has taken care of the issue and the new cards are all shipping with a lot of thermal pads installed. Also...you will not find another company to offer the level of customer service of EVGA. I have the reference ACX 3.0 1080 and the card is a beast. I can push it to +250 core and +200 Memory with no adjustments to any voltages, etc. Here is some proof:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/15097207

You are safe with any brand. EVGA's customer service is a perk...

14. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    EVGA / MSI AIO versions - stable clock, higher overclock, silent performance, cool, less overheating trouble.

15. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Never was an fan of MSI but now I own one I can say I'm very happy with it :)

16. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    Hi mahanddeem
    I just ordered a msi gaming X over a gigabyte G1 gaming. The reason of my choice is the 8+6 pin on the msi where the G1 gaming has just the 8 pin. I don't know if it really is relevant, but that's the only reason.

The Asus STRIX-GTX1080-8G-GAMING would also have made it but i need 3 Display port and clocks are lower than the msi or the gigabyte apparently

Enjoy it when you have it :)

17. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Guys, thanks

My Gigabyte 1080 Xtreme arrived!
    It boosts to 2050 on cold start gaming, down to 2012 when it heats to 50s! And VRAM 10200, slight but welcomed bump in memory.
    3DMark firestrike 1080p is 23888
    Huge performer,

BUT...
    I had to bent the stupid X light thing in the middle cause the middle fan wasn't spining when first power on the card.
    Awesome booster!
    But ****TY QC

Still debating exchange! I'm sure the only one that might get good clocks AND great quality is 1080 Classy from EVGA.
    But afraid from the VRM thingy.

18. XcroN

XcroN Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti Aorus xtreme
    I own the 1080 G1 Gaming since mid June and i'm happy.
    Good card and solid performance.

19. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    EVGA 1080 with 8GB ram. gl

20. Stingray

Stingray Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Super OC
    I'd go to Amazon or Newegg, sort by price and reviews. Been happy with my Zotax AMP which was lowest price at the time. Been super stable. Reminds me of my 8800GTX back in the day. One of the best GPU's I ever owned.