Rx490!!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Dburgo, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

Just read an article on a blocked from linking website that this thing might be the 4k solution as well as competes directly with 1080 near the same price point! I remember when 295x came out and was goin at the Titan!

Here are the things we know for sure, thanks to previous leaks and AMD’s own documents:

It will target the 4K resolution and be the go-to graphics card for VR.
    It will have a bus width greater than 256 bits.
    It will be based on either a dual-GPU Polaris 10 design or Vega 10.
    Its going to be close to the price point of the Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2016
  2. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    Dual gpu? I don't think so,maybe RX495 or something like that.

3. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

Well polaris is a triple star system, plus theres rumor they might have multi gpu in one card and acts like one gpu! 3x480 would definitely beat a 1080.

4. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    There's no such thing. Multiple GPUs cannot 'act' like one GPU since each GPU has its own cache and has to have access to the same shared memory pool and, preferably, a bus to communicate directly with the other GPUs. If it were possible, previous dual-GPU cards would have done so and avoided the hassle of support multiple GPUs in AFR mode.

6. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

That was then, a DX12 card and vulcan might be the difference with multigpu. It's not possible? Before these API's we couldnt mix and match amd/nvidia cards before either..

7. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    We really don't want another dual-gpu card....

And as for multi-gpu - in DX12 and Vulkan, it's up to the developer to implement it and we've all seen how developers love to ignore multi-gpu setups. Look at most new releases of games, no multi-gpu support at all.

8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Unless you do something like HSA transparently in the driver. Then they can share memory space but it doesn't need to be duplicated. Or maybe I'm talking out of my a*s. I would prefer a Vega card instead of a dual Polaris one (whose performance we already know). I'm not hot at all with these news.

9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Ofc they could make 2 gpus work as one. We have seen that happen with 2 cpus on one die. But hmmh I doubt they are doing anything like that. And competing with 1080 no, they should compete with Titan XP or upcoming 1080ti to matter. Raja did speak on the matter of multi gpu, vulkan and dx12.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  10. Rambo

Rambo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
    Are you sure? I have heard about HSA and newer implementation multi-gpu in DX12. In the DX12, GPUs could work simultaneously under one frame in the same time, pool of resources are shared so in the fact CF is pretty close to act as one GPU. We know that in the DX11 GPUs were worked individually and frames couldn't be shared.

I hope they won't release RX 490 as dual chip. It would be totally fail.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Actually, it was possible to "mix and match" cards from AMD and NVidia before. It was called Lucid Hydra.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2844

12. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

So whatever happened with Hydra 200?

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    This assumed card has something to do with Vega architecture ?

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Lucid stopped supporting it, just like they did Virtu. NVidia never wanted it to work anyway.

15. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Ofcourse they didnt want it to work. They didnt control it. They were greedy with physx, and look where that has really ended up as well.

Im personally waiting for the RX 490 even if its 2x RX 480s in one gpu.

That would be a great setup for a dual 480 8gbs with an AIO for 2580x1080@80hz and the occasional 3440x1400@80hz downsampling.

16. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    a revival of sideport perhaps?,
    the 4870x2 had such an interconnect but it was never used.

17. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Don't bet on that, we all know VSR artificial res limitations and CRU could work but there is no guarantee.

18. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Actually I dont use VSR and dont need it. CRU works perfect, especially with downsampling and 32-80hz freesync range. Works fine on my 290x. I could even get 4096x2160 @ 48hz to work on my Fury X when I had it. True 4k wont work on my 290x without pixel patcher and only at 30hz.

My native res is 2560x1080@60hz.
    I run 2560x1080@80hz for online games, and 3440x1440@80hz for single player games.

[​IMG]

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    that's just wccft troll guessing at this point.

Of course it will be Vega, maybe it won't be any numbering, but similar to Fury..

20. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2016